RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Why can’t the dealer track the shipment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-22, 09:20 PM
skgerber
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Why can’t the dealer track the shipment?

My 2023 Rx350 Luxury was shipped from the Canadian Plant on November 14th. I’ve received 3 different ETA’s from the Houston dealership of November 23rd, November 29th, and December 5th and still no vehicle. All the dealership knows is that it was loaded on a Canadian Pacific rail car and later transferred to an auto trailer. Isn’t there a GPS Tracker on either the rail car or the trailer and wouldn’t the dealership be better able to accurately trace the transit?

Last edited by skgerber; 12-05-22 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Cleaned up verbage
Old 12-06-22, 06:07 AM
TipsyTonio
Racer

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by skgerber
My 2023 Rx350 Luxury was shipped from the Canadian Plant on November 14th. I’ve received 3 different ETA’s from the Houston dealership of November 23rd, November 29th, and December 5th and still no vehicle. All the dealership knows is that it was loaded on a Canadian Pacific rail car and later transferred to an auto trailer. Isn’t there a GPS Tracker on either the rail car or the trailer and wouldn’t the dealership be better able to accurately trace the transit?
Dealer Daily is the internal tool that Toyota uses to give dealers information on a vehicle allocation and it gives dates such as Production, Railcar Departure, Arrival, Processing, Arrival at Dealer. Typically when there is a railcar departure the system will show a Railcar number which the dealer can give you and then you can use other tools to track said railcar. However it seems the car is past that stage meaning nothing can really be tracked. There really only is the information that is shown in the computer. In the event that the car were stolen I'm sure Lexus could actually track it, but since that isn't the case here I'm afraid thats all the info you have to go off of. You can try asking your sales person to reach out to the regional office for more info but that might be a bust.
Old 12-06-22, 02:22 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

Is the Houston dealer (which one of the two?) marking it up over MSRP? I looked at one Houston dealer website, their inventory of them is already building up. There is no long waiting list for this car at dealers, that's clear now, there are plenty of cars available even amongst the initial deliveries.
Old 12-06-22, 02:24 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Current events have the pipeline FUBAR. Seems that parts for the key fobs, Navigation systems
and even heated seats are in short supply. Cars are getting built and then sidetracked while they
scramble for pieces. Some are getting released with a Promissory Note for the 2nd key. Others are
held longer for the Nav parts. Some are getting shipped with revised Moroney Stickers deleting the
heated seats from the package. The old normal pipeline tracking date ranges are unpredictable.
Old 12-06-22, 03:17 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

These shortages are happening for this car? Its the same info system as the NX, probably the same heated seat elements also, they are cranking those out - my local dealer has 48 unsold. RX cars are arriving at dealers all over the country. No one in the colder parts of the country are going to accept a car at this price point without heated seats, so they might as well send those cars to the sunbelt and Florida.
Old 12-06-22, 08:45 PM
skgerber
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Is the Houston dealer (which one of the two?) marking it up over MSRP? I looked at one Houston dealer website, their inventory of them is already building up. There is no long waiting list for this car at dealers, that's clear now, there are plenty of cars available even amongst the initial deliveries.
I don’t know of any of the four Houston Lexus dealerships that has 2023 RX350 physically in their lots. All of their “inventory” is in transit and reserved for customers who have put down a deposit. Also all 4 of the dealerships are selling at MSRP unless there are add ons that are installed or purchased at the dealership i.e. tinting.
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (12-07-22)
Old 12-07-22, 07:35 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

True. Westside Lexus in Houston shows 46 of them inbound - that's a big number this early in the game.
Old 12-09-22, 06:58 AM
skgerber
4th Gear

Originally Posted by mcomer
Current events have the pipeline FUBAR. Seems that parts for the key fobs, Navigation systems
and even heated seats are in short supply. Cars are getting built and then sidetracked while they
scramble for pieces. Some are getting released with a Promissory Note for the 2nd key. Others are
held longer for the Nav parts. Some are getting shipped with revised Moroney Stickers deleting the
heated seats from the package. The old normal pipeline tracking date ranges are unpredictable.
My salesman now has contacted the regional office in Dallas and has been told that my RX amongst others have been in Dallas since December 1st and are being “inspected”. He didn’t know why other than to confirm there haven’t been any recalls or the vehicles are in working order. I believe that the vehicles are missing parts that weren’t available during production and are still waiting for parts.
Old 12-09-22, 07:23 AM
SWLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by skgerber
My salesman now has contacted the regional office in Dallas and has been told that my RX amongst others have been in Dallas since December 1st and are being “inspected”. He didn’t know why other than to confirm there haven’t been any recalls or the vehicles are in working order. I believe that the vehicles are missing parts that weren’t available during production and are still waiting for parts.
Here's what my salesman at Park Place Grapevine Texas told me:
Cars arrive by rail. Allocation sent to dealer. Salesman calls customer for deposit if a car matches color and interior desired.
Limited selection of options(Lexus installs what they want). Take or leave it.
Since the car is a new model,Lexus sends a team to inspect cars completely before they ship to dealer.
Old 12-09-22, 08:10 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Yes, pretty much what we have discussed here - if you want a lot of the higher tech options, you pretty much have to get the Luxury trim.

But there are cars on many dealer lots, just go onto youtube and search for "2023 Lexus RX", and you will see dealer video of their RXes on the ground. Here is a new one today, that birch colored interior is very light, looks like a dirt magnet for sure:

Old 12-09-22, 08:21 AM
skgerber
4th Gear

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Yes, pretty much what we have discussed here - if you want a lot of the higher tech options, you pretty much have to get the Luxury trim.

But there are cars on many dealer lots, just go onto youtube and search for "2023 Lexus RX", and you will see dealer video of their RXes on the ground. Here is a new one today, that birch colored interior is very light, looks like a dirt magnet for sure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhhsUeQNfmI
That's not what's happening in Texas. I've ordered the RX Luxury package, the production documents indicate that all the options were produced and shipped. None of the 4 Houston dealerships have inventory of 2023 RX's and all are waiting regardless of their allocations.
Old 12-09-22, 03:20 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Just today on youtube - RXes in Nevada, Brooklyn NY, Illinois, Kentucky, Alabama. So some of them are getting there.
Old 12-11-22, 07:07 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2023 RX 350 Delivery Issues

Hello Everyone,

I am a new member and a first time Lexus owner. I recently purchased and took possession of a 2023 RX 350 Premium Plus FWD. Apparently, Lexus is experiencing some software issues regarding the digital key, SOS buttons, remote start, etc. My dealership said it has been reported around the country and that Lexus will be sending a replacement chip to the dealership to resolve this issue. Not sure when that will happen and was told it could be any day. Also, to our surprise, on the day we took possession of the vehicle, we received only one key. It is our understanding that because of the chip shortage, Lexus is delivering all new vehicles with one key and the second will be issued in the future but we do not know when. We were told that Lexus made the decision to issue only one key to each new vehicle and issue more vehicles. The only problem we have is that because of the digital key/ chip problem, we cannot use the digital key as a second key, consequently, my wife and I have to share a key. Are there any other club members dealing with this same issue? If so, I would like to know what your experience has been like.

Thank you,
FMY421 (12-11-22)
Old 12-11-22, 07:27 AM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Ask the dealer if they can program and give you the "Card key". Its about the size of a credit card, or a supposed to be lol. Anyway it goes in your wallet or whatever and it allows you to drive the car without the key fob. It essentially is a Key fob, without the buttons and options to open or lock etc. You will simply walk up to the locked car, and pull the door handle and as long as the key card is on your person, it'll open the door and you can use and drive the car just like normal. When you want to lock the doors, just push the little indentation button on your door handle on the outside of the door. Your wife can use the actual key fob. And you can use the key card.
The following 2 users liked this post by PrimeDave:
ioneldinu (12-14-22), midibear (12-20-22)
Old 12-11-22, 07:50 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good Morning PrimeDave,

So, it is my understanding that the wallet key thing is tied to the digital key/software issue. The dealership did not want us to download the Lexus app to our iPhone at this time because the chip in the car needs to be changed first. How the dealership explained it to us is that the vehicle was stuck in the transport mode electronically. Lexus tried to communicate with the vehicle remotely from Plano, TX but it would not respond. Lexus is supposedly sending a new chip to be installed in the vehicle. The dealership said the vehicle could be operated perfectly with only one key. For all intents and purposes, the vehicle operates just fine. They told us we could pass on taking delivery if we wanted to but the next one comparably equipped would come in some time in February. Was not sure how passing on this particular vehicle would impact my standing on the waiting list as well. That said, we decided to take possession of the vehicle now and trust Lexus will resolve the issue down the road, just not sure when that will be. Another thing I was considering was that every month I hold on to my trade in the value is going down. So from a financial standpoint, we decided to take possession. Thanks for the follow up.
ioneldinu (12-14-22)

Quick Reply: Why can’t the dealer track the shipment?