RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Drivers side mirror distortion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-24, 08:06 AM
mjlkls
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Drivers side mirror distortion

That mirror can have a "funhouse" mirror" or "distorted optically" and may cause a feeling of "nauseation" effect to vehicles seen in the mirror. I see it more at vehicles in mirror 5+ car lengths.

This is on a 2024 RX 350 Premium Plus with film and heated mirror. I suspect it is on every Toyota product with one or both of these features. While Lexus refused to acknowledged this as abnormal, the dealership was "quoted" above. The dealership did replace the "funhouse' mirror. It was really bad. They cannot get Lexus to replace with another replacement as this is not a "defect" and has been repaired under warranty to normal conditions (letter from Lexus). So distorted view is the Lexus quality.

Let me back up - This is the most comfortable and fun driving vehicle I have had in my 40+ years of owning vehicles. This is my one nagging complaint. Nagging because it is always there. Lexus brand service representative said the driver's mirror wasn't a driving safety item.

Lexus has confirmed that this is "normal". I simply told them I would let those who didn't know: know. And those who are out there and complained and might have been told that wasn't a defect: it is true; it is "normal" for Lexus.

Last edited by mjlkls; 05-07-24 at 08:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dundik (05-15-24)
Old 05-07-24, 11:15 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Then why did they replace the first time if it is normal? Did dealer compare with cars on the lot?
Old 05-07-24, 11:33 AM
KennyE
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I have a '23 PP, never noticed any distortion in the side mirror on mine. Our '22 Venza Ltd didn't have any, either. Do you maybe wear bifocals, multi-focals?
Old 05-07-24, 05:58 PM
mjlkls
4th Gear

Default Answer to question

The funhouse version is a recognized defect. It is really bad. Lexus replaced that one.

The distorted version is “normal” per Lexus. Lexus has no solution and thus have repaired per warranty. The dealer has more of the complaints from other customers. I was at the dealership and with the service manager and showed him how to recognize. He said “once you see you can’t unsee. So they checked their inventory and they saw in every vehicle. They had never realized the fact it is all that level.
Old 05-08-24, 09:20 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlkls
The funhouse version is a recognized defect. It is really bad. Lexus replaced that one.

The distorted version is “normal” per Lexus. Lexus has no solution and thus have repaired per warranty. The dealer has more of the complaints from other customers. I was at the dealership and with the service manager and showed him how to recognize. He said “once you see you can’t unsee. So they checked their inventory and they saw in every vehicle. They had never realized the fact it is all that level.
Interesting. Never had issues with mirrors. Maybe Kansas got all the bad ones?
Old 05-08-24, 01:20 PM
KennyE
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
Interesting. Never had issues with mirrors. Maybe Kansas got all the bad ones?
We purchased ours in Kansas. Argh. Now I'm going to have to go look!
Old 05-12-24, 07:39 AM
cafantom
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mjlkls

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed this issue too! I have a ‘24 RX 350 Luxury and the wonky side view mirror is driving me crazy.

How did you end up getting your dealership or Lexus corporate to fix the issue? Do you know what they did to repair it?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-24, 08:53 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 659 Likes on 447 Posts

This thread really needs some pictures.
The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (05-13-24)
Old 05-12-24, 10:45 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Where's the "Unlike" button?
Old 05-12-24, 04:29 PM
mjlkls
4th Gear

Default My last piece for the mirrors I noted

I wish the distortion showed up in pictures. It is a distortion not in a rear view mirror. Didn’t work. I tried for Lexus as well.

if the distortion is really bad, they will replace the whole mirror assembly with film and heating connections. But when it is just acceptable, then they won’t.

Again, I just wish Lexus wouldn’t call that level of acknowledged issue “normal” and correct it.
Old 05-15-24, 04:42 PM
dundik
2nd gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am glad I am not the only one with this weird driver side mirror. I have had the car (Rx500h) for a couple of months. At first, I found it hard to pick the right description of the problem. By now, I guess, I got used to the distorted effect a bit. But it is still on my list of complains when I find time to get to the dealer.