RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 5RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-23, 08:00 AM
JSAM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tedward155
Beautiful! How long does it take to charge it?
Think 10 to 12 hrs using a regular wall outlet
The following users liked this post:
WellsB (10-26-23)
Old 10-22-23, 08:35 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 139 Posts

Your new RX450h+ is identical to the one that I just purchased. I purchased it outright rather than leasing it but, I did pay a premium, as they are in short supply. I charged mine at home using the Lexus supplied charger and yep, it's about a 12 hour charge time at 120v, if the battery is fully depleted. After a bit of online research, I found that the charger supplied with the vehicle is rated for 240v. This is a worldwide charger and many areas of the world use 240v as standard. It is not just Toyota that does this, many other marques have chargers rated at 240v, as well. I have a gas dryer in my laundry room, which is off the garage, so the 240v outlet has been unused for many years. You can either remove the factory 120v plug from the cord and replace it with a 240v male plug that corresponds to your outlet or use an adapter. These are available online for about $70 or on Amazon for $90. I chose to make my own adapter. It cost less than $20 from parts that I ordered from Amazon. It works well and cuts the charging time in half, down to 6 hours. I can live with that time period. If I had a BEV vehicle, rather than a PHEV, I would opt for a Level 2 charger and run a new 50 Amp circuit from my panel. That would further cut the charging time down to 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or so. Before I did this, I had a friend, who is also my electrician, put his blessing on the adapter, which he did. Just to be cautious, I felt the adapter during the charging cycle to see if it felt warm and there were no issues. If any of you would like further information on this, please PM me for details.

Last edited by StefanoS; 10-22-23 at 08:47 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by StefanoS:
JSAM (10-22-23), Julius071 (10-22-23), WellsB (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 08:02 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
Your new RX450h+ is identical to the one that I just purchased. I purchased it outright rather than leasing it but, I did pay a premium, as they are in short supply. I charged mine at home using the Lexus supplied charger and yep, it's about a 12 hour charge time at 120v, if the battery is fully depleted. After a bit of online research, I found that the charger supplied with the vehicle is rated for 240v. <snip>.
Thank you for this. Just to be sure, is your charger part number G9060-47130?
Old 10-23-23, 08:47 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 476 Likes on 285 Posts

Hello all,

We purchased a Nori Green RX450h+ last week. This is, hands down, the most complex vehicle we have ever owned, so I joined this forum to help learn about it. This is my partner's 3rd Lexus and we traded a 2013 Lexus RX350 with 160k miles in on it. We've put a little over 300 miles on it, so far, but have a 2,000-mile road trip planned, starting Thursday. It is a major change from the 2013 RX, and I've been enjoying learning about it and driving it. So far, I've managed to eke out 49.6 miles out of a full charge in mixed city/rural driving. I've driven in almost every conceivable type of traffic and have used all of the driving aids while doing so, learning their strengths and weaknesses. It is truly an impressive automobile, with only a few issues, so far. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing more here.
JSAM (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 09:11 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WellsB
Thank you for this. Just to be sure, is your charger part number G9060-47130?
That is correct. The charger is rated for 240v and is fitted with a 120v plug for North America. You can make your own adapter for a NEMA 10-30R or NEMA 14-30R outlet, depending upon which type of outlet your house is equipped with. Older homes will have the NEMA 10-30R (3 pins) and newer homes will have a 14-30R (4 pins). Both of these outlets are for 30 Amp circuits. If you are going to purchase a Level 2 charger, a 50 Amp dedicated circuit is a better idea.
Here is a link to a ready made adapter for a NEMA 10-30R outlet. It is a good idea to wrap the joint between the adapter and the charger plug with electrical tape to prevent someone from inadvertently plugging a 120v appliance into the adapter. This adapter is heavy duty and is made with 10AWG cable, which is perfect for this application.

