RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-24, 05:00 PM
Rsnook
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So yesterday I called my Lexus dealer…again….to ask about my 2nd key…..it has only been 6 months. I called around 3:30. No, I was told, it is not in yet. This is after being told it would be here in march, then in May, then in June. I asked to speak to someone else and someone else was not there but he would call me back in an hour. I waited oh so patiently by the phone and finally at midnight I figured I had missed his call or he didn’t call. Anyway key was not in. This morning an epiphany. At 7:30 someone called and said my key had arrived! So at 2:00 I went in and got my key. It was simply amazing. It was not there at 3:30 yesterday, but was there at 7:30 this morning after I asked to talk to someone else. No mail or other deliveries yesterday afternoon,allegedly and none early in the morning. Where oh where did that key come from?
Old 06-25-24, 07:03 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

The dealer has zero say on when you get the second key. Lexus makes the call.
Old 06-25-24, 08:42 PM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

All this... just to get a key, that you already paid for months ago. Top-of-the-line customer focus of a so-called "Luxury" car brand.
The following users liked this post:
IBen (07-09-24)
Old 06-26-24, 04:15 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
The dealer has zero say on when you get the second key. Lexus makes the call.
Well, not exactly. I complained months ago and got one right away....I'm a professional complainer, so I think that helped. (I responded to the Lexus dealer telling me it was time to schedule a service with them, and I responded that if they ever wanted to see me as a service customer they'd get me a second key which they did.) I hate having to go into that mode, but I also hated paying well more than $50k for a car with only one key.

Furthermore, as I was waiting for my car's fob to be programmed, my service writer came out and pointed to a new Lexus coming in on a flatbed truck...the woman who owned it lost her only key. D'oh! I asked him if they had a key for her, and he said yes....so at least on that particular day they had a couple of keys hanging around. I suspect they have a stash of unknown size for such eventualities.

Last edited by budwom; 06-26-24 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-26-24, 06:57 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Yes exactly because the work has to be allowed and claimed under warranty work. Yes, they’ve helped people that have had emergencies like losing the key and the occasional Karen.
Old 06-26-24, 10:41 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

Yes exactly because the work has to be allowed and claimed under warranty work.
The dealer definitely has some say on the key availability - if not directly, then indirectly. My servicing dealer, who I deliberately chose to be different from my selling dealer, had a large stash of keys from which they programmed one for me at the 5K mile service - while my car-selling dealer was trying to get me to pay for a (effectively 3rd) key while I was waiting for the "warranty"-based 2nd key - telling me I had 2-3 more months of wait in store. My selling dealer was one from hell.
Old 06-27-24, 04:48 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkle
The dealer definitely has some say on the key availability - if not directly, then indirectly. My servicing dealer, who I deliberately chose to be different from my selling dealer, had a large stash of keys from which they programmed one for me at the 5K mile service - while my car-selling dealer was trying to get me to pay for a (effectively 3rd) key while I was waiting for the "warranty"-based 2nd key - telling me I had 2-3 more months of wait in store. My selling dealer was one from hell.
Similar experience to mine...while they are not generally responsive about a second key, they DO really want your service work (when you see what they charge you know why) so using that as leverage can be helpful...
Old 06-28-24, 10:55 AM
amshah97
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to the above posts about checking the Lexus app - I noticed I had the second key Service Campaign listed. Called dealer and they say the key will be ready next week. No letter or other notification.
Old 06-28-24, 01:22 PM
judycarl2001
6th Gear

When you say you issued a deadline, what did you say would happen if they didn't deliver it by your deadline?
The following 2 users liked this post by judycarl2001:
nowlen (07-01-24), wrinkle (06-28-24)
Old 07-10-24, 06:56 AM
judycarl2001
6th Gear

Angry 2nd key???????????????????????

How did you get your second key????????????????????????????
Old 07-10-24, 07:07 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Finally picked up our second key last week. Went with just one key for 14 months. It's been ready for pick up for 9 months. Bonus, falling dash garnish is now fixed as well.
Old 07-10-24, 12:49 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Finally picked up our second key last week. Went with just one key for 14 months. It's been ready for pick up for 9 months. Bonus, falling dash garnish is now fixed as well.
I just realized the second fob that I kicked and screamed for was given to me without the metal insert Now I have to kick and scream some more this weekend when I go in for the first oil change.
Old 07-10-24, 01:25 PM
almot
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The metal insert was provided when you purchased your vehicle.
Old 07-10-24, 01:26 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikemu30
I just realized the second fob that I kicked and screamed for was given to me without the metal insert Now I have to kick and scream some more this weekend when I go in for the first oil change.
Ours was attached to the key fob we got when we bought the vehicle. Our sales lady separated them and told us to put the second shank in a place we'd remember for when our second key fob comes in (wife forgot where but we found it in 30 seconds). Both shanks but only one fob was delivered from the factory to the dealer.
Old 07-11-24, 08:50 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,790 Posts

Ours was attached to the key fob we got when we bought the vehicle. Our sales lady separated them and told us to put the second shank in a place we'd remember for when our second key fob comes in (wife forgot where but we found it in 30 seconds). Both shanks but only one fob was delivered from the factory to the dealer.
Nope they never gave it to us from the start.

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?