RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21 | 12:10 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by raylor4
Maybe the LQ might be right for you. https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/lq
Ray A.
Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking for something more in the LX, RR, GLS, X7 class. Without knowing the dimensions, this looks to be more of an X6, Q8, GLE competitor.

I pre-ordered a Rivian R1S. If the LQ is priced at $80k, I'm not sure how it will be able to compete.
Old 09-08-21 | 12:12 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
anyone think 5th gen RX gonna get delayed due to chip shortages?
Seems likely.
Old 09-08-21 | 12:19 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Everyone is getting delayed due to semiconductor shortages. Even semiconductor companies are having a hard time getting their own parts to build systems. During the past decade, many semiconductor CEOs spent more money on stock buybacks than investing in new fabs, thus when demand ramped too quickly, they were not prepared. Also, many car companies cancelled all their semiconductors orders during the pandemic beginning. Then when demand started again, they placed their orders too late and at the bottom of the queue, so they trailed everyone else. All this was very shortsighted and very predictable.
Old 09-08-21 | 12:20 PM
ghost31711
Pit Crew

I think Toyota is cutting current production ( I'm not even sure if RX is affected)to secure production of on coming generation, they are not as competitive as they would be against 2022 MDX and QX60, etc with the current model as they would be with newer model.

Or maybe it isn't like that with chips and cars, it's not like saving butter for making cake, who knows. But it's interesting the new Tundra won't be affected by the reduction in production.
Old 09-13-21 | 02:31 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 15MPG
I just bought a new RX 350L last month and love it (haha except for the mileage, hence the nick). I owned a LX470 a couple of decades ago and put 118K miles on that one. And I just joined the forum here and wanted to say "hi".

Having bought the new 350L and having spent a lot of time the last few months looking at all the alternatives, I'm now curious about the 5th gen, likely in 2023, once the world can make semiconductors and car parts again. I found that internet video in websurfer's post on 7/22/21, which contains some possible info leaks. Well...wow...now I'm very glad I bought the 4th gen. :/ Not a fan of the Mazda-like 4 cylinder turbo or of that beehive/spindle grille, if both of those actualy make it into the car. I do like the report of lithium batteries in the 5th gen hybrid. The NiMH battery tech was the only thing holding me back from buying a 450h this time.

I will be very curious to see what the Genesis GV80 has for 2023. I was impressed, in general, with the interior and several things during my looking this year. I came away thinking "in a couple of more years this could turn into a real luxury car competitor". For 2023 I see rumors of a dual-control A/C system for the rear seat in the GV80. Would love to see that in the 5th gen RX, one control for each rear seat passenger. Also rumors of a longer and bigger GV90.

Speaking of longer and bigger - those rumors of a Toyota "Grand Highlander" coming, after people found the name trademark registration by Toyota. Since the RX is an upscale Highlander I have hopes that in 2023 there might also be a "Grand RX 350" version, maybe replacing the 350L. Like my 350L but a third row that people can actually sit in, plus the missing 3 inches of legroom back for the front and rear rows. Haha best case scenario there: a "grand 450Lh" with lithium batteries and the extra length and legroom. If Lexus wants to stuff a turbo I4 in that it might be OK since that engine would presumably be used less with more battery capacity.

At any rate, my ramblings on the 5th gen. Will be interesting to see what actually debuts!
If you follow some Lexus news, you might see that TX 500 h and TX350 are coming in November 2022. 2023 RX 350 and RX 500 h are also coming for MY 2023.

TX is essentially the next generation RXL separated by nameplate now.

Yes, it's possible. Toyota let out their 2023MY timetable and almost everything has been forced into late 2022-February 2023, except for the new Sequoia in February 2022.

All automakers are introducing vehicles mid-model year on purpose. The next Prius, is launched in February 2023 as a 2023 model. Typically it be in the fall.

Originally Posted by raylor4
Maybe the LQ might be right for you. https://www.caranddriver.com/lexus/lq
Ray A.
I have mentioned in a few forums, there is no LQ. LQ was a weird Toyota concept and the trademark for it, was not for Lexus. There is no LF-1, as that became RZ450e due in August 2022 (reveal or launch?).

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking for something more in the LX, RR, GLS, X7 class. Without knowing the dimensions, this looks to be more of an X6, Q8, GLE competitor.

I pre-ordered a Rivian R1S. If the LQ is priced at $80k, I'm not sure how it will be able to compete.
Again, there is no LQ coming. It's misleading information unfortunately, as LF-1 probably gave way to RZ450e, which is LFZ.
Old 09-15-21 | 12:43 PM
fodalo
Instructor

Thanks Carmaker. I also have been looking at the Genesis and like the look. I heard thru the dealer that they have become there own brand and like but I shied away because there ratings and reliability issues were on the lower end of the scale. I'm being patient, so good info Carmaker.
The following users liked this post:
Carmaker1 (09-17-21)
Old 09-15-21 | 01:31 PM
jer
Instructor

Have seen info elsewhere stating the 5th gen RX will have turbo 4's. Hopefully this is just one engine choice and there will still be a V6. Would be really nice if it was the TTV6
Old 09-16-21 | 10:20 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

No shortage of 4GEN RXs from what I can tell. A large dealer nearby currently has 125 in stock including 21s and 22s.
Old 09-17-21 | 03:57 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by fodalo
Thanks Carmaker. I also have been looking at the Genesis and like the look. I heard thru the dealer that they have become there own brand and like but I shied away because there ratings and reliability issues were on the lower end of the scale. I'm being patient, so good info Carmaker.
Sure, you're welcome fodalo. I want everyone to have the insight, which Toyota doesn't provide and knows ahead of time, like Mercedes-Benz and BMW owners like myself do.

I have known about the next generation 7-Series (G70) details since 2019, yet it won't be on sale until October 2022. I own a 2019 M760i xDrive in addition to one modern Toyota product, so I notice Toyota by comparison keeps Lexus extremely close to vest.

Originally Posted by jer
Have seen info elsewhere stating the 5th gen RX will have turbo 4's. Hopefully this is just one engine choice and there will still be a V6. Would be really nice if it was the TTV6
Well, RX 350 (like NX) and then RX 350h will be NA. As I mentioned, RX 500h will be offered. Forget about turbo V6, only for RWD models. Nothing on TNGA-K/GA-K. Arrives November 2022.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 09-17-21 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-30-21 | 07:03 PM
Razor2022
Rookie

Question

Hi guys, new member here. I have a bit of a problem, I ordered a 2022 RX 450h but the 2023 refresh is coming next year. I'm torn now whether to wait or not. What would you guys do?
Old 09-30-21 | 07:49 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

I would recommend waiting, if you can wait. If you do not like the new model, then you can get the 2022 cheaper.

For a preview of possible changes take a look at the 2022 NX. It has bigger screens, improved safety systems, plug-in hybrids, digital key, more power, more illumination inside and out, etc.
https://pressroom.lexus.com/the-all-...uxury-in-mind/
JasDmw (10-01-21)
Old 09-30-21 | 08:36 PM
Razor2022
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexnewbi
I would recommend waiting, if you can wait. If you do not like the new model, then you can get the 2022 cheaper.

For a preview of possible changes take a look at the 2022 NX. It has bigger screens, improved safety systems, plug-in hybrids, digital key, more power, more illumination inside and out, etc.
https://pressroom.lexus.com/the-all-...uxury-in-mind/
Hmmm, I'm not sure how much cheaper it will be. The car will be sold (a RX 450h F Sport 3 won't last long here) fairly quickly. The RX is supposed to be here before Xmas, so hopefully there will be a pic or 2.
Old 10-01-21 | 09:08 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Razor2022
Hi guys, new member here. I have a bit of a problem, I ordered a 2022 RX 450h but the 2023 refresh is coming next year. I'm torn now whether to wait or not. What would you guys do?
You are going to find an endless number of opinions and rationalizations for a question like this. We all have our opinions based on our own experiences and expectations. I would stick with the 2022. It is the last year of this generation so as a model it is as thoroughly debugged as possible. Having said that, I don't mean to suggest that the new model year will be full of bugs, but but lets be honest - it will be equipped with new technologies and drivetrains that may need some maturing. We own an ES that is the first year of a new gen and ours has been flawless, but there have been numerous design issues that many others have had issue with, such as the stereo system and wind noise. I love the new technology and was willing to accept the risk when we traded our 2015 and I would do it again if given the choice, but there is an argument for waiting and letting other consumers debug the vehicle a bit...
jollick (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21 | 03:07 PM
Razor2022
Rookie

Originally Posted by TechNut
You are going to find an endless number of opinions and rationalizations for a question like this. We all have our opinions based on our own experiences and expectations. I would stick with the 2022. It is the last year of this generation so as a model it is as thoroughly debugged as possible. Having said that, I don't mean to suggest that the new model year will be full of bugs, but but lets be honest - it will be equipped with new technologies and drivetrains that may need some maturing. We own an ES that is the first year of a new gen and ours has been flawless, but there have been numerous design issues that many others have had issue with, such as the stereo system and wind noise. I love the new technology and was willing to accept the risk when we traded our 2015 and I would do it again if given the choice, but there is an argument for waiting and letting other consumers debug the vehicle a bit...
I guess the biggest thing for me, if it's true, is the introduction of a 4 cyl turbo. I'm not a fan of any kind of 4 cyl engine. Right now I'm leaning towards the 2022 450h and if the refresh looks good I'll wait a few years then trade it in.
TechNut (10-02-21)
Old 10-01-21 | 05:58 PM
dibl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Razor2022
.... if it's true, is the introduction of a 4 cyl turbo. I'm not a fan of any kind of 4 cyl engine.
You know, 4 cyl. engines have their place -- my 1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 motorcycle had a screaming 4 cyl. transverse engine that was rock solid and way fast. It weighed 529 lbs.

But 5600 lb. cars don't call for a 4 cyl. engine, turbo or not. You need a V6 or a V8 to move that kind of weight down the road with acceleration and torque. IMHO.
BCBrent (08-13-22)

Quick Reply: 5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads