RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Windshield tinting

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 09:24 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Windshield tinting

Did not find a thread specifically addressing tinting the windshield and whether that leads to any problems with the sensors or automated driving ?

This is for tinting with a clear, high quality film from a reputed installer with a medical exemption - so as to block out further UV and as much IR (heat) as possible. The installer will not remove the rear-view mirror assembly and will simply install the film around it, with a clear ceramic, non-metallic tint that shouldn't affect electronics. Teslas and EV's do this sort of tinting most often. The manual does say "Do not attach window tint to the wind-shield" - without offering any reason or explanation why not.

Anyone who has successfully installed such a windshield tint and have the experience ?
Old 06-02-24, 04:52 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I had windshield clear tint on my Infiniti Q50S. It didn't mess with electronics but it had a color smear on trees and vegetation, that went away after some months.
Old 06-02-24, 05:03 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Klamalama
I had windshield clear tint on my Infiniti Q50S. It didn't mess with electronics but it had a color smear on trees and vegetation, that went away after some months.
Yes, from every tint shop I have asked, they say it won't mess with the electronics. I've no reason to doubt them, but still wondering if I'm missing something - since this is a new model with scant experience/reports of tinting the windshield. I will ask the tinter to carefully protect the dash with towels etc against moisture and water during the tinting process.

Which tint brand did you use. Assuming the visible smear was a temporary effect of the film/moisture - were you happy with the heat/UV blocking in TX heat ?
Old 06-02-24, 05:42 PM
2023RX350
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine tinted with XPEL using 70% light transmission. I have a HUD and it works fine. Actually I really like it a lot because it also cuts glare from sun.

The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (06-02-24)
Old 06-04-24, 05:29 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't recall the brand of tint except it was one of the two major brands. I lived in Maryland then, so heat wasn't as severe as Texas. However, I felt that it made a noticeable difference. I may still get it for the windshield.
Old 06-04-24, 08:37 PM
enduro963
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the whole RX at Sunbusters Austin with Dave, they are real pros at this. The windshield was done with LLumar Air 90, which is clear.

The rest of the car, windows and panoramic sunroof with LLumar Formula One Stratos series in 15, 30 and 50% depending on where. This product speaks about no signal interference, but I have not had any problems in my RX since installing both. I highly recommend them.

Old 06-04-24, 08:41 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by enduro963
I did the whole RX at Sunbusters Austin with Dave, they are real pros at this. The windshield was done with LLumar Air 90, which is clear.
Thanks for the details: With the Llumar Air 90, did you have any blueish hue/tint on the windshield looking in from outside, or looking out from inside ? Or any distortions such oncoming headlights in the night, or rainbowing or haze dure the day ?

Most stores only stock the Llumar Air 80, at least where I'm in California - as they say that Air 90 doesn't provide sufficient heat reduction. Did you find sufficient heat reduction with the Air 90 ?

enduro963 (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 09:07 PM
enduro963
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No hue or tint on the windshield, it is a very clear film. Maybe, with my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, I can see rainbowing sometimes, but nothing to bother me.

The Air 80 has 60% IR Energy Rejection, while the Air 90 has 40%, it is less, I suppose because it is clearer. What I wanted for the windshield was the clearest film, for driving security. It is better than stock because I am also gettting 99% UV protection. You will have to decide your priorities.
wrinkle (06-04-24)
Old 06-12-24, 05:48 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

So, I got the windshield done with Llumar Air 80. Thanks for the feedback.

After the film has cured, I don't see any haze or rainbowing, even with polarized sunglasses - and my vision is close to perfect. I did get it installed at a Llumar SelectPro dealer (and paid slightly more than quoted at other Llumar dealers in NorCal) because I was worried about the quality of the installation, which matters a lot for visual artifacts (that I have OCD for).

The minor bluish tint is only apparent if only compared side-by-side with an identical car without the tint, I suppose - but not otherwise, at least in sunny weather of California. I had seen some properly white-balanced Tesla pictures in Tesla forums, where the bluish tint seemed more apparent in cloudy/snowy/overcast skies, but definitely very minimal in sunny weather in my experience. The installer was recommending Llumar Stratos 70 for better heat rejection, but while I opted for Stratos 40 on the pano sunroof for heat rejection, I played it safe for windshield - as I perceived a greater risk of visual artifacts or bluish hue with the thicker, dual layered Llumar Stratos 70.

With A/C set at auto, I can hear the fans definitely blowing slower as well as the cabin feeling cooler after the films on the windows, sunroof and windshield. Definitely needed the sunroof (most effect) and windshield to see the effect - as those were biggest sources of heat in the cabin.

Oh as an additional bonus, with my polarized sunglasses on, I actually can see the HUD now clearer with Air 80 on the windshield. Nice unexpected surprise!

Last edited by wrinkle; 06-12-24 at 05:52 PM.
enduro963 (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 03:33 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Windshield tint is not legal in CA.
Old 06-13-24, 04:10 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by krafty81
Windshield tint is not legal in CA.
Well known.
Old 06-14-24, 05:19 AM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

windshield tint is illegal in all 50 states, unless you have a medical waiver
Old 06-14-24, 12:48 PM
jumpman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no issues, i have 60% ceramic on windshield
Old 06-14-24, 01:42 PM
gvan1998
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpman
no issues, i have 60% ceramic on windshield
lol no issues until you get pulled over
autotech13 (06-15-24)
Old 06-14-24, 04:39 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Aside from medical waiver, at least in California, law enforcement apparently merely "eyeballs" for windshield tint (as don't likely have access to or carry meters with 2-side independent components that can measure windshield visible light transmission level - in other words, they don't care if its not obvious or actually impeding vision, apparently). Therefore, having the lightest possible tint is usually the most prudent - such as the Air 80 or 90, which one can't even tell if is present.

The letter of the law is almost written/amended to favor "don't ask, don't tell", for colorless tints.

Quick Reply: Windshield tinting