RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

RX350 or RX350h?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-24, 09:01 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,114 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Some of the new car dealers are coming off the list price but the 350h is still is high demand so they may not. I believe later in 2023 the dealers will be discounting everything . . . .
Our two Lexus dealerships owned by the same family you could walk on the lot and buy a choice of RX 350's gas and still there's a 6-month waiting list for the hybrids. I recently read 3 years ago 10% of Lexus models were hybrids today it's 32%.
Old 01-03-24, 12:16 PM
EricTsang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't help that they're so close in price. to most people in this price range, it really is a no brainer, most don't drive these quickly to begin with so the performance difference is negligible compared to the gas savings.

I think the 350 "gas" is overpriced, while the 350h is underpriced. Maybe that was the strategy, get people wanting the h, but when they don't have enough, settle for the higher margin "gas" version. solid business decision and creates more perceived demand
Old 01-04-24, 02:49 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
Our two Lexus dealerships owned by the same family you could walk on the lot and buy a choice of RX 350's gas and still there's a 6-month waiting list for the hybrids. I recently read 3 years ago 10% of Lexus models were hybrids today it's 32%.
‘I had no idea that the waiting time for the 350h was still so long. I thought Lexus was catching up but evidently not. I did read the chinese had a glut of the rechargeable batteries and were upset that the demand had slowed. Not sure I would ever go full EV but love my hybrid. I see people waiting for hours at the local charging center and do not want that to be part of my life! The 350h seems to be a great compromise.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 03:49 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

In FL it looks like the hybrid RX's are finally starting to increase in inventory. There are also a few that are showing a slight discount off of MSRP, here's an example:https://www.lexusofsarasota.com/inve...bmca4rc028249/
ggebhardt (01-04-24)
Old 01-04-24, 04:47 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

‘I had no idea that the waiting time for the 350h was still so long. I thought Lexus was catching up but evidently not. I did read the chinese had a glut of the rechargeable batteries and were upset that the demand had slowed. Not sure I would ever go full EV but love my hybrid. I see people waiting for hours at the local charging center and do not want that to be part of my life! The 350h seems to be a great compromise.
Agree totally. Consumer Reports just came out that EV have 79% more problems than gas vehicles. Wall Street Journal just came out with EV insurance is 50% higher than gas vehicles. So any savings of electricity over gas goes to your insurance company and or repair shop. 37 mpg for a vehicle that size is amazing.
ggebhardt (01-04-24)
Old 01-06-24, 12:53 PM
tolson37
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree totally. Consumer Reports just came out that EV have 79% more problems than gas vehicles. Wall Street Journal just came out with EV insurance is 50% higher than gas vehicles. So any savings of electricity over gas goes to your insurance company and or repair shop. 37 mpg for a vehicle that size is amazing.
I just traded my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor for a new 2024 RX - After about 30k miles the only fix was replacing the washer blades and adding windshield washer fluid. The Tesla had the same insurance as my other family cars and was very close in cost. Not sure where Consumer Reports is getting their info from. All my friends with Tesla's had zero problems too.

I traded for the RX because the Tesla cabin noise was too high for me and I needed something more quiet & comfortable that could go across the country easily.

If I were to buy an EV again it would still be a Tesla - they're still way ahead of all the others. Especially when you consider the whole eco system of charging, etc..
The following 2 users liked this post by tolson37:
tck168 (01-06-24), WellsB (02-24-24)
Old 01-06-24, 01:08 PM
tck168
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tolson37
I just traded my 2020 Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor for a new 2024 RX - After about 30k miles the only fix was replacing the washer blades and adding windshield washer fluid. The Tesla had the same insurance as my other family cars and was very close in cost. Not sure where Consumer Reports is getting their info from. All my friends with Tesla's had zero problems too.

I traded for the RX because the Tesla cabin noise was too high for me and I needed something more quiet & comfortable that could go across the country easily.

If I were to buy an EV again it would still be a Tesla - they're still way ahead of all the others. Especially when you consider the whole eco system of charging, etc..
not sure what insurance you had, my Geico has insurance was gonna cost me almost double if I get a Y, but only $46/ half year if I get the RXH
Old 01-06-24, 04:50 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Dealer by me has plenty hybrids IN STOCK, some double digit numbers. RX, NX, ES. Pick your poison.
Old 01-06-24, 10:08 PM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

The reliability study figure is across all makes. As with everything, some makes are more reliable than others, and some EVs are more reliable than their ICE counterparts.
Old 01-07-24, 09:44 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

The increase in problems was primarily with full BEV's not traditional hybrids. Traditional hybrids are one of highest rated categories. Plugin hybrids not as high as regular hybrids. The Chrysler Pacifica plugin hybrid was one of the worse rated cars. I don't think a traditional hybrid would cost much more than the gas version to insure.
Old 01-07-24, 09:53 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
The increase in problems was primarily with full BEV's not traditional hybrids. Traditional hybrids are one of highest rated categories. Plugin hybrids not as high as regular hybrids. The Chrysler Pacifica plugin hybrid was one of the worse rated cars. I don't think a traditional hybrid would cost much more than the gas version to insure.
Agree with this. It seems that "traditional hybrids" are now the sweet spot. They have been around long enough to be "proven". The plug-in hybrids are still a question mark the the fully electric cars have saturated the two groups (enthusiasts and city drivers with easy charging) that will buy them. If gas returns to $5, then maybe plug-ins will return to favor. But not at $3 gas.
Old 01-07-24, 10:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Agree with this. It seems that "traditional hybrids" are now the sweet spot. They have been around long enough to be "proven". The plug-in hybrids are still a question mark the the fully electric cars have saturated the two groups (enthusiasts and city drivers with easy charging) that will buy them. If gas returns to $5, then maybe plug-ins will return to favor. But not at $3 gas.
‘I almost feel sorry for the people sitting and waiting at the charging stations. I watched one guy in his new Lightning pickup plug in and then have a family member to pick them while charging. I have seen them sleeping in their vehicle and sitting on the curbs waiting.

‘’I do no want this to be part of my life, ever! Love the hybrid!
Freds430 (02-24-24)
Old 01-07-24, 01:33 PM
jer
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

‘I almost feel sorry for the people sitting and waiting at the charging stations. I watched one guy in his new Lightning pickup plug in and then have a family member to pick them while charging. I have seen them sleeping in their vehicle and sitting on the curbs waiting.

I agree. I see people stating it 'only takes 20-30 minutes to charge, but what if there's 2 or 3 vehicles ahead of you? With gas that means maybe an extra 5 minute wait. Around here, if you are not charging at home, the public chargers are all open to the weather. Not fun in Florida during one of our storms. Main reason looking at the 350h.
Old 02-23-24, 06:11 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Legacy cars are slowly going out of favor, so I would get the hybrid.

1. It can take regular gas, unlike the non-hybrid RX350 which needs premium
2. it costs similar to the non-hybrid
3. You save a ton of gas money over the long haul.
WellsB (02-23-24)
Old 02-24-24, 05:34 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Consumer Reports just reported that EV have 79% more problems than gasoline vehicles. WSJ just came out with EV insurance is 50% higher than gas vehicles. So any small savings electric over gas goes to their insurance companies. J D Power has Tesla 26 out of 30 in dependability and 32 out of 33 in initial quality. Michelin reports EV tires wear 20% faster. No thanks!!!
autotech13 (02-24-24)

Quick Reply: RX350 or RX350h?