RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-23, 02:13 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Will it work in my condo garage that does get cell phone signals but does not get Sirius/XM signals?
Apples and oranges here. Different type of signal. Sirius depends on line of sight. Won’t work in tunnels or can even be blocked by tall trees.
Old 01-31-23, 08:13 PM
ssimekaz
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello to all. Just joined tonight, this was the first topic I searched for. Sorry to hear that we are all in the same boat. In my case, I was NOT told there was a key shortage until I was handed 1 key and ask where the second one was. When I asked how long the wait would be, the salesman answered "Some customers are telling us it was only 1-2 days"... Seriously, is there no hope before April? Between that and all the multimedia bugs (being retired IT with 30+ years of testing user interfaces, I feel qualified to say that), we're off to a bad start.
The following users liked this post:
NugiRX (12-11-23)
Old 02-02-23, 04:42 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I called Lexus to assist with setting up my digital key and they mentioned my second key should arrive in April. We shall see.
Old 02-02-23, 05:36 AM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BumbleD
As far as I know, it’s only for unlocking the driver door. And then if there’s any juice left in the 12V battery, the alarm is triggered and you need to stick an actual keyfob on the Start button to shut it up. So I’m not sure what’s the point of giving us 2 physical keys. Maybe it’s a legal thing.
If the battery in the key fob dies, the engine will fail to start when the start button is pushed because the key fob battery energizes the RFID chip in the key fob. Sit in the car, the car receives the RFID chip frequency.

Dead key fob battery=No Key detected.

Physically unlocking the door with the bladed key turns off the intrusion alert system.

There is an electrical coil ring surrounding the start button.

Placing the key fob (with it's dead battery)on the start button.....the coil ring energizes the RFID chip in the key fob allowing the engine to start when the start button is pushed.

All "push to start" cars are like this except for those which have a slot where the key fob inserts into a slot, such as Mini Cooper, Nissan.

It's part of DOT "safety" regulations........another "safety" regulation coming this year for vehicles with wireless start systems is limited engine run-time when the engine is remotely started via the key fob buttons.

Hypothetical example: When you're inside your warm house on a cold/freezing morning and you push the key fob buttons to start the car......so the cars warmed up (heater).....the limited run-time may be as short as a couple minutes.

Hopefully, when this regulation is enacted....hopefully, the engine run-time will be determined by engine coolant temperature vs ambient air temperature.

​​

Old 02-02-23, 02:37 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Nissan works the same way.
Old 02-05-23, 02:54 PM
brees1337
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pwlang
Does anyone know how many Key Fobs comes with the new 2023 Lexus RX 350h Luxury. I know you can purchase the digital key (smartphone) with a subscription, but I just want two key fobs.
My dealer only gave me one but they said that they were waiting for more to come in and would drag me in to program a second one “when” “we have no idea”
Old 02-05-23, 09:25 PM
Iheartmyrx
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up my new RX a little over a week ago. Walked in, fully expecting to only get one fob, but we got two.
Old 02-05-23, 09:29 PM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

I bought two months ago and still haven’t gotten my second fob. My car came with the digital card thing that will start the car my wife can use, but it’s a little crappy they charged me money for the digital card also.

But to be fair I was told all this before I purchased.
Old 02-06-23, 08:27 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Digital card? I thought on this thread someone said there was no physical digital card for the new RX - you use the app to start the car assuming the car has the $275 digital key option.
Old 02-06-23, 10:21 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=BBQapple;11443975]I bought two months ago and still haven’t gotten my second fob. My car came with the digital card thing that will start the car my wife can use, but it’s a little crappy they charged me money for the digital card also.

I tried to get a digital card from my dealer and he told me it wasn't possible.

Last edited by bdspilot; 02-06-23 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-06-23, 10:24 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Right, that was a previous conclusion here - so bbqapple will have to tell us what this digital card is.
Old 02-06-23, 10:26 AM
BBQapple
Instructor

Received 409 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Digital card? I thought on this thread someone said there was no physical digital card for the new RX - you use the app to start the car assuming the car has the $275 digital key option.
Ugh, sorry! I drive an ES300h and am here considering a new car for my wife.
Old 02-07-23, 05:09 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Track Receipt of Digital Key Fob

I know we have a thread related to only receiving one key fob upon purchase, but how about a thread that tracks when (should it actually start to happen) we receive our 2nd key fob? If you receive, please post.....
Date of purchase: 1/21/2023
Date of 2nd key fob receipt: TBD
The following 2 users liked this post by hugsmindy:
daryll40 (02-07-23), IBen (02-07-23)
Old 02-10-23, 12:26 PM
IBen
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ssimekaz
Hello to all. Just joined tonight, this was the first topic I searched for. Sorry to hear that we are all in the same boat. In my case, I was NOT told there was a key shortage until I was handed 1 key and ask where the second one was. When I asked how long the wait would be, the salesman answered "Some customers are telling us it was only 1-2 days"... Seriously, is there no hope before April? Between that and all the multimedia bugs (being retired IT with 30+ years of testing user interfaces, I feel qualified to say that), we're off to a bad start.
I got the same treatment in Ontario, and they are made here. My dealer wont even commit to any type of time frame for delivery of the second key.
Old 02-12-23, 01:53 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't have my car yet but dealer said one fob with second on "later".

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?