RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Why can’t the dealer track the shipment?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24 | 04:57 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EagleMan1954
Does anyone have any idea why an RX350h that was made at the first of May would still be sitting on a rail car somewhere between Ontario and the United States and not showing any signs of moving?
Doesn't sound like standard procedure. Ours was at the dealer within two weeks of production completed.
Old 06-18-24 | 05:15 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Ours was running three weeks late but then the dealer put us in a different almost identical vehicles on a sale that fell through. I think our original one finally hit the dealer lot 2 weeks later. Stuff can get stuck in transit. The funny thing was that our original one was stuck at the railhead 12 miles from the dealership and just kept not getting delivered to the dealer.
Old 06-18-24 | 09:43 PM
chuckNX
Advanced

Does anyone have any idea why an RX350h that was made at the first of May would still be sitting on a rail car somewhere between Ontario and the United States and not showing any signs of moving?
Maybe waiting on it first key fob?

j/k
The following 2 users liked this post by chuckNX:
autotech13 (06-19-24), Markfm (06-19-24)
Old 07-25-24 | 05:27 PM
asnyos
Driver School Candidate

My RX350h Luxury was built on 7/15, finished building on the 22nd, then left on the train on the 23rd. I was told "2-ish" weeks until it got to Dallas. Hopefully it comes sooner!
Old 07-25-24 | 05:32 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Our original unit took 8 weeks. They had a deal on an almost identical model that fell through and we got it a different car a few weeks early. To be fair, at the time LOTS of cars were getting stuck in the Ft Worth railroad yard due to insufficient drivers in the spring of ‘23.
Old 07-26-24 | 03:50 AM
EagleMan1954
10th Gear

Default Finally Tracked Down My Vehicle

Originally Posted by Urlik
Our original unit took 8 weeks. They had a deal on an almost identical model that fell through and we got it a different car a few weeks early. To be fair, at the time LOTS of cars were getting stuck in the Ft Worth railroad yard due to insufficient drivers in the spring of ‘23.
Finally called the dealership and said I needed an answer on where the vehicle was after being made 11 weeks ago. I could see that the vehicle was made and put on the train, but it never showed it had arrived to the port where it would be put on a truck. I shared my concern that it was made but my greater concern now was that something happened to it and it no longer existed. Well, the dealership called and said they were having a new car made for me and it would be here in six weeks. That’s when I asked where my car was and the reply was it was damaged on the rail and no one wanted to pass along that information. Sometimes you have to keep digging for the answer. For now I’m just counting the days. 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
Old 07-26-24 | 08:21 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Finally called the dealership and said I needed an answer on where the vehicle was after being made 11 weeks ago. I could see that the vehicle was made and put on the train, but it never showed it had arrived to the port where it would be put on a truck. I shared my concern that it was made but my greater concern now was that something happened to it and it no longer existed. Well, the dealership called and said they were having a new car made for me and it would be here in six weeks. That’s when I asked where my car was and the reply was it was damaged on the rail and no one wanted to pass along that information. Sometimes you have to keep digging for the answer. For now I’m just counting the days. 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
Its interesting that you were able to track - good luck with the new car! How exactly were you able to track where the car was being made, and transported - was it at a website ? If so, what is the link to it ?
Old 07-28-24 | 09:09 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

The dealer has full visibility to it where it is in the supply chain in dealer daily, the only time it goes dark is when there QC (quality check) hold as Toyota will not disclose why or when it be released from QC. They are usually when there may have been issue when they were building it or they hold production due to issue that was discovered from particular parts etc. Or sometimes if pending recall will be occurring.

Below is how it would look, this example shows it on hold.

Old 07-28-24 | 09:57 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lexus1998
The dealer has full visibility to it where it is in the supply chain in dealer daily, the only time it goes dark is when there QC (quality check) hold as Toyota will not disclose why or when it be released from QC. They are usually when there may have been issue when they were building it or they hold production due to issue that was discovered from particular parts etc. Or sometimes if pending recall will be occurring.

Below is how it would look, this example shows it on hold.
Good to know, I had this same visibility for my custom-order of my now-sold Audi that I had purchased in 2014. As far as I knew, Lexus didn't allow custom-orders and didn't disclose your noted visibility to the purchaser, which is why I asked the question. Its possible though it can get relayed to the purchaser by the Sales Agent, based on the dealer's visibility.
Old 07-29-24 | 07:33 AM
Lexus1998
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by wrinkle
Good to know, I had this same visibility for my custom-order of my now-sold Audi that I had purchased in 2014. As far as I knew, Lexus didn't allow custom-orders and didn't disclose your noted visibility to the purchaser, which is why I asked the question. Its possible though it can get relayed to the purchaser by the Sales Agent, based on the dealer's visibility.
Every Lexus/Toyota dealer in US has access to this regardless if it special order or an allocated car to dealer, they will be able to see where it is in the supply chain. The biggest issue is when a car gets put on QC because that min of 30 day hold. Again the dealer would see that.
The key milestone is past processing as that when it is released basically for IN transit to dealer.