RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX350 or RX350h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 06:14 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Originally Posted by WellsB
Yeah, the 350h is actually quieter than the 4th gen RX.
NO COMPARISON - not even debatable. Honestly it's also quieter than my ES.
The following 3 users liked this post by mikemu30:
Bentru (03-20-24), StefanoS (05-27-24), WellsB (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 06:50 AM
aeromarkco
Driver

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Time to jump in…I had an Audi Q5 TDI (diesel) V6 - definitely louder than my 23 350h but it was a “clatter” noise…I loved the sound of that engine.

The 350h sound is different, ICE engine, two electric motors and a CVT - not worse, not louder just different. I love it too!
The following users liked this post:
mikemu30 (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 07:06 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aeromarkco
Time to jump in…I had an Audi Q5 TDI (diesel) V6 - definitely louder than my 23 350h but it was a “clatter” noise…I loved the sound of that engine.

The 350h sound is different, ICE engine, two electric motors and a CVT - not worse, not louder just different. I love it too!
I get it - some people love the noise - my son in law drives an M4 - I wear earplugs when he takes me for a ride
Old 03-20-24, 10:20 AM
omar33
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by John89
Depends how you want drive , if you want something that is fuel efficient to just cruise and aren't into getting on it the RX350h is good choice, but it is extremely loud and whiny if pushed plus slow. It will not get up to speed to quickly. However it will get you the MPG. This is great video that shows it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5ZGH73fDo , again a great set up if you just want MPG and don't care about drive or noise. Yes, the RX350 ICE will get you low 20's MPG but if your driver at least you can feel the power when you get on it, another good video showing you that difference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkRR23MZl0E.

It really drivers preference, I would suggest to spend a real good amount time with both and get on them from stop to hard push. Also pay attention to the load whine on RX350h when you get on it quickly, it isn't CVT it engine. It is no means the prior generation RX450H set up with V6.
These videos are not totally correct, the acceleration between the 350 and 350h are near as makes no difference the same. Its likely the CVT makes it feel the engine is working hard to get up to speed. Also very likely few/no RX owners floor their cars often enough to make this a deciding factor (except maybe the 500h now).

From a reliability/mechanical perspective the eCVT according to the car care nut is extremely reliable with no knows issues, in fact that entire drivetrain has proven itself since it came out in 2018. Now the 8 speed transmission on the 350 is likely very reliable but it will require more routine maintenance, couple that with more mechanical components like the turbo, alternator/starter motor, brake pads which will wear faster on the 350 (no regen braking) and you will find that as first owner you will likely save more in maintenance buying a hybrid.

It simply comes down to price and depreciation. For price, inventories of all vehicles are going up which works in your favor. I think I saw folks claiming at least 8-10% off MSRP for the 350. You can probably get a few grand off for the hybrid as well but not as much at the 350. On the depreciation side there will perhaps be more buyers for the hybrid.
Old 03-20-24, 11:37 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

They just have two different personalities, again all depends what your looking for as feel. There has to be difference to obtain those MPG, so there give and take for both models. Looking at torque numbers your at 233 for H vs 317 for ICE, that's really where you going to feel it and most likely that is why it gives that different driving prospective. I personally think, everyone is just so obsessed with EV trend there finding Hybrid to be happy medium along with all hype of supply/demand factor. Which is understandable given gas prices and typical Lexus/Toyota customer base not performance driven. I think both are very stable choices and at this point very similar in pricing, it just depends what your objective is and what your looking to get out of it. What great about this new generation is there multiple of different drive trains and trim levels that fits all different personalities.
Markfm (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 11:58 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

If you plan to keep the hybrid for a long time, you my have to replace the hybrid battery at some point which is an expense that won't be present on the 350 gas model. The Lexus Hybrid Battery Warranty coverage is for ten years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first on 2020 and newer models.
Markfm (03-20-24)
Old 03-20-24, 12:20 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
If you plan to keep the hybrid for a long time, you my have to replace the hybrid battery at some point which is an expense that won't be present on the 350 gas model. The Lexus Hybrid Battery Warranty coverage is for ten years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first on 2020 and newer models.

Yes, that is a consideration. The time to replace varies a lot. Some Prius are near 300k and have original batteries I think. My Prius is 15 years old with 172k miles on it, and battery is original. Cost to replace the battery would be $800 to $1000.
Old 03-20-24, 12:23 PM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by asj2024
Yes, that is a consideration. The time to replace varies a lot. Some Prius are near 300k and have original batteries I think. My Prius is 15 years old with 172k miles on it, and battery is original. Cost to replace the battery would be $800 to $1000.
My concern would be resell value if I bought it and it wasn't leased, because like an EV who is going to want 4 year old with high miles that battery has gone down from new. I would assume lease would be best option, even given complexity if something goes wrong there is a lot of components.
Old 03-20-24, 12:42 PM
asj2024
Advanced

My concern would be resell value if I bought it and it wasn't leased, because like an EV who is going to want 4 year old with high miles that battery has gone down from new. I would assume lease would be best option, even given complexity if something goes wrong there is a lot of components.
You can test battery life easily. Also, at least for the Prius, there is a very strong used car market, with loyalty to used Prius being the highest among buyers, according to Carmax. Not sure about RX, but I'm thinking should be similar, as resale values for Lexus in general are strong. and hybrid Lexus cars have been here for awhile too.

Old 03-20-24, 01:03 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Most hybrids have a higher resale value than their gas counterparts. Toyota has been in the hybrid business longer than anyone and they have really perfected it. That is why they offer the 10 year 150K warranty. As John89 said, some Prius models have gone hundreds of thousands of miles. A hybrid car's brakes last longer, the engine doesn't have the added stress of the turbo and in my opinion should last longer than its gas counterpart. I am not a fan of leasing and most financial advisors agree that financing or paying out right are better options however this is kind of off topic to the original post. I do agree though that with a true EV, leasing makes sense since you may get federal rebates and depreciation on EV's is severe. Also since EV technology is evolving so quickly, you don't want to get stuck with an out dated car that no one wants even with a severely lower price. (and $ loss for the seller)
StefanoS (05-27-24)
Old 03-20-24, 01:06 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Most hybrids have a higher resale value than their gas counterparts. Toyota has been in the hybrid business longer than anyone and they have really perfected it. That is why they offer the 10 year 150K warranty. As John89 said, some Prius models have gone hundreds of thousands of miles. A hybrid car's brakes last longer, the engine doesn't have the added stress of the turbo and in my opinion should last longer than its gas counterpart. I am not a fan of leasing and most financial advisors agree that financing or paying out right are better options however this is kind of off topic to the original post. I do agree though that with a true EV, leasing makes sense since you may get federal rebates and depreciation on EV's is severe. Also since EV technology is evolving so quickly, you don't want to get stuck with an out dated car that no one wants even with a severely lower price. (and $ loss for the seller)
Good point about the turbo on the ICE version.

The hybrid also can take regular gas (although premium is recommended), unlike the ICE, where premium is required.
Old 03-20-24, 02:01 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

How different is that from an ice only car that's ten years old with 200k miles. It's pretty worthless in either case.
WellsB (03-22-24)
Old 03-22-24, 09:59 AM
v0nzki
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2024 RX350 Gas Ultra Luxury vs RX350H Luxury

I'm confused on which one to get. Here's the offer from the dealership.
1. RX350 Gas Ultra Luxury 39mos
2. RX350 Hybrid Luxury 48 mos

Biweekly payment is $1 higher for Gas. Which would u choose? Leaning towards Hybrid but the extra features of Ultra is pulling me 😀

Last edited by v0nzki; 03-22-24 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-22-24, 10:44 AM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't see an "Ultra Luxury" as an RX 350 trim level (at least not in the US), nor an "Ultra" as a package, so what's it supposed to have?
Old 03-22-24, 10:57 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Markfm
I don't see an "Ultra Luxury" as an RX 350 trim level (at least not in the US), nor an "Ultra" as a package, so what's it supposed to have?
It's a Canadian market trim level. You can see what it gets on this pdf: https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automo...mpare-packages
Markfm (03-22-24)

Quick Reply: RX350 or RX350h?