RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Trailer lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-24, 11:49 AM
Cfranks
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer lights

When purchasing my 2024 RX350 I was under the understanding it had trailer tow package. After purchase I discovered it did not. Too late now. I asked dealer to install a hitch and lights. They seem not to have ability to do this. I took it to independent shop and had it installed. They could not get trailer lights to work because they said some manufacturers required a software change or addition to activate lights. My dealer keeps transferring me to other departments whelk leave a message and no one ever returns calls. Does this require a software change and if not how do I get lights to work.
Old 04-24-24, 02:40 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

No software change needed.

The OEM tow converter is: PT725-48232

The Curt 56083 will plug into the OEM tow converter and give you a 4-way connector behind your bumper.

It's all plug-and-play -- very easy install.
The following users liked this post:
StefanoS (04-25-24)
Old 04-24-24, 06:15 PM
Cfranks
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
No software change needed.

The OEM tow converter is: PT725-48232

The Curt 56083 will plug into the OEM tow converter and give you a 4-way connector behind your bumper.

It's all plug-and-play -- very easy install.
If your referring to a plug under car on driver side this one doesn’t have a tow package so no such plug exists.
Old 04-24-24, 06:40 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cfranks
If your referring to a plug under car on driver side this one doesn’t have a tow package so no such plug exists.
I provided the two part numbers you need to buy/install. Please re-read the post.
Old 04-25-24, 12:39 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

This is not correct. Commodore is right on point. The plug connection is capped off on the right side and up behind the rear bumper cover. You simply plug the harness in after installing the converter, which plugs in forward of the rear cargo area on the right (passenger's side) and voila.....you will have functioning trailer lights. Mine works just fine. My RX had no tow package showing on the Monroney sticker. All of the RX models have the same wiring harness, regardless of the added equipment at time of assembly.

Last edited by StefanoS; 04-25-24 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-25-24, 01:36 PM
Hilltop
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a reputable place online to buy the tow converter?
Old 04-25-24, 03:48 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hilltop
Is there a reputable place online to buy the tow converter?
This is a franchise Lexus dealer that sells parts and accessories at discounted prices. Delivery was about 3 or 4 days from date of online order.
https://www.mylparts.com/

Curt harness:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by StefanoS; 04-26-24 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-03-24, 02:55 PM
Cfranks
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by StefanoS
This is not correct. Commodore is right on point. The plug connection is capped off on the right side and up behind the rear bumper cover. You simply plug the harness in after installing the converter, which plugs in forward of the rear cargo area on the right (passenger's side) and voila.....you will have functioning trailer lights. Mine works just fine. My RX had no tow package showing on the Monroney sticker. All of the RX models have the same wiring harness, regardless of the added equipment at time of assembly.
Sorry to be so dumb about this but received the tow converter and pigtail today. Exactly where is the connection for the tow converter? I understand it is on passenger side forward of rear cargo area. Not able to locate it yet. Found connector on rear side but not the same. Is it necessary to remove all the tool storage holders to locate it? Again I apologize for being a bother.
Old 05-03-24, 03:46 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Sorry to be so dumb about this but received the tow converter and pigtail today. Exactly where is the connection for the tow converter? I understand it is on passenger side forward of rear cargo area. Not able to locate it yet. Found connector on rear side but not the same. Is it necessary to remove all the tool storage holders to locate it? Again I apologize for being a bother.
I've attached the Lexus install instructions to this post.
Attached Files
The following 2 users liked this post by CommodoreAmiga:
Carbuff2 (05-04-24), Urlik (05-03-24)
Old 05-03-24, 05:03 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

It's time consuming but, not super difficult. There are quite a few things to remove in order to gain access to the area. Take your time so that no small plastic items are broken in the process. It may be a good idea to snap a few photos with your cell phone during the process, so you know how things reassemble. There is only one large unused plug that the tow converter will plug into. It is taped off on the right side. You should have received a small metal bracket along with the converter.
Old 06-17-24, 02:14 PM
adamalbert
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

CommodoreAmiga:
Thank you for posting these instructions.
I am using the Tekonsha product (didn't know about the OEM) but the install is very similar and the Lexus instruction show the install/placement better.
Thank you,
Adam
Old 06-22-24, 10:42 AM
Den49
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered the Lexus Tow Converter PT725-48232 and the Curt 56083 Custom Wiring Connector. Below is a picture of what I received. I notice that the Lexus and Curt connectors are both female and are different sizes and configurations. They obviously don’t plug directly to each other. Before I disassemble the cargo area, I would appreciate if those who have done this could help with the below questions.

Do I have the right parts?

Are there two male connectors in the vehicle’s existing harness that the Lexus Tow Connector and the Curt connector plug into?

How does one remove the two-prong plastic hook that the upper loop of the cargo net hangs from?

Thanks.

Old 06-22-24, 10:44 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Den49
I ordered the Lexus Tow Converter PT725-48232 and the Curt 56083 Custom Wiring Connector. Below is a picture of what I received. I notice that the Lexus and Curt connectors are both female and are different sizes and configurations. They obviously don’t plug directly to each other. Before I disassemble the cargo area, I would appreciate if those who have done this could help with the below questions.

Do I have the right parts?

Are there two male connectors in the vehicle’s existing harness that the Lexus Tow Connector and the Curt connector plug into?

How does one remove the two-prong plastic hook that the upper loop of the cargo net hangs from?

Thanks.
There is a harness that goes between the tow converter and the Curt 4-pin harness. That intermediary harness is installed in all RX at the factory.

Please read the instructions that have been posted in this thread. I think they will answer all your questions. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...structions.pdf
Den49 (06-22-24)
Old 06-22-24, 11:08 AM
Den49
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks CommodoreAmig. That makes sense.

The instructions are not clear, but it appears the cargo net hook has to be removed in order to remove the side panel. Does the cargo net hook have to be pulled or turned to remove it?
Old 06-22-24, 11:28 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Den49
The instructions are not clear, but it appears the cargo net hook has to be removed in order to remove the side panel. Does the cargo net hook have to be pulled or turned to remove it?
There are bolts behind the cargo net hooks that must be removed. Twist the hooks and they unlock.
Den49 (06-22-24)

Quick Reply: Trailer lights