RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-22, 03:40 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by azmojo
With the minimal changes, you realize that all they have to do is slap a 2023 VIN on it, right? Not much re-tooling needed.
Maybe you meant to post in the NX350?

The only thing the same in the 2023 RX is ? not sure there is anything.
Old 09-19-22, 06:45 AM
azmojo
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ElBerryKM
What are you talking about? 2023 RX is a redesign.
Sorry, wrong forum.
Old 09-19-22, 07:35 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I just put a reservation on an RX350h and I'm excited like a kid at Christmas time. Even though the wait times are probably stupid long, I don't mind, I'm ready mentally I'm currently driving an RX350 that I love (except for the weird transmission stuff) so the wait won't be too painful, just exciting
Old 09-19-22, 09:19 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,545 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by BumbleD
I just put a reservation on an RX350h and I'm excited like a kid at Christmas time. Even though the wait times are probably stupid long, I don't mind, I'm ready mentally I'm currently driving an RX350 that I love (except for the weird transmission stuff) so the wait won't be too painful, just exciting
You reserved through a dealer or Lexus? How does that work?
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 09:57 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
On the Lexus website there's now a "Reserve my 2023 RX" button (probably appeared after they lifted the embargo on Sept. 9th). From there you can pay your deposit ($1000 Canadian bucks in this case), specify your favorite local dealership, the model you want to reserve, etc. The dealership then contacts you for the rest of the process (color and trim level choice, etc). They still don't have any info about price or wait times though. It even seemed difficult for them to give me trim level info. We'll see how it goes... I'll keep you guys posted.
FMY421 (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 10:38 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I just ordered an NX 350h - this is what the process looked like.

I paid a deposit ($1000) at the dealership to get on the list, and specified the option package and color combos I wanted. One dealer said the deposit was refundable, another did not offer a refundable deposit. So that may vary so just make sure what you are signing up for. You'll likely have to sign something if the deposit is non refundable. I went with the dealer that was refundable.

Lexus will build the cars they want to build, in the quantity and configurations they think match what the customers want to buy. In the case of the NX, they build mostly Premium package cars, fewer base models and Luxury package models. They send these allocations to dealerships in whatever manner Lexus sees fit (they do not, for example, have any knowledge of what the wait-list demand is for a dealership). When the cars arrive, the dealers compare the inventory they get to the list they have, and start matching up buyers. So your odds improve if you pick the options that Lexus builds the most of, and if you are flexible on colors. The more specific equipment and colors you want, you may wait longer because you are at the mercy of whatever Lexus ships (or whatever that dealer can do to trade inventory with other dealers). I'll eventually get a call when my number is up, and I'll get a chance to accept or decline what's available. If I pass, I wait then for the next batch. If I want it, I go in and complete the purchase.

They said you could order a specific build from Lexus, but the guy I talked to said Lexus was not being very cooperative about what they view as a "custom" order and the wait time would be between "no idea" and "insanely long".
The following 2 users liked this post by 1Louder:
BumbleD (09-19-22), FMY421 (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 11:15 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Cool - thanks to both of you for those explanations.
The following 2 users liked this post by mikemu30:
1Louder (09-19-22), BumbleD (09-19-22)
Old 09-19-22, 01:27 PM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

That is insanity. Imagine buying a new house like that.
Builder: tell us what you want but we'll build what we like.
Old 09-19-22, 01:56 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Klamalama
That is insanity. Imagine buying a new house like that.
Builder: tell us what you want but we'll build what we like.
most buyers find one in inventory they like and buy off the lot anyway.
Old 09-19-22, 03:05 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 396 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Louder

I paid a deposit ($1000) at the dealership to get on the list, and specified the option package and color combos I wanted. One dealer said the deposit was refundable, another did not offer a refundable deposit. So that may vary so just make sure what you are signing up for. You'll likely have to sign something if the deposit is non refundable. I went with the dealer that was refundable.

Lexus will build the cars they want to build, in the quantity and configurations they think match what the customers want to buy. In the case of the NX, they build mostly Premium package cars, fewer base models and Luxury package models. They send these allocations to dealerships in whatever manner Lexus sees fit (they do not, for example, have any knowledge of what the wait-list demand is for a dealership). When the cars arrive, the dealers compare the inventory they get to the list they have, and start matching up buyers. So your odds improve if you pick the options that Lexus builds the most of, and if you are flexible on colors. The more specific equipment and colors you want, you may wait longer because you are at the mercy of whatever Lexus ships (or whatever that dealer can do to trade inventory with other dealers). I'll eventually get a call when my number is up, and I'll get a chance to accept or decline what's available. If I pass, I wait then for the next batch. If I want it, I go in and complete the purchase.

They said you could order a specific build from Lexus, but the guy I talked to said Lexus was not being very cooperative about what they view as a "custom" order and the wait time would be between "no idea" and "insanely long".
Indeed, that's exactly the same thing with my 2023 RX deposit. That's the way it works now, and frankly the auto companies love it. You buy what they build, and pay a premium for it, and they blame the "chip shortage" for another few years. Dealers carry no inventory and don't discount. This is what they have always dreamed of, and there is no way to stop it unless people buy dramatically fewer new cars.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 09-19-22 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-19-22, 03:10 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Indeed, that's exactly the same thing with my 2023 RX deposit. That's the way it works now, and frankly the auto companies love it. You buy what they build, and pay a premium for it, and they blame the "chip shortage" for another few years. Dealers carry no inventory and don't discount. This is what they have always dreamed of, and there is no way to stop unless people buy dramatically fewer new cars.
Not true. There's dealer inventory out there. My daughter purchased a new car in May. They quoted 4k over sticker, she declined and essentially drove the car out for msrp. The dealers want this kind of thinking to never end. With a new redesigned model it's a bit different but not much.
Old 09-19-22, 03:35 PM
blueless
Pit Crew

Received 91 Likes on 60 Posts
Lightbulb dealer-to-dealer trades

My dealer said it was unable to fulfill my desired color combo/options, but soon called back to say they swapped an allocation with another dealer. Ask your dealer if they're willing to "trade" allocations with other dealers.

Originally Posted by 1Louder

1Louder (09-19-22)
Old 09-20-22, 06:13 PM
LexusTesla
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a feeling that the 4th gen V6 RX's will be in high demand vs the new 4 cylinder turbo ones. I know I'm not getting rid of our 2020 450hL anytime soon.
BumbleD (09-20-22)
Old 09-21-22, 05:49 AM
richardyc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by blueless
My dealer said it was unable to fulfill my desired color combo/options, but soon called back to say they swapped an allocation with another dealer. Ask your dealer if they're willing to "trade" allocations with other dealers.

the 'problem' with this is the other dealer will mostly just drive the car that you are buying to your dealer to do the swap, and most Lexus dealers are so spread out, this could add 50-100 miles to the brand new car during the critical break-in period. If you are OK with that, I guess this is not an issue.
Old 09-22-22, 03:20 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Just curious since one can now reserve an RX. Has anyone been given a timeline when pricing will be available?

Quick Reply: 5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads