RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

An interesting thing about the new infotainment system

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-22, 07:36 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by foxwiz
I've been checking out all of the RX350h listed on the dealer's websites and none of the vehicles have the 360 camera which would be great for parking. That is a feature that I really like but so far nothing.
Per the 2023 RX 350 brochure Panoramic View Monitor is an option only on all models except the basic model. From what I have read this the same as 360. I am hoping that the cameras already exist and they will offer it as a paid software upgrade like Tesla. None of the models in my area have it installed, so no idea what the price is. It is a shame that most of the review test drives had this included as if it was a standard option.

Edit: found an added option for a 2022 Rx 450h F sport. $1,365.

Last edited by Dhill; 12-16-22 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-16-22, 09:21 AM
ishh
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard the panoramic view monitor is having the same supply chain issues as the ML audio system which is why you don’t see those two options on very many of the early 2023 inventory
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (01-15-23)
Old 12-16-22, 09:22 AM
ishh
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BumbleD
So, after a few hours on the highway, driving pretty aggressively, here are my thoughts:

Not as torquy as the V6, but more than enough power on tap for passing and merging. It’s delivered more linearly so you gotta be assertive with the gas pedal. The engine stayed pretty quiet 90% of the time, unless I was really flooring it. But it sounds really cool and peppy at higher revs!

I was driving in Sport mode and testing the passing power a lot, and I still managed to average 7.5 litres/100km (31 mpg). I’ll drive more conservatively on my trip back for comparison.
that sounds encouraging! Barring any strong dislike after test driving it when it arrives, thinking I’ll proceed with the 350h. Thanks for the follow-up!
Old 12-17-22, 05:12 AM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

So, I've been driving around in my RX350h for a couple weeks now, enjoying myself immensely (the annoying growl of the engine seems to have smoothed out, or maybe I'm just getting used to it). But last night I found out something that I think everyone here will find of interest.

When you start the car, if you put it in gear immediately and start driving, before it's done loading your profile settings, it can cause weird behaviours in the infotainment.

Last night I put the car immediately in reverse after pressing the Start button and started moving, not really paying attention. I immediately noticed the "touch screen beep" was back despite having turned it off in the settings, and my "frequent items" were back to the default stuff from when I first got the car.

I didn't understand why and it bugged me a bit, coming from the absolute trainwreck that is Android Automotive, I think I have a bit of "infotainment PTSD". So anyway, today I had to run some errands and when I started the car, I gave it some time to boot up and it seemed to completely reload my settings (even cycling through the bright color scheme before coming back to the dark one). And everything was back to normal, like it was before last night.

So yeah, moral of the story, the new infotainment system needs a minute to boot correctly and completely. It'll work either way but may act weird if it's been rushed.
I don't think that beeping issue was because you started the car early. It seem like a reset in the Lexus system on the 13th evening. My settings in my NX450h+ also reset and my profile name reset back to my full name and the screen beeping came back as well. Another of my viewers also said that their settings reset around the same time as well.
BumbleD (12-17-22)
Old 12-17-22, 05:41 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
I don't think that beeping issue was because you started the car early. It seem like a reset in the Lexus system on the 13th evening. My settings in my NX450h+ also reset and my profile name reset back to my full name and the screen beeping came back as well. Another of my viewers also said that their settings reset around the same time as well.

Huh! That's an interesting theory.

So that "reset" would only affect 2 settings? The touchscreen beeps and the frequent items were the only things that had reverted back to their original value, everything else was intact. Almost like when a system is reading a configuration file and can't make it to the end (hence why I thought it was interrupted by my driving). Did you get the problem only once? Or is it a fun little recurring "feature"?
Old 12-17-22, 02:21 PM
lsft
Racer

Received 600 Likes on 403 Posts

Huh! That's an interesting theory.

So that "reset" would only affect 2 settings? The touchscreen beeps and the frequent items were the only things that had reverted back to their original value, everything else was intact. Almost like when a system is reading a configuration file and can't make it to the end (hence why I thought it was interrupted by my driving). Did you get the problem only once? Or is it a fun little recurring "feature"?
It has happened a few times since I owned my NX for 9 months.
BumbleD (12-17-22)
Old 12-18-22, 07:35 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Originally Posted by ishh
that sounds encouraging! Barring any strong dislike after test driving it when it arrives, thinking I’ll proceed with the 350h. Thanks for the follow-up!
Well I couldn't really test fuel efficiency because I was driving through the SNOWPOCALYPSE on the way back, so survival was more important than saving gas. But I can say though, the 350h has SERIOUS Jeep Wrangler vibes when plowing through a snowpile to get out of a driveway! Trail Mode really does work (when paired with Michelin X-Ice Snow tires). The drive felt safe even in the more spotty parts of the highway. Engine noise almost nonexistent too, even when passing.

All in all,I'm very satisfied with how the car behaved on its first road trip, even in a huge snowstorm. The star of the show was the ride quality, this new suspension is insanely great. It rides quiet too, that hasn't changed.

The old RX350 will not be missed.
Old 12-22-22, 08:47 PM
Anontheway
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I've been driving around in my RX350h for a couple weeks now, enjoying myself immensely (the annoying growl of the engine seems to have smoothed out, or maybe I'm just getting used to it). But last night I found out something that I think everyone here will find of interest.

When you start the car, if you put it in gear immediately and start driving, before it's done loading your profile settings, it can cause weird behaviours in the infotainment.

Last night I put the car immediately in reverse after pressing the Start button and started moving, not really paying attention. I immediately noticed the "touch screen beep" was back despite having turned it off in the settings, and my "frequent items" were back to the default stuff from when I first got the car.

I didn't understand why and it bugged me a bit, coming from the absolute trainwreck that is Android Automotive, I think I have a bit of "infotainment PTSD". So anyway, today I had to run some errands and when I started the car, I gave it some time to boot up and it seemed to completely reload my settings (even cycling through the bright color scheme before coming back to the dark one). And everything was back to normal, like it was before last night.

So yeah, moral of the story, the new infotainment system needs a minute to boot correctly and completely. It'll work either way but may act weird if it's been rushed.
Thank you so much for your information. I have an allocation this January, the specs sheet that dealer sent me did not show that it have the AC outlet, but the sale manager told me that ac outlet will come with every Rx 350h. I wonder if your Rx 350h came with the AC power outlet. Was Ac outlet listed as an option on your initial specs sheet?
Old 12-22-22, 09:11 PM
BumbleD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Anontheway
Thank you so much for your information. I have an allocation this January, the specs sheet that dealer sent me did not show that it have the AC outlet, but the sale manager told me that ac outlet will come with every Rx 350h. I wonder if your Rx 350h came with the AC power outlet. Was Ac outlet listed as an option on your initial specs sheet?
The sales manager lied. There are no AC outlets. Not in the Premium trim in Canada anyway. There are 2 standard “cigar lighter” style 12 V DC outlets though, one in the front next to the USBs and one in the cargo space. You can get a power inverter and get an AC outlet that way.
Old 12-22-22, 10:00 PM
Anontheway
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The sales manager lied. There are no AC outlets. Not in the Premium trim in Canada anyway. There are 2 standard “cigar lighter” style 12 V DC outlets though, one in the front next to the USBs and one in the cargo space. You can get a power inverter and get an AC outlet that way.
Thank you so much, I will ask sale manager to show me his source of info
BumbleD (12-23-22)
Old 12-31-22, 09:22 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Quick update. The infotainment system has not acted up since I started waiting for the whole boot up process before driving. Also, the engine sound has definitely mellowed out. Right now, the car is behaving rock solid and the drive feel is super satisfying. It reacts better to the accelerator as well, feels much more lively than it did at first.

I was putting 91 octane in it for the first 3 fill ups, and then I switched to 87, to see if there would be a difference. To my surprise, there is! I notice a little less umph in the acceleration, but the engine sounds smoother, creamier, if it makes sense. I'll switch back to 91 in a few weeks, to see if those characteristics weren't just placebo effect.

Will keep you guys posted. Also, second road trip coming up around the 7th of Jan. I'll be watching my fuel consumption and report on the numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by BumbleD:
Hefty (12-31-22), maadfw (12-31-22)
Old 01-07-23, 07:53 AM
BumbleD
Rookie

Quick update. The infotainment system has not acted up since I started waiting for the whole boot up process before driving. Also, the engine sound has definitely mellowed out. Right now, the car is behaving rock solid and the drive feel is super satisfying. It reacts better to the accelerator as well, feels much more lively than it did at first.

I was putting 91 octane in it for the first 3 fill ups, and then I switched to 87, to see if there would be a difference. To my surprise, there is! I notice a little less umph in the acceleration, but the engine sounds smoother, creamier, if it makes sense. I'll switch back to 91 in a few weeks, to see if those characteristics weren't just placebo effect.

Will keep you guys posted. Also, second road trip coming up around the 7th of Jan. I'll be watching my fuel consumption and report on the numbers.
200KM of highway, 50KM of city driving, average of 6.8 litres/100KM (34.5MPG)! Pretty darn good. And exactly as advertised.
Old 01-14-23, 02:59 PM
Hefty
Pit Crew

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

I picked up my 350h luxury yesterday. I had done quite a bit of research and read quite a bit in the online owner’s manual before picking it up. I had identified several of the settings I wanted to change. I had the tech guy help me make the changes and even showed him a couple he didn’t know existed. He even pseudo argued with me about the curve speed reduction in the radar cruise control section.

We made the changes yesterday before I made the 200 mile drive home. I stopped twice on the way home and the settings held. I spent quite a bit of time this morning programming the garage door opener, setting up the digital key, setting up my wife’s phone, sharing the digital key with her, and changing a couple of other settings. When I left this morning, my settings had reverted to default. I don’t think I took off before the infotainment system booted because I was trying to figure out how to get the thing in reverse. When I got to my first stop this afternoon, I changed the settings again. I made a total of three stops after making the changes this afternoon. I was trying not to take off before the infotainment system booted, but think I did at least once. So far the settings have held. I am hoping it was all of the tweaking we did this morning that reverted the system to its default settings.
Old 01-14-23, 07:36 PM
TheKerm
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Just took delivery of our Rx350H 2 days ago. The first thing I noticed when driving is that, when accelerating, the engine sounded just like the engine from a 2020 Rav4 (55k miles on it) rental that I used 6 months ago. For what I paid that was NOT what I wanted to hear. I know that the engine has much in common with the one in the Rav4, but I was hoping the harsh noise wouldn't be one of them. I do hope it mellows out as you indicate. Otherwise I love it. It is very quiet regarding outdoor noise, and I wonder if all that quietness makes it easier to hear the engine noise?
Old 01-15-23, 08:28 PM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Hefty
I picked up my 350h luxury yesterday. I had done quite a bit of research and read quite a bit in the online owner’s manual before picking it up. I had identified several of the settings I wanted to change. I had the tech guy help me make the changes and even showed him a couple he didn’t know existed. He even pseudo argued with me about the curve speed reduction in the radar cruise control section.

We made the changes yesterday before I made the 200 mile drive home. I stopped twice on the way home and the settings held. I spent quite a bit of time this morning programming the garage door opener, setting up the digital key, setting up my wife’s phone, sharing the digital key with her, and changing a couple of other settings. When I left this morning, my settings had reverted to default. I don’t think I took off before the infotainment system booted because I was trying to figure out how to get the thing in reverse. When I got to my first stop this afternoon, I changed the settings again. I made a total of three stops after making the changes this afternoon. I was trying not to take off before the infotainment system booted, but think I did at least once. So far the settings have held. I am hoping it was all of the tweaking we did this morning that reverted the system to its default settings.
Do some of the settings required the dealer to perform or are you able to do them all.

Quick Reply: An interesting thing about the new infotainment system