RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-23, 02:02 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 211 Likes on 144 Posts

Got a cheery text this afternoon from my dealer's service department asking when I'd like to set up my first servicing. I told them there would be no such servicing until I got my second key.
The response was "oh, those can take a couple of months after you buy the car." In fact it has been four months. I know it's not the dealer's fault, but somehow Lexus needs to know how ridiculous this is.
I know people buying Subarus who are getting two keys, and Lexus (of course) keeps shipping cars. Toyota is a massive corporation with great capabilities. I know there WAS a chip shortage, but they really should
have worked around it by now....can't say that they seem to care one bit.
The following users liked this post:
IBen (07-24-23)
Old 07-19-23, 03:31 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Got a cheery text this afternoon from my dealer's service department asking when I'd like to set up my first servicing. I told them there would be no such servicing until I got my second key.
The response was "oh, those can take a couple of months after you buy the car." In fact it has been four months. I know it's not the dealer's fault, but somehow Lexus needs to know how ridiculous this is.
I know people buying Subarus who are getting two keys, and Lexus (of course) keeps shipping cars. Toyota is a massive corporation with great capabilities. I know there WAS a chip shortage, but they really should
have worked around it by now....can't say that they seem to care one bit.
Don’t skip necessary services. It could void your warranty.
Old 07-19-23, 03:47 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Don’t skip necessary services. It could void your warranty.
And if you don't use the first free 6 month service, you lose it.
Old 07-20-23, 12:09 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PeteInGilr
And if you don't use the first free 6 month service, you lose it.
Since I have to drive a total of six hours to get to the dealer and bank, I can deal with that. Furthermore, you don't even get an oil change, all you get is a tire rotation and a visual inspection....I can have my local guy do that.
Old 07-20-23, 12:17 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 410 Likes on 276 Posts

Lexus pays for the first two service visits, not the dealership, so by going third party you’re sort of helping the guys who aren’t giving you the second fob. Just a thought.

I’ll be making a point to get as much free service and warranty work done as possible on our two 23s, one of which I’ve waited over a half year for my second fob and still don’t have it despite Lexus being happy to sell as many new cars as possible meanwhile. I get the shortage was beyond their control, I’m just not thrilled with how they handled it on my over $100,000 in purchases.
IBen (07-24-23)
Old 07-20-23, 12:23 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BBQapple
Lexus pays for the first two service visits, not the dealership, so by going third party you’re sort of helping the guys who aren’t giving you the second fob. Just a thought.

I’ll be making a point to get as much free service and warranty work done as possible on our two 23s, one of which I’ve waited over a half year for my second fob and still don’t have it despite Lexus being happy to sell as many new cars as possible meanwhile. I get the shortage was beyond their control, I’m just not thrilled with how they handled it on my over $100,000 in purchases.
Well, I was only addressing the issue of my first "service" visit, which essentially consists of nothing. Only a tire rotation...I don't see the value in driving 300 miles for a free tire rotation...obviously Lexus doesn't care how we feel given how poorly they have handled this key fob situation.

As far as warranty work (I understand your point) the reason why we bought the 2023 RX is because our 2013 RX (which we have retained) never needed any warranty work at all...hopefully the new one will perform similarly.
Without getting into the weeds on this, I worked in the chip business for over 25 years, and really don't understand exactly why Toyota is having such a big problem when other brands aren't. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-20-23, 12:55 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Originally Posted by budwom
I was only addressing the issue of my first "service" visit, which essentially consists of nothing. Only a tire rotation...I don't see the value in driving 300 miles for a free tire rotation...obviously Lexus doesn't care how we feel given how poorly they have handled this key fob situation.
I brought up because your earlier comments suggested you’re avoiding service at the dealership in order to punish Lexus and that your future business would be contingent on you receiving the fob:

Old 07-20-23, 01:39 PM
budwom
Intermediate

I brought up because your earlier comments suggested you’re avoiding service at the dealership in order to punish Lexus and that your future business would be contingent on you receiving the fob:

Absolutely true. As long as you perform ALL the procedures outlined in your Service Manual (and can documet that), you have absolutely no obligation to have services performed by Lexus and your warranty protection is good.
So I'll be getting my servicing done elsewhere...until recently I'd been using a local Toyota dealer, and the typical cost of doing the precise work Lexus requires was only 40% of the Lexus "estimated" cost.

What do I hope to get out of this? Probably not much, but if the dealer knows this key issue is causing them some service work, maybe they'll exert a bit more pressure on Toyota. I recognize I have about zero leverage.
The following 2 users liked this post by budwom:
IBen (07-31-23), Klamalama (07-24-23)
Old 07-20-23, 01:42 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Agreed this applies pressure. Service work is a huge profit center for a dealership, probably more money than is made selling cars.
Old 07-20-23, 01:53 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Agreed this applies pressure. Service work is a huge profit center for a dealership, probably more money than is made selling cars.
Yeah, pre pandemic I read a report that dealer profits came approximately 10% from new car sales (everyone can look up an approximation of dealer cost on line, more or less), and the other 90% pretty evenly split between used car sales and service.

Old 07-20-23, 04:23 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the waiting for a second key fob boat as well, guess I can't complain too much as it has only been a little over a week since getting the car, not sure when I'll see the new fob. What's aggravating is that a friend picked up his new Honda Passport 5 days ago and he got 2 key fobs with the car! Why can Honda get the fob's but not Toyota / Lexus?
Old 07-20-23, 04:29 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the same boat waiting for my second key fob as well, guess I can't complain as I picked up the car last week. Not sure when I'll get second fob based on all of your responses. What is aggravating is that a friend picked up his new Honda Passport 3 days ago and it came with 2 key fobs! Why can Honda get them but Toyota/Lexus can't?
IBen (07-31-23)
Old 07-22-23, 10:53 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Well, my approach (squeaky wheel gets the grease) seems to have worked (hopefully). After I told the service folks I wouldn't be doing any servicing there until I got a second key (and I emphasized I knew it was not the dealer's fault) I just got a call from the general manager who said he is now setting up an appointment for me to come down and get a second key (I had not received any letter from Lexus)...and confirming what you guys told me, I have to drive down there (150 miles each way), but I'd rather do that now than when snow is falling.
And I really need a key for valet purposes coming up soon...
Old 07-29-23, 12:06 PM
CCGS
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by DenBar
When I took delivery of my 2023 RX 350 the dealership we will eventually receive a second fob. He was not certain as to when that will be in the future, only said that Lexus is not going to forget about us and will deliver second fob.
Same, it was a bit of a passing remark when I took delivery. I asked what happens if I lose the one and only - We will fast track your second FOB. The good news is that I have never lost one (knock on wood).
Old 07-29-23, 12:08 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by CCGS
Same, it was a bit of a passing remark when I took delivery. I asked what happens if I lose the one and only - We will fast track your second FOB. The good news is that I have never lost one (knock on wood).
Airtag or Tile is mandatory.

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?