RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 11:00 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexypoo25
Anyone else struggling with deciding whether or not to buy the current gen model vs waiting for the new one? Really want the 450h, not excited about turbo engine and all digital display (prefer hard buttons at least for some controls) seen in the new nx which will probably cross over into the rx
After owning first year models of the 3rd and 4th gen (2010 and 2016), the jump between generations is just too huge of a chasm. Technology changes rapidly and the new 450h is supposed to be much faster. Don't forget Porsche is right up there with Lexus in JDPowers VDS reliability studies and most of their cars are turbos.

Also Lexus just gave a facelift in 3rd and 4th generation mid-cycle refreshes. Nothing major was added.
Old 08-09-21, 06:14 AM
Lexypoo25
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
After owning first year models of the 3rd and 4th gen (2010 and 2016), the jump between generations is just too huge of a chasm. Technology changes rapidly and the new 450h is supposed to be much faster. Don't forget Porsche is right up there with Lexus in JDPowers VDS reliability studies and most of their cars are turbos.

Also Lexus just gave a facelift in 3rd and 4th generation mid-cycle refreshes. Nothing major was added.
Did you have any major issues with owning first year models?
Old 08-09-21, 09:00 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexypoo25
Did you have any major issues with owning first year models?
Nope. Also remember that you're covered by warranty. But what is minor to me may be major to you:

Brake squawking - brake actuator was changed
Hand warmers not warm - this is by design and still the same in newer year RXs

What's the point of buying a "new" car if you're not getting the latest features? It's like buying an iphone 5 vs. iphone 4S. At $800, it's a no-brainer decision. At $60k, things get blown out of proportion but the concept is similar.

Even so, I feel there are more people who regret buying the latest generation vs. those that regret not buying an older generation. My two cents.
The following users liked this post:
ghost31711 (08-10-21)
Old 08-09-21, 09:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I will probably be first in line for the next gen RX. No fear
Old 08-09-21, 02:09 PM
ericsan13
Racer

No more RX for me, I'm going for something faster and bigger.
The following 4 users liked this post by ericsan13:
dannnn (09-07-21), GS350Miami (08-11-21), neprosto (08-10-21), stlgrym3 (08-10-21)
Old 08-09-21, 02:15 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I think the "Enterprise" is spoken for already! 😇
Old 08-10-21, 10:04 AM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Nope. Also remember that you're covered by warranty. But what is minor to me may be major to you:

Brake squawking - brake actuator was changed
Hand warmers not warm - this is by design and still the same in newer year RXs

What's the point of buying a "new" car if you're not getting the latest features? It's like buying an iphone 5 vs. iphone 4S. At $800, it's a no-brainer decision. At $60k, things get blown out of proportion but the concept is similar.

Even so, I feel there are more people who regret buying the latest generation vs. those that regret not buying an older generation. My two cents.
Valid and convincing perspective. I especially agree when we're talking about Toyota/Lexus. It's not like we're talking about the first EV, or brand new engine transmission coming from Alfa Romeo or Fiat.

But regarding iPhone. I jumped the gun 10 years ago and got the iPhone 4 when it first came out... it had a faulty antenna design somehow related the silver edge trim (front and back are glass). i couldn't get reception anywhere. that was the last iPhone I ever owned.
Old 08-10-21, 11:19 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by ghost31711
Valid and convincing perspective. I especially agree when we're talking about Toyota/Lexus. It's not like we're talking about the first EV, or brand new engine transmission coming from Alfa Romeo or Fiat.

But regarding iPhone. I jumped the gun 10 years ago and got the iPhone 4 when it first came out... it had a faulty antenna design somehow related the silver edge trim (front and back are glass). i couldn't get reception anywhere. that was the last iPhone I ever owned.
Antennagate! What a blast from the past. Anyway using analogy of iPhones, how often did problems like that occur with future models? Also, what was the magnitude?

Slightly off topic from Wikipedia:
"Additionally, Jobs cited figures from AppleCare which showed that only 0.55 percent of all iPhone 4 users have complained to the company about the issue, while the number of phones returned to Apple was 1.7 percent – 4.3 percentage points less than the number of iPhone 3GS models that were returned in the first month of the phone's launch."
Yes, the figures are from AppleCare but this shows that people still preferred the latest generation.

