RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

How many Key Fob are included with new RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-23, 09:45 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

While I wait for second fob, got a cover for the first one. I did not like the leather cover that came with it - kind of loose and too big IMO. I found the one below on Amazon and really like the feel. It is soft rubber but very smooth, polished on the outside. Bought the white for wife and now buying gray for me. Just need that second FOB!

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-15-23, 03:42 PM
madmax24
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by cuzi
I talked to Lexus and hey indicated the 2nd fob would arrive in the April/May time frame.
The sticker in the window of my 2023 RX 350 (Luxury package), said I would receive the 2nd fob from Toyota within 30 days. I bought the car in November and it is now mid-March. Still no 2nd fob. I called Lexus USA, in Plano, TX and they said "maybe" in May. I am giving serious thought to contacting an Attorney to pursue a class action suit against Lexus/Toyota. They have misled their customers and their dealers. I would never have purchased the car, if I had known I wouldn't be getting a 2nd fob right away. A single fob makes it nearly impossible to share the vehicle with a second driver.
The following users liked this post:
IBen (05-15-23)
Old 03-15-23, 03:48 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax24
The sticker in the window of my 2023 RX 350 (Luxury package), said I would receive the 2nd fob from Toyota within 30 days. I bought the car in November and it is now mid-March. Still no 2nd fob. I called Lexus USA, in Plano, TX and they said "maybe" in May. I am giving serious thought to contacting an Attorney to pursue a class action suit against Lexus/Toyota. They have misled their customers and their dealers. I would never have purchased the car, if I had known I wouldn't be getting a 2nd fob right away. A single fob makes it nearly impossible to share the vehicle with a second driver.
You're absolutely right that Lexus failed to deliver what they promised you. But is this really a class action thing? There's a global supply chain issue, although it's easing. Most of us have gotten the Digital Key (if you have that option) to work as a "second" key. I'm annoyed that my body side moldings, paid for and promised by the dealer, aren't being made in my color. But I get it. We all know that Lexus has to make good on the second FOB at some point. Technically you are right, but this is a de minimus thing. I'd say to try to focus on all of the good stuff in this new vehicle and know that the extra FOB will arrive eventually. Just my .02

Last edited by daryll40; 03-15-23 at 04:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by daryll40:
aeubank (06-08-23), NugiRX (01-10-24), Urlik (03-16-23)
Old 03-15-23, 07:47 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I would say most of us have NOT gotten the digital key to work esp. if you have an Iphone with updated software. Lexus told me their engineers are "working" on a fix but who knows when that will be? So they have failed on the 2nd key and failed on the digital key. That being said I still love my car and since it's just me and my wife who drive it, who ever needs to car gets the 1 key.
The following users liked this post:
IBen (04-04-23)
Old 03-16-23, 01:13 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Due to the chip shortage, you only get one fob. You do get the extra emergency key which you will insert in the 2nd fob when you get it. No a problem for me, I am the only driver.
Old 03-16-23, 01:30 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I would say most of us have NOT gotten the digital key to work esp. if you have an Iphone with updated software. Lexus told me their engineers are "working" on a fix but who knows when that will be? So they have failed on the 2nd key and failed on the digital key. That being said I still love my car and since it's just me and my wife who drive it, who ever needs to car gets the 1 key.
I have the latest iPhone with the latest software and my Digital Key works (although it did not for the first few weeks). But I agree that enough people are still having problems and that Lexus is dragging their feet on a true definitive fix. Which exacerbates the only-1-FOB issue for those affected.
Old 03-16-23, 04:05 AM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

What happens if someone looses the one key fob they have right now , and the digital key doesn't work ? This is the one real bad thing about one key fob. Let's face it, we have all misplaced or lost a key in our lifetime. In addition, some friends of mine just purchased a new Highlander, and they got more than one fob so why do some get them and others don't?

Last edited by RDLGX; 03-16-23 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-16-23, 06:42 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Good Point. In that case you are screwed.
Old 03-17-23, 03:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by madmax24
My dealer told me, up front, before I signed the papers, there will only be one FOB for now. I asked him what would happen if I lost the one and he said that service would replace it. Chips are limited. Lexus is much better than Audi which sold me a Q5 with safety features like blind spot monitoring left off due to the chip shortage. I did not find out until driving home in the vehicle.
Old 03-17-23, 04:09 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
My dealer told me, up front, before I signed the papers, there will only be one FOB for now. I asked him what would happen if I lost the one and he said that service would replace it. Chips are limited. Lexus is much better than Audi which sold me a Q5 with safety features like blind spot monitoring left off due to the chip shortage. I did not find out until driving home in the vehicle.
I thought about this more. For most of us, I think waiting a reasonable longer period of time for the 2nd FOB is, well, reasonable. But for anyone who had an early vehicle with a sticker that promised the 2nd FOB within 30 days, I think it may be time to demand it. My guess is that Lexus will pony those up for those who had that 30 day sticker promise.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
ggebhardt (03-17-23), IBen (05-16-23)
Old 03-17-23, 06:02 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by krafty81
While I wait for second fob, got a cover for the first one. I did not like the leather cover that came with it - kind of loose and too big IMO. I found the one below on Amazon and really like the feel. It is soft rubber but very smooth, polished on the outside. Bought the white for wife and now buying gray for me. Just need that second FOB!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just ordered a gray one for myself. Thanks for the link. My leather one was too tight. And the holes didn't line up well.
Old 03-17-23, 07:35 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronn1
What happens if someone looses the one key fob they have right now , and the digital key doesn't work ? This is the one real bad thing about one key fob. Let's face it, we have all misplaced or lost a key in our lifetime. In addition, some friends of mine just purchased a new Highlander, and they got more than one fob so why do some get them and others don't?
I’m 75. My wife and I have never lost a key. In the old days, the key was either in my pocket or the ignition. Now it’s always in my pocket.
Old 03-17-23, 07:36 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I hope you took the car back.
Old 03-17-23, 07:40 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
I’m 75. My wife and I have never lost a key. In the old days, the key was either in my pocket or the ignition. Now it’s always in my pocket.
I've never lost a key either. That being said, I always give a second key to any traveling companion in case I do lost a key while out of town on a car trip. Because I have the Digital Key and it's working, I can use the single FOB as the companion backup. I don't trust the Digital Key (yet) enough to go out of town without at least one FOB.
Old 03-17-23, 07:49 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by daryll40
I've never lost a key either. That being said, I always give a second key to any traveling companion in case I do lost a key while out of town on a car trip. Because I have the Digital Key and it's working, I can use the single FOB as the companion backup. I don't trust the Digital Key (yet) enough to go out of town without at least one FOB.
My wife has keys to both our cars. So whichever car I drive, she has the other key. If she drives, I have the extra key to that car.

Quick Reply: How many Key Fob are included with new RX?