RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Car Maintenance Tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-24, 04:39 PM
Ascho
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tammap
Another tip for you car nuts out there like me.

The rotor's thinnest area is where it makes contact and is sandwiched between the hub and the wheel. Even in brand new rotor, the thinnest area under the microscope still has peaks and valleys. Imagine rust has formed between the rotor and the hub, and rotor and the wheel. Heat will no longer able to transfer to those two components.

I have always applied a very thin layer of copper antiseize on the surface of the hub to prevent rust and also to help with heat transfer, and a thin layer on the rotor and the wheel side.

The hubs and wheels will absorb some of the heat from the rotors and you will never have a problem with the rotors seizing to the hub and less likely of the rotor's warpage.

Cheers.
very interesting but above my skill level
Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 199 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by tammap
Brake rotor warpage usually happens when your foot rests on the brake at a stop.
Actually IME that is brake pad material transfer. Can be prevented by stopping a car-length back, and creeping to the intersection.

I have always applied a very thin layer of copper antiseize on the surface of the hub
Me too, acts as heat sink paste! Needed during our race/HPDE days. Too much and it files all over the place. <---Don't ask me how I learned that!
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
BLUKTY2
Driver

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Great thread and I have something else to add; changing the brake fluid. From what I have seen over the decades, this is an often overlooked maintenance procedure which is quite easy to do if you have at least a fair amount of mechanical ability and some very basic tools.

In addition to my Lexus I have a Ram 3500 and a Volvo XC60. The RAM recommended change interval is 2 years while the Volvo is 4 years. So I change out the brake fluid in these vehicles every 3-4 years. There are plenty of Youtube tutorials on how to do this and I use the two person method; my wife works the brake peddle while I work the bleed nipple at the calipers. There is no need to jack up either vehicle and the whole process goes so easy that my wife and I are still speaking to each other when done!

I plan on changing the brake fluid in my Lexus in another 2-3 years.