Amazon Amazon

WellsB (10-23-23)
Old 10-23-23, 10:30 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StefanoS
That is correct. The charger is rated for 240v and is fitted with a 120v plug for North America. You can make your own adapter for a NEMA 10-30R or NEMA 14-30R outlet, depending upon which type of outlet your house is equipped with. Older homes will have the NEMA 10-30R (3 pins) and newer homes will have a 14-30R (4 pins). Both of these outlets are for 30 Amp circuits. If you are going to purchase a Level 2 charger, a 50 Amp dedicated circuit is a better idea.
Here is a link to a ready made adapter for a NEMA 10-30R outlet. It is a good idea to wrap the joint between the adapter and the charger plug with electrical tape to prevent someone from inadvertently plugging a 120v appliance into the adapter. This adapter is heavy duty and is made with 10AWG cable, which is perfect for this application.

https://www.amazon.com/Parkworld-Hou...78PHY3ZJ&psc=1
Here is another link for a 240v electrical adapter for those of you who have the later NEMA 14-30R outlet. Both the above one and this one are made by the same manufacturer and are heavy duty 10AWG cable.
Amazon Amazon
WellsB (10-23-23)
Old 10-25-23, 07:14 PM
myshabako
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Perfection!

I have been lurking around here for a while, and read lots of valuable insights on the Rx, here and on the reddit forum. Thanks all for what you do on here 🙏🏽

I picked my RX350h/luxury last week.
Eminent white pearl + Peppercorn interior, and it's perfect!
I love everything about it, especially the ML system!
But I'm a little too worried to drive during the day - too many unscrupulous drivers on the road. I plan to pick up a used Mazda for a daily.
I will be getting a PPF (front fender + mirrors) and CC done later in the week.

Any recommendation on keeping it serene for as long as possible is welcome.

​​​​​

JSAM (10-26-23)
Old 10-25-23, 07:42 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

Nice car. My ceramic coating really helped. Your story makes me think of someone you stored their diamond ring in their safe deposit box because they didn't want to lose it or have it get stolen. You can't enjoy it in a lock box and you can't enjoy your car if its locked up in a garage and not driven. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new car.
Old 10-26-23, 03:19 AM
JSAM
10th Gear

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good looking car! Looks like images from the December to Remember campaigns. I've got peppercorn too and am starting to like it more.

Was going to say the same thing as @jahnjva and suggest you enjoy your vehicle as much as you can. I'm at the age/mindset of where I'm no longer "saving" the good stuff for later. I splurged on my RX so I can enjoy it (now) for longer 👍

My vehicle is abt a week old...It was raining the other day and I had to go somewhere. Was contemplating getting into the old Rav4 coz I didn't want to ruin the paint job (no covering yet, I should) but I said screw it and got into the RX. Got to test the rain sensing wipers which was fun!

Originally Posted by myshabako
I have been lurking around here for a while, and read lots of valuable insights on the Rx, here and on the reddit forum. Thanks all for what you do on here 🙏🏽

But I'm a little too worried to drive during the day - too many unscrupulous drivers on the road. I plan to pick up a used Mazda for a daily.

​​​​​

jahnjva (10-26-23)
Old 10-26-23, 07:44 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

The "newness" wears off in a bit and you start using it for everything. I have a spare old car also which I use only when traveling to higher crime rate urban locales.
Old 10-26-23, 09:57 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,175 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Picked up a 2023 RX500h F-Sport a week ago.

We were browsing the dealer lot, deciding whether to order an RX for future delivery, when they mentioned having a never-registered 'show car' with 3000 miles, driven by the nearby Lexus Zone Office. It was Copper Crest as in most of the brochures of course.

Bought it off the lot, at a bit of a discount amazingly, with a full factory warranty from our in-service date!

So far we drove it to-and-from a weekend trip, 275 miles each way, while getting used to all the 'nannies' the RX contains. Sheesh!

Only washed it once so far...a lot of nooks and crannies to clean. (I'm a bit OCD when it comes to clean cars)

i like this color. stands out! and i know what you mean about ocd cars. me too.
Old 10-26-23, 10:35 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

Same color as mine(I love it). I have gotten so many compliments on the color. My typical colors have been white or greys so this was a step in the other direction. There are some who are not fans but to each his own. Enjoy your car.
CCGS (10-26-23)
Old 10-26-23, 05:44 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by myshabako

​​​​​

Mine is my daily ride so the one rule that I follow is parking, I will go out of my way to park well away from the crowd and if possible I pick a corner spot so that I only have one car next to me. Cheers
chicagoron (10-30-23)
Old 11-03-23, 08:32 AM
PhilSwedesford
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello ... newbie with a 350h here, figure I should say hello since you have a nice roll call & member introduction thread here; and already I have received a helpful answer to my question on setting the trunk opening height here. So, happy to be here and thanks!
CCGS (11-03-23)
Old 11-03-23, 08:53 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Photos of your new RX? And welcome!
CCGS (11-03-23)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 5RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE