RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 5RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23, 04:27 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah I'm with you. I just don't like dark interiors.
The following users liked this post:
JohnPDX (03-12-23)
Old 02-17-23, 10:18 PM
misher
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine 2 days ago. So far so good, Canadian model yet all seams are good no signs that its a first year model. Back door is a tad hard to close and I asked the dealer but was told there's nothing they can do its just how power door locks work.
Wish the tan/brown was a tad darker.

Considering the pre-paid maintenance package.

Hate that I need my phone to set it up at the start also you need to pay for nav after 3 years.
Old 02-18-23, 08:40 AM
trfnj74
10th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

luxury Trim - Peppercorn Interior
- 120 AC inverter

- Cold weather package with de-icer
- Digital Key
- Power rear seats
- Heated and Ventilated rear seats
- Triple beam head lights
- Panorama roof with rails
- Mark Levison
- Power door rear kick
- Advanced Park - Dealer stated not working until updates come out.
- Panoramic view monitor
- Traffic jam assist
POI
- Door edge guards
- Rear bumper applique
- Cargo net
- Key Glove
- Mud guards
The following 6 users liked this post by trfnj74:
CCGS (09-09-23), dklanecky1 (02-19-23), krafty81 (02-18-23), mike995134 (03-13-23), RDLGX (02-24-23), tedward155 (02-18-23) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-18-23, 08:41 AM
Ryebrid
Driver

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

First impressions on the 500H.
The triple beam headlights hi beams illuminate the entire roadway and turn off quickly as soon as another car approaches. Great safety feature and works better than my Honda automatic headlights did.
Sport seat comfort: Firmer than the luxury seats, as they are designed to be. The side bolsters hold me in place nicely, but may be less comfortable for "wider" drivers.
Levinson audio is excellent with talk or music. I wouldn't have specced this, but am now glad to have it.
Power: Oh, this is fun. Quick punch when you need it.
Turning circle, low speed handling: I can feel the 4 wheel steering here. I had to U turn for a parking space on the other side of the street and it was no problem. Much tighter than I expected.
Fuel economy: Too soon to comment, but looks good considering vehicle weight and power.
Included options that I don't know why I need: 110V power inverter, power rear seats.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ryebrid:
Julius071 (02-18-23), krafty81 (02-18-23)
Old 02-18-23, 09:01 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Beautiful! That's the clearest look at Peppercorn interior I've seen. It's really nice. Enjoy your new RX
trfnj74 (02-18-23)
Old 02-21-23, 05:51 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 265 Likes on 172 Posts

at 4:03 in this video Automotive Engineer David Chao compares the newest Lexus RX built in Japan (in Kyushu, Japan) to the Lexus RX built in North America (in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada) and said that the rear door of Canadian produced car requires more effort than Japan sourced vehicle.

also:
Kirk Kreifels

I've noticed too the difficult to close rear doors in the Rx and NX. I wonder if they will improve it over time? Or could it be due to different suppliers not making identical pieces? Thanks David giving all these impressions from Japan!
Old 02-21-23, 08:08 AM
Thanos
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

RX500h
Navigation
Nebula gray
black/red interiorINSTALLED OPTIONS

BASE MANUFACTURER'S SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICE

" TOV AC Inverter

Cold Area Package

Digital Key Requires Remote Connect

Subscription; 3YR Trial Incld) 4G Network Dependent Digital Rearview Mirror

rower kear seats

Heated and Ventilated Rear Seats

Premium Triple-Beam LED Headlamps

Panorama Glass Mosaroo

Mark Levinson Surround Sound Audio System with exus intertace with asin ouchscreen Disolay.

Drive Connect with Cloud Navaation Intelligent

Assistant, and Destination Assist - 3 year Trial

49 Network Dependent

Power Kear Door with Kick Sensor

Advances Park

Panoramic View Monitor

Traffic Jam Assist (Requires Drive Connect

Subscription) 4G Network Dependent

All Weather Floor Liners

Cargo Mat/Cargo Net/Key Glove

Side Puddle Lamps

Mudguards

The following 2 users liked this post by Thanos:
Julius071 (02-21-23), RDLGX (03-11-23)
Old 03-05-23, 07:49 PM
Beetleguce
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Picked up a RX500H F-sport performance (Canada build). Every option but the ML sound system. Copper Crest with black interior. Live in NJ and didn't pay over MSRP and Purchased the extended service plan. Have had the same issue with closing the rear doors and nothing else for a complete redesign. It's also my 1st Lexus and not disappointed so far and my intention was to purchase a GX460 luxury.
The following 2 users liked this post by Beetleguce:
FMY421 (03-06-23), RDLGX (03-11-23)
Old 03-11-23, 12:15 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 383 Posts
Smile Past member returning to Club Lexus

My local dealer just called and said that they had an iridium 2023 350h available due to the original purchaser not being approved for credit. I told him that I wanted it and would be there Monday to pick it up. I have owned many new Lexus and am looking forward to the technology in the Luxury model.

Anyway, if welcome here, I would like to make this home while learning about my new vehicle. I have found these forums very valuable and look forward to being here! Will be posting images next week.

‘’Thanks everyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggebhardt:
RDLGX (03-11-23), tedward155 (03-12-23)
Old 03-12-23, 09:26 AM
ioneldinu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RS91
Hi Folks,

Two weeks back I got a 2023 RX 350h Luxury trim fully loaded (inclusive all packages). It is a pearl white exterior with peppercorn/open wood pore interior.

I was driving a 2015 Toyota Camry SE which sadly got totaled in a deer accident. Luckily no injuries to us and probably deer survived too. Cheers to the safe design of Toyota family!

For the RX 350h, I will share my thoughts, comments and few questions along with overall purchase/drive experience after a month of ownership. For now, I am really enjoying the car and finding new features everyday. Stay tuned for more!

Thank you.

RS

The shade looks brighter in this picture than irl.

Congratulations! Enjoy your new RX 350.
RDLGX (03-12-23)
Old 03-12-23, 11:17 AM
NerdLaw
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Finally arrived! New 2023 RX500H

We finally received our new RX 500h last night. It's been at the port for weeks, less than 20 miles away, but it never made it to the dealership due to delays. First due to some repair that had to be done (according to the dealer, not a recall since its done before delivery) and then due to a snowstorm we had in Portland.

But we got it last night and so far we love it. The only thing we don't like is the very annoying grumbling sound that is apparently fake engine noise from the speakers.

1. RX model - 500h, F sport
2. Navigation or no navigation - no navigation I believe. 3. Color or the exterior and interior - black exterior with dark red interior. ​​​​4. Option Packages - we just wanted the panoramic moon roof and the heated and cooled front/rear seats. It has other stuff too. 5. Sport model? - yes, F sport etc
Originally Posted by Welcome to CL
Members, When you get your RX, please introduce yourself and your vehicle here! Tell us some details about your new Lexus including; 1. RX model2. Navigation or no navigation3. Color or the exterior and interior4. Option Packages5. Sport model?etc Other details such as pictures you might have of your RX or tell us what you drove previously and congratulations from Club Lexus!

New RX 500h!
The following 3 users liked this post by NerdLaw:
CCGS (09-09-23), Julius071 (03-12-23), tedward155 (03-12-23)
Old 03-13-23, 11:29 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by NerdLaw
We finally received our new RX 500h last night. It's been at the port for weeks, less than 20 miles away, but it never made it to the dealership due to delays. First due to some repair that had to be done (according to the dealer, not a recall since its done before delivery) and then due to a snowstorm we had in Portland.

But we got it last night and so far we love it. The only thing we don't like is the very annoying grumbling sound that is apparently fake engine noise from the speakers.

1. RX model - 500h, F sport
2. Navigation or no navigation - no navigation I believe. 3. Color or the exterior and interior - black exterior with dark red interior. ​​​​4. Option Packages - we just wanted the panoramic moon roof and the heated and cooled front/rear seats. It has other stuff too. 5. Sport model? - yes, F sport etc

New RX 500h!
Be careful backing up!
Old 03-13-23, 12:37 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

I have a hard time believing there is no navigation in a 500H. I assume you know this by now.
Old 03-13-23, 12:41 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Welcome back. Let us see some pics when you pick up your new RX! I got one in caviar and macadamia/bamboo in January.
Old 03-13-23, 03:26 PM
NerdLaw
10th Gear

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tedward155
I have a hard time believing there is no navigation in a 500H. I assume you know this by now.
Ha! To be completely honest, I'm still not sure. Wasn't particularly concerned about it. We had Navigation on our 2018 RX 350, and I will say, it was an unmitigated nightmare and we completely stopped using it in favor of google maps on my phone.

Thankfully the new RX has android auto and apple car play built in, so my wife and I were able to connect using that, and then the navigation just comes from the phone and onto the car's console. There is also a navigation icon on the main RX screen, but when you click that, it just says we need to update our subscription, and despite messing with that for quite a while, we couldn't get it to work at all.

Gonna chat with the lexus tech guy sometime this week and see if he can help us.

But overall impressions 3-days in, I would say are as follows (compared with our 2018 RX):
PROS:
-Smoother, quieter, and equally comfortable.
-Rear seats are improved with power adjustments and power fold/unfold, as well as heated/cooled rear, and rear climate control, so this is nice for our elderly parents.
-Turning radius is definitely tighter than the 4th gen RX.
-Adaptive cruise control was great before and its even better now.
-The pano moon roof is just epic when sitting in the rear and still nice from the front.
-Suede accents on the seats made me a bit uncertain, but I really like them now.
-Acceleration from a stop is very good and with AWD it grips like a monster.
-Interior is absolutely beautiful. It's pleasant and calming, even with the deep red seats. My brother just got a brand new BMW x5 and the thing looks like a disco inside with weird LED light strips and random shiny bits in strange places, so lexus continues to nail the aesthetics.

NEUTRAL OBSERVATIONS:
-Acceleration at freeway speeds is good, but nothing to write home about. Maybe this isn't a CON. There's ample power. It's just not the slam you into your seat power that I was hoping for (but from a stop its very much a kick in the pants if you floor it).
-Can definitely tell you are driving a turbo 4 rather than the NA v6 of the prior RX. The power is there but it feels different. Its more like the power of the NX. As in, it feels a bit sleepy compared to the v6, despite the speedo saying otherwise.
-Gas mileage sucks so far, but that's almost certainly because I was driving around town and hot-rodding it a few times. So we'll see.

CONS:
-Speedo/Dash is slightly wonky with a ton of damned icons lit up on the main dash (I think at least 6 or 7 icons constantly lit). I think I'll get used to it quickly, but they were not thinking minimalism with the Christmas tree effect on the dash.
-The car keeps presenting weird messages to you on the dash which is very distracting. Stuff like "configure your auto lock preferences in the xyz menu." And "proactive xyz avoidance system can be configured in the xyz menu." And these are not on the infotainment console. This is literally on the dash under your speedometer, so very distracting and annoying.
-There is a weird sound on very soft acceleration that sounds like synthetic/fake engine sounds. It might be the turbo. It might be the engine. But with the radio off and the car quiet and adults talking, the noise is quite intrusive and annoying.
-And my number 1 disappointment ... the infotainment system is a complete suck-fest. Significantly worse than the prior gen. I don't know who signed off on this thing. The radio control buttons are gone (other than power/volume ****) so now its very difficult to work the radio or change stations or select a pre-set. It seriously takes about five press menu icons buried deep in the system to change stations, which is dangerous and not intuitive. Want to play an FM station? Well then, you need to go through a dozen reminders that Amazon music and Sirius radio are better options and assess your life choices as to why you would elect for an FM station when you can benefit from the glory of new internet media. It get's worse from there. Want to know how many miles left on maintenance items such as brakes, oil, tire rotation? So do I. It seems this is either buried so deep I cannot find it, or it simply doesn't exist anymore. Even my 2009 GS450H has a maintenance menu for tracking this stuff and my 2018 RX definitely had this. My fear is that its been removed. The climate control buttons have also been removed except for the front/rear defrost, so if you want to do anything beyond changing the temperature on auto (such as warm your feet, etc.), then you'll be navigating a pretty awful point and press menu interface.

Okay, rant over. I absolutely love the car, but will just need to grit my teeth and get used to the infotainment downgrade.

-NL
ioneldinu (05-08-23)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 5RX owner roll call & member introduction thread, POST HERE