RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 04:50 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

I notice the Lux version has 4 way lumbar for both driver and passenger. Does anyone know if 2 way is standard on the lower versions? The brochure just states 8 way power seats. It would be a real drawback if one has to step all the way up to the Lux version to get lumbar support on the seats.
Old 11-06-22, 07:27 AM
annielexus
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW . . . from earlier this Summer, I had left my name with several local dealers about interest in the '23 350h, and was contacted by three different dealers within the past few days when their allocations came in. I've seen 4 different vehicle spec sheets (like the one displayed above) for different styled vehicles, and each listed "second-row captain's chairs". When I brought this up with the sales rep on the vehicle I was most interested in, he checked it out and told me it was just a 'mistake' and that the vehicle has the expected rear bench seat. I'm new with Lexus but this makes sense.
Old 11-06-22, 03:58 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I notice the Lux version has 4 way lumbar for both driver and passenger. Does anyone know if 2 way is standard on the lower versions? The brochure just states 8 way power seats. It would be a real drawback if one has to step all the way up to the Lux version to get lumbar support on the seats.
i have the same question about the 8 way. my wife and i need the lumbar support.
Old 11-06-22, 04:39 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by is350
i have the same question about the 8 way. my wife and i need the lumbar support.
Been doing some research on this. The Toyota info states that 8 way is for the seat bottom to move forward/backward/up/down- that's 4. The back is forward/backward, that's 6. Then it does show a 2 way lumbar which would make 8 way. Hopefully this means for the RX both front seats will have 2 way lumbar, which will work for us, as that is what I have now.
The following users liked this post:
is350 (11-06-22)
Old 11-06-22, 10:15 PM
is350
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
Been doing some research on this. The Toyota info states that 8 way is for the seat bottom to move forward/backward/up/down- that's 4. The back is forward/backward, that's 6. Then it does show a 2 way lumbar which would make 8 way. Hopefully this means for the RX both front seats will have 2 way lumbar, which will work for us, as that is what I have now.
great. I’m assuming 4 way lumber means it moves up and down, and inward and outward.
Old 11-07-22, 07:52 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am new to RX and not familiar with the space in the 2nd row. Unfortunately, I don't have a nearby dealer to even check the older model. I looked up the dimensions to compare to the SUVs I am familiar with and the RX seems smaller but I can't fully tell. Can the second row take 3 average size adults? How does it compare to the 2nd row of the QX60 or Pilot?

Last edited by CCTX; 11-08-22 at 04:45 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 09:50 PM
Drakedog
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
I suppose Lexus count the way is 8 way + 2 way lumbar. 8 way are seat knee side up/down, seat heap side up/down, seat forward/backward. seat back forward/backward.

The luxury 10 way + 4 way lumbar adding thigh support extension/retraction.
Old 11-08-22, 04:47 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 562 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
I am new to RX and not familiar with the space in the 2nd row. Unfortunately, I don't have a nearby dealer to even check the older model. I looked up the dimensions to compare to the SUVs I am familiar with and the RX seems smaller but I can't fully tell. Can the second row take 3 average size adults? How does it compare to the 2nd row of the QX60 or Pilot?

I am not familiar with Pilot or Infinitis back seat space, but I do know that we went on few road trips with 5 adults in the RX and the back seat passengers were not uncomfortable. Obviously the middle seat is harder, higher and smaller than the 2 sides, but still okay.
Old 11-08-22, 04:53 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I am not familiar with Pilot or Infinitis back seat space, but I do know that we went on few road trips with 5 adults in the RX and the back seat passengers were not uncomfortable. Obviously the middle seat is harder, higher and smaller than the 2 sides, but still okay.
Thank you!! This is very helpful. I know the 2023 lost a few inches here and there compared to the current generation but it seems it will be fine around the city and for 3-4 hr trips.
Old 11-08-22, 05:15 AM
richardyc
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

looks like my local dealer is having a 23 RX in transit status and should arrive soon. However, it's a front-wheel drive only and being in the northeast, awd is almost a must.
Old 11-08-22, 08:25 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 716 Likes on 524 Posts

I am not familiar with the models you mentioned so I cannot compare these models. I know another member commented about a road trip with 5 adults, but I cannot imagine such a journey. In full disclosure, I have not attempted such a trip beyond short cross-town travel and the seat was tight for today’s “average” size adults. The middle passenger is tight and it made it somewhat of a challenge to find the receiver for the belt buckle. Foot room was pretty tight sitting behind the front console, and of course the center seat is certainly higher and harder. I suspect it may be OK for a very slender adult or child but I wouldn’t wish it on any adult that I know for anything more than a short ride.

Edit: I need to qualify this reply. My experience/opinion is based on the 2021 RX.
Old 11-08-22, 01:59 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 390 Likes on 265 Posts

Thank you!! This is very helpful. I know the 2023 lost a few inches here and there compared to the current generation but it seems it will be fine around the city and for 3-4 hr trips.
The 2023 didn't lose any inches anywhere, in fact the wheelbase is longer.
BumbleD (11-09-22)
Old 11-08-22, 02:00 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Originally Posted by richardyc
looks like my local dealer is having a 23 RX in transit status and should arrive soon. However, it's a front-wheel drive only and being in the northeast, awd is almost a must.
Is that a customer car or a preview vehicle? I am amazed they would send a FWD to the northeast, rather than to California or a sunbelt state.
Old 11-08-22, 02:19 PM
FMY421
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Is that the hybrid battery at 2:20?
TaiTN (11-09-22)
Old 11-08-22, 03:21 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Not a bad looking factory, but can't compare to what you see from the Europeans. My guess is that the Japan factories are much more sophisticated and disciplined, but Toyota has to make these SUVs in North America to avoid the import tariffs.

Quick Reply: 5th gen RX merged rumor and launch threads