RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Drive Modes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 08:27 PM
newbielexus
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Modes

Can someone explain the different drive modes to me? I have only owned my rx350 for a couple months. Im really unhappy with the jolty behavior of the engine. Today i switched from normal mode to sport and eco, they were both considerably more smooth than normal mode. Is this normal? Can i drive in eco all of the time or is it only for when my fuel tank is low? Please HELP!
Old 09-10-24, 11:52 PM
Measured
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 61 Posts

The drive modes as listed by Lexus. However, the ECU learns your driving behaviors and adjusts accordingly overtime.

ECO, truthfully shouldn't ever be used as most folks have a tendency to overcompensate with the throttle thus reducing the impact it is meant to have. Learn to be smooth with your throttle in normal and you'll be fine.

My GS performs drastically different than my brother in law who drives like he's on a perpetual Sunday drive. It's such a difference that my throttle response is significantly more responsive.

Snow mode which isn't mentioned is nothing more than the vehicle starting in a higher gear to reduce tire slip.

Eco Mode

Eco Mode improves the car's efficiency by reducing fuel consumption. This is typically achieved by reducing the fuel that enters the engine and shutting down some of its cylinders. Besides this, the air-conditioner temperature and the throttle response are often reduced to save fuel and enhance mileage capabilities.

EV Mode

Lexus cars should automatically operate in EV mode when driven below 45km/h. Hybrid vehicles with moderate powertrains may not have this mode available, and therefore it can be selected manually.

Sport Mode

The vehicle will be more maneuverable in sport mode and perform better because it emphasizes dynamic handling. The powertrain output and supply voltage are increased to achieve this. Engine revs will be higher, as well as EPS (Electric Power Steering) and throttle.

Moreover, vehicle traction control and stability are less intrusive in Sport Mode. As a result, Lexus drivers can enhance their vehicle's performance without constraints.
Old 09-11-24, 06:31 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 606 Likes on 422 Posts

I drive in ECO mode most of the times.

It suits my driving. You have to try all to see which best matches your driving.
Old 09-11-24, 07:54 AM
Carbuff2
Intermediate

Received 222 Likes on 158 Posts

Also, note the mention of reduced A/C operation in ECO, a fuel-saving setting.

I'll admit, we haven't felt a lack of A/C performance, but we don't live in an area with triple-digit ambient temperatures, either.