RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 10:19 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I own a 2023 RX 350 Premium+. I would think it it was available, it would be for all of the versions, especially the upper end packages. When I asked my salesman about it he researched the issue and told me the 2023 RX350 are not built to work with a wallet key and there is no part number established with Lexus for such a part. Apparently, a wallet key is a specific part for each vehicle which is programmed to work with them. My salesman confirmed with the parts department there is no number for that type of part for that year vehicle. That is all I know.
Old 01-16-23, 11:47 AM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I totally understand frustration with one key fob only when digital key is not included or you are in an area or space where signal is not strong. Maybe use one key fob as a bargain piece to receive free digital key subscription or something else for the inconvenience.

And I hope all Lexus dealerships stay upfront about it with folks before they sign paperwork. That is just honest and decent attitude any Lexus dealership should have.
Old 01-16-23, 11:52 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I still don’t see why this is a big deal. Everyone will get a second key fairly soon.
The following users liked this post:
SaraLvsLxs (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 12:31 PM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Yup. True.
Old 01-24-23, 04:58 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

For us it can be a big deal as I travel for business. At times, I need to leave my car at the airport when I travel by air for my husband to pick up later in the day. Can't do that with one key and the digital key not working with our iPhones.
The following 2 users liked this post by hugsmindy:
arkayem (11-13-23), ssimekaz (01-31-23)
Old 01-24-23, 05:04 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hugsmindy
For us it can be a big deal as I travel for business. At times, I need to leave my car at the airport when I travel by air for my husband to pick up later in the day. Can't do that with one key and the digital key not working with our iPhones.
Not ideal, but you COULD hide the key in the vehicle and leave the driver’s door unlocked. Or figure out some “old school” thing like a metal key box magnetized under the car. Or tape the key to the tailpipe up underneath.

They need to fix the $325 digital key. Letting this fester is not acceptable.
Old 01-24-23, 02:30 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Not ideal, but you COULD hide the key in the vehicle and leave the driver’s door unlocked. Or figure out some “old school” thing like a metal key box magnetized under the car. Or tape the key to the tailpipe up underneath.

They need to fix the $325 digital key. Letting this fester is not acceptable.
Or take the other car. If you have one. Taping to the tail pipe would mean waiting 20 mins for it to cool off. Take the metal door key out, give it to your husband and hide the FOB really well inside the car.
Old 01-24-23, 02:35 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
Or take the other car. If you have one. Taping to the tail pipe would mean waiting 20 mins for it to cool off. Take the metal door key out, give it to your husband and hide the FOB really well inside the car.
How would this work? If the FOB is inside the car, how will it lock so that the spouse can unlock it with the metal key? And exactly where does one inset the metal key to unlock?
Old 01-24-23, 02:53 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

How would this work? If the FOB is inside the car, how will it lock so that the spouse can unlock it with the metal key? And exactly where does one inset the metal key to unlock?
Unless Lexus has done something really dumb. Every Keyless entry FOB has an emergency metal key in the FOB. In case the FOB battery goes. It would go at the end of the driver’s door handle. Probably has a cover over it.
As far as the FOB, wrap it in aluminum or put it in a metal box. You may even be able to use one of those cards that block the RF signals from credit cards. Don’t know about that one.
Old 01-24-23, 02:55 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Unless Lexus has done something really dumb. Every Keyless entry FOB has an emergency metal key in the FOB. In case the FOB battery goes. It would go at the end of the driver’s door handle. Probably has a cover over it.
As far as the FOB, wrap it in aluminum or put it in a metal box. You may even be able to use one of those cards that block the RF signals from credit cards. Don’t know about that one.
But what does removing the metal key accomplish? You can’t lock the car with the FOB inside and without it outside.
Old 01-24-23, 03:01 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

But what does removing the metal key accomplish? You can’t lock the car with the FOB inside and without it outside.
Read my previous post, wrapping the FOB or the box blocks the FOB signal.Doesn’t the new RX still have a switch on the doors to unlock and LOCK the doors.
Old 01-24-23, 03:05 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Read my previous post, wrapping the FOB or the box blocks the FOB signal.Doesn’t the new RX still have a switch on the doors to unlock and LOCK the doors.
Not without the FOB signal from outside the car.
Old 01-24-23, 03:13 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Not without the FOB signal from outside the car.
So if I’m driving and the doors are locked. I pick up a passenger, I can’t let them in and relock the door?

Old 01-24-23, 03:24 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

I stand corrected, on my 21 Mercedes. With the door open and no FOB, I can’t lock the drivers door using the switch on the door. On my 17 Acura, I can.
If that’s the case, use the metal key to lock the door.
The following users liked this post:
daryll40 (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 03:41 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

I also stand corrected. My car auto locks after about 2 minutes. I’m sure there’s some way to turn this off, but in this case it accomplishes what the original poster wants to do. Provided the key is wrapped, inside the car, with foil or done other way to fake the car into
thinking the key is not inside. Another option is to lock and unlock with the app.

Our 2021 Subaru Crosstrek can be locked without the FOB by pressing the interior driver’s door lock button before closing the door. I suspect there is a way to program auto lock, as it’s the same as the Toyota software. And I did not try it, but I’m guessing that the RX will also lock this way without the FOB. Oh and the exterior Subaru door handles “touch lock” requires the FOB nearby, outside the car. I assume this is also true of the RX. But if you don’t have the FOB, locking the driver’s door from the inside as you exit the car will work.

So there are options for the original poster to lock-and-hide-the-FOB, but they are cumbersome. The trick is to be sure the FOB has its signals blocked by foil or other signal-blocking container and is hidden inside the car. And for both spouses to unlock the car with the physical key or by the Lexus app, even if the digital key software hasn’t yet been fixed by Lexus.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-24-23 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?