"Despite the negative media attention regarding the antenna issues, 72% of iPhone 4 users say that they are "very satisfied" with their iPhone 4 according to an August 2010 survey by ChangeWave Research."

I had a 4 too and above statement shows it was blown out of proportion. But I expect that if it had affected me I wouldn't have been happy about it either.

Anyway I tend to be an early adopter and everyone is on a different place on the adoption lifecycle.
Old 08-10-21, 11:57 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

We had and loved our 2011 RX350 FWD, no nav. We wanted all the electronic bells and whistles, so we got a 2021 RX350 AWD with the big screen. Now that the novelty has worn off, we only use the back-up camera with rear cross-traffic warning. My wife loves those features. BTW, we don't drive much, mostly short drives to the stores. Freeway features such as lane departure and radar cruise aren't used because we are on the same short freeway stretch repeatedly. We still look over our shoulders when changing lanes and merging. Lastly, the sheet metal seems thinner on the new one. Thanks.
Old 08-10-21, 04:56 PM
neprosto
10th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Same here! 4th gen is good as picture on wall
Hopefully 5th gen will have V6 twin turbo as LS last gen. Checked european test drives of new Toyota LC, they replaced V8 within V6 turbo. In term of dynamic that's a big step.
The following users liked this post:
dibl (09-07-21)
Old 08-11-21, 06:10 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by neprosto
Same here! 4th gen is good as picture on wall
Hopefully 5th gen will have V6 twin turbo as LS last gen. Checked european test drives of new Toyota LC, they replaced V8 within V6 turbo. In term of dynamic that's a big step.
I don't need nor desire the turbos. Read the LS forum - that twin turbo isn't the most reliable engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
dibl (09-07-21), mrolds69 (08-12-21)
Old 09-07-21, 01:14 PM
15MPG
2nd gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Love my new RX 350L, but that 5th gen... hmmm...

I just bought a new RX 350L last month and love it (haha except for the mileage, hence the nick). I owned a LX470 a couple of decades ago and put 118K miles on that one. And I just joined the forum here and wanted to say "hi".

Having bought the new 350L and having spent a lot of time the last few months looking at all the alternatives, I'm now curious about the 5th gen, likely in 2023, once the world can make semiconductors and car parts again. I found that internet video in websurfer's post on 7/22/21, which contains some possible info leaks. Well...wow...now I'm very glad I bought the 4th gen. :/ Not a fan of the Mazda-like 4 cylinder turbo or of that beehive/spindle grille, if both of those actualy make it into the car. I do like the report of lithium batteries in the 5th gen hybrid. The NiMH battery tech was the only thing holding me back from buying a 450h this time.

I will be very curious to see what the Genesis GV80 has for 2023. I was impressed, in general, with the interior and several things during my looking this year. I came away thinking "in a couple of more years this could turn into a real luxury car competitor". For 2023 I see rumors of a dual-control A/C system for the rear seat in the GV80. Would love to see that in the 5th gen RX, one control for each rear seat passenger. Also rumors of a longer and bigger GV90.

Speaking of longer and bigger - those rumors of a Toyota "Grand Highlander" coming, after people found the name trademark registration by Toyota. Since the RX is an upscale Highlander I have hopes that in 2023 there might also be a "Grand RX 350" version, maybe replacing the 350L. Like my 350L but a third row that people can actually sit in, plus the missing 3 inches of legroom back for the front and rear rows. Haha best case scenario there: a "grand 450Lh" with lithium batteries and the extra length and legroom. If Lexus wants to stuff a turbo I4 in that it might be OK since that engine would presumably be used less with more battery capacity.

At any rate, my ramblings on the 5th gen. Will be interesting to see what actually debuts!
Old 09-07-21, 02:59 PM
dibl
Instructor

Received 688 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I don't need nor desire the turbos.
Me neither. Read any car forum since about 1985, and the story on turbo reliability is pretty much the same.
Old 09-07-21, 04:34 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

anyone think 5th gen RX gonna get delayed due to chip shortages?
Old 09-07-21, 06:38 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Maybe the LQ might be right for you. https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/lq
Ray A.

Quick Reply: 5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads