RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Lease/Purchase Price of 2023 RX

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 03:17 PM
rx500hIL
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might as well wait for the 2024 and hope custom orders become available and maybe Lexus will throw in a fully digital gauge cluster for the '24 model year as well : ). I'm a first time Lexus buyer and not used to not being able to place a custom order. I wonder if it was always this way with Lexus? It makes no sense, why even have the custom configurator tool up on the website if customers can't place custom orders..hmm.
Old 01-16-23, 03:24 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rx500hIL
I'm in the process of trying to buy an RX 500h. I contacted a local dealer and was told that they are not taking custom orders and that they will try to get an allocation close to what I'm looking for but it likely won't have the exact options that I want. I'm surprised by this, anyone know why this is?

Who puts together the options for the cars that end up at the dealer lots? Wouldn't that be the dealership? If so, why can't I order the car with the options I want?
Lexus sells a lot of cars. Obviously it works for them. I have a few must haves. It means it will probably have more than I want.
Or I may order a Lincoln Corsair. I can get exactly what I want.
Old 01-16-23, 03:44 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Lexus sells a lot of cars. Obviously it works for them. I have a few must haves. It means it will probably have more than I want.
Or I may order a Lincoln Corsair. I can get exactly what I want.
But then you have to drive a Lincoln Corsair
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
PearlRX350 (01-24-23), RolfK (01-21-23)
Old 01-16-23, 07:01 PM
FMY421
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
The only thing I’m not certain about is whether there are two Mark Levinson versions (11 speaker vs 21 speaker). I did compare two different build sheets and I believe the higher options on the list are the Navi, digital key (meaning I think you can use your phone for keyless entry) and also that panaromic camera view.
There are two sound systems for all 2023 RX models: a 12 speaker system, and an optional 21 speaker Mark Levinson system. The 2022 RX has three available systems: a base 9 speaker system, an upgraded premium 12 speaker system, and an upgraded Mark Levinson 15 speaker system.
The following users liked this post:
MrTuckers (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 07:06 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FMY421
There are two sound systems for all 2023 RX models: a 12 speaker system, and an optional 21 speaker Mark Levinson system. The 2022 RX has three available systems: a base 9 speaker system, an upgraded premium 12 speaker system, and an upgraded Mark Levinson 15 speaker system.
Which one of these systems require you to buy the Navi system? I would like to have the nice sound system but it looks like we’re forced to buy the Navi system as well. I use Apple/Google Maps so having this additional option would probably be overkill.
Old 01-16-23, 07:39 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MrTuckers
Which one of these systems require you to buy the Navi system? I would like to have the nice sound system but it looks like we’re forced to buy the Navi system as well. I use Apple/Google Maps so having this additional option would probably be overkill.
Factory Nav has become like mammary glands on a bull. You can’t really get one without it, but it’s totally obsolete and worthless. Since Google Maps on the smart phone became a thing, maybe 4 or 5 cars ago for me, I never use the car nav. But always get it because it’s part of the package. Apple CarPlsy (with the cord) on my 2020RX was a further game changer, and this latest cordless and seedless version further changes the game and makes factory nav worthless.
NugiRX (12-11-23)
Old 01-16-23, 08:46 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daryll40
But then you have to drive a Lincoln Corsair
PHEV with a tax credit. Reliability is getting better. 4 cylinder with a CVT.
Old 01-17-23, 06:06 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Depends on a few things. First of all, does "order" mean some large deposit that's not refundable? Most are $1000 deposits that ARE refundable. Second, are you a "Lexus guy"? If so, you can be pretty much assured you're gonna like this vehicle. And if there are 49 on the way, you probably can find one that's what you want. Unless it's a big non-refundable deposit, why not "order it" (meaning reserve one from this incoming inventory)?
Yes, good points, here's the deal. We are Lexus people, very much expect to like this car but given the new platform, my wife and I feel compelled to simply sit in one before we spend $55k+...I agree, we fully expect to like it. Once we clear that hurdle, we can get the details on ordering, deposits, etc....one non trivial factor is that this dealer is 1200 miles from our home (but very close to where we spend some time in Winter). The dealers up here in the far North continue to play games about discussing premiums over MSRP (which we will not pay, period).
So, we're giving the Florida dealer a shot. Assuming we like the car, we will strongly consider ordering since I can fly down and pick it up and visit friends on the return
I agree, the price for ordering should be modest and refundable...
(we have a 2013 RX which has been the most dependable car I've ever owned, ten years and not one single unscheduled repair (except for brakes, obviously). This will become my rarely used second car...
I'm willing to keep waiting until I can find a dealer that either has what we want, or can order it, for not more than MSRP...seems reasonable to me, but the guys up North are still insisting on a price above MSRP...Eventually I expect that to go away, I'll wait til the summer if I have to..
Old 01-17-23, 06:33 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by budwom
Yes, good points, here's the deal. We are Lexus people, very much expect to like this car but given the new platform, my wife and I feel compelled to simply sit in one before we spend $55k+...I agree, we fully expect to like it. Once we clear that hurdle, we can get the details on ordering, deposits, etc....one non trivial factor is that this dealer is 1200 miles from our home (but very close to where we spend some time in Winter). The dealers up here in the far North continue to play games about discussing premiums over MSRP (which we will not pay, period).
So, we're giving the Florida dealer a shot. Assuming we like the car, we will strongly consider ordering since I can fly down and pick it up and visit friends on the return
(we have a 2013 RX which has been the most dependable car I've ever owned, ten years and not one single unscheduled repair (except for brakes, obviously). This will become my rarely used second car...
I'm willing to keep waiting until I can find a dealer that either has what we want, or can order it, for not more than MSRP...seems reasonable to me, but the guys up North are still insisting on a price above MSRP...Eventually I expect that to go away, I'll wait til the summer if I have to..
Ah. That makes sense. Dealing out of town does require more certainty before investing too much time, money and energy.
Old 01-17-23, 09:40 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Ah. That makes sense. Dealing out of town does require more certainty before investing too much time, money and energy.
Ten years ago we dealt with the dealer closest to us (which is not close at all) and for the first time in my car buying history, they blatantly tried to cheat us....really an unpleasant experience all around...so while I would buy from those guys again if I had to, I'm open to going to another dealer.
Here's a good one for you (in terms of slimy salesmanship): I contact the local guys via their web site, and I get an immediate call from a guy who says he's the sales manager. I tell him what I'm looking for, and ask the very basic question "are you charging more than the MSRP." HIs reply: "not that I'm aware of." So I admit, I start laughing, asking "if you're the sales manager, wouldn't you be in a position to know if you're charging more than MSRP?" Lots of hemming and hawing, yes, we charged $2500 premium this past month, "not sure" about next month.
Almost makes me want to look at alternatives, except I don't, I know what I want and someone will eventually sell me one (I think).
By the way, my wife is short (and I like keeping her happy) so I want to make sure the 2023 seat is comfy for her...99% certain it will be, but she has looked at cars that don't fit her...
Old 01-17-23, 10:13 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Ten years ago we dealt with the dealer closest to us (which is not close at all) and for the first time in my car buying history, they blatantly tried to cheat us....really an unpleasant experience all around...so while I would buy from those guys again if I had to, I'm open to going to another dealer.
Here's a good one for you (in terms of slimy salesmanship): I contact the local guys via their web site, and I get an immediate call from a guy who says he's the sales manager. I tell him what I'm looking for, and ask the very basic question "are you charging more than the MSRP." HIs reply: "not that I'm aware of." So I admit, I start laughing, asking "if you're the sales manager, wouldn't you be in a position to know if you're charging more than MSRP?" Lots of hemming and hawing, yes, we charged $2500 premium this past month, "not sure" about next month.
Almost makes me want to look at alternatives, except I don't, I know what I want and someone will eventually sell me one (I think).
By the way, my wife is short (and I like keeping her happy) so I want to make sure the 2023 seat is comfy for her...99% certain it will be, but she has looked at cars that don't fit her...
It’s a new world. My dad bought 10 Lincolns from the
same salesman, starting in 1972. They had a “relationship”, although it was somewhat fake, based on salesmanship. Now it’s all “transactional”. The people come and go and it’s easier to shop via internet. Even the fake relationship of yesteryear no longer exists.

My local dealer, Rohrich Lexus, went to LexusPlus from about 2017 until about Covid. I bought 1 car that way and soon after realized that I paid $3000ish too much. From a dealer that I well patronized since 1989. I went back a few years later and they were still doing that, pissing off the longtime customers like me. So I bought my 2020RX at Classic Lexus in Cleveland for a lot less.

This time I went back to Rohrich and it’s all new people. There’s no institutional memory other than the computer shows all the cars I bought there. The current sales manager gave me a fair deal and fair trade in, so I bought there again. Mainly for my own convenience. But I’m still annoyed at what happened before. Yet, as I said, I’m not really “punishing” the same people who “dissed” me before. So for this transaction, the local dealer worked for me. But I’m under no illusion that there’s any sort of “relationship” for easy, fair future car deals. I could end up out of town again.
Old 01-17-23, 01:29 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

if you are buying a car in Florida, watch out for the extra fees they charge. They have to disclose it and even say it’s profit. Go to any dealers web site and check the small print. It could be over a $1,000. And. They won’t negotiate on extended warranties.
Old 01-17-23, 01:42 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Yeah, thanks you guys. It's just a jungle out there now...very unfortunate we have to be as careful as we must. Good thing is I'm fully prepared to walk away...I used to buy our Volvos from the same guy, five or six times...easy, relaxed, no games. Those days are gone.
Old 01-17-23, 02:40 PM
MrTuckers
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus of Bellevue imposes aftermarket parts that the buyer MUST purchase in addition to the “MSRP” price of the vehicle. No different than paying markup but in this case instead of getting nothing, you get $3600 worth of “Marked-up” garbage in return

Updated photo of marked up aftermarket unnecessaries.

Last edited by MrTuckers; 01-17-23 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 02:51 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

US retail car sales are declining rapidly - perhaps not for this particular model (and not for the hybrid), but everywhere else they are in decline. You can get a new MDX for $2500 off sticker. This nonsense won't last much longer.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 01-17-23 at 03:05 PM.
jamesss711 (03-03-23)

Quick Reply: Lease/Purchase Price of 2023 RX