RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-23, 06:36 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts
Default 2023 nx350h vs 2023 rx350h

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed here yet, I did search but didn't find anything. Posted this same post in the NX forum and thought I'd post here as well.

We were the owners of a 2020 RX350 FSport, which was stolen Dec 21st while we were out of the country. Discovered it was gone when we arrived at the Park N Fly self park lot at Toronto Airport December 29th to collect the car and drive home. So we are shopping for a replacement and I'm looking for input from NX owners who switched to the RX. What's your impression, are you happy with the change, any regrets? We are changing models to the hybrid version. I don't want to pay the price for premium fuel as here in Canada it's a massive difference. We had a 2009 RX that needed premium and every time I pumped gas, I felt terrible. Since the drive trains are the same in both vehicles, I'm not sure why I'd want the RX over the NX. Dealer says they are focussed on different segments, NX sporty hot rod ish, RX luxo cruiser. Sounds like sales speak to me. So I need some assistance from those who switched, please.

We test drove both yesterday and the almost $10K difference is a bit hard to swallow. We really don't need all the space in the RX. The big issue is delivery. We are looking for the hybrid in the top Executive model here in Canada. Lead times for both are 6-9 months area right now. I will be forced to buy another car for the interim and the Toyota dealer attached to our Lexus dealer has a 2020 Rav4 Limited of interest.

On a side note, we test drove it yesterday too. It'll do, but the difference between the Rav and the NX/RX is astounding. Drove the Rav first and then the NX. Night and day difference from a NVH perspective. Unfortunately due to the lack of inventory there as well, a 2 year old is selling for essentially the same price as a brand new one!

Thanks in advance for all thoughtful feedback.
Old 01-04-23, 12:47 PM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

The differences are significant in the wheelbase, NX=105.9" and RX is 112.2".

Length NX is 183.5" RX is 192.5".

Width 73.4" vs 75.6" and height 64.6" vs 67.3" are pretty close.

The extra wheelbase will make the RX (relatively speaking) a highway cruiser, and the NX a bit sportier.

The sales person was pretty accurate, IMO.

I'm stuck in doing the same comparison myself.

Old 01-05-23, 07:47 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 577 Likes on 408 Posts

I would say if you are not carrying people in the back seat regularly and don't need the larger trunk, the NX is good.
The following users liked this post:
dklanecky1 (01-05-23)
Old 01-06-23, 10:30 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

The NX at least prior generation was much less roomy even in the front seat. Apples and oranges really. Drive both.
Old 01-07-23, 02:36 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
The NX at least prior generation was much less roomy even in the front seat. Apples and oranges really. Drive both.
THIS! The driver’s area is narrower. I’m not a big guy but feel cramped due to the NX’s high, wide center console. Also the RX ride is much better in my humble opinion.
Old 01-07-23, 11:00 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I started researching replacing my 2010 RX 350 a couple of years ago. I really liked the NX with the better gas mileage, but not impressed that it was not that much better than the RX going from a 6 to 4 cylinder. Over that period I got to drive 2 NXs as loaner cars. Loved the new technology inside and performance, but the driver area felt really cramped. I am a 6 foot big guy, so that was a deal breaker. Then I saw the early announcements for the 2023 RX and was sold on the RX 350h. Was able to get one in early December 2022. Feels like it has more room than the 2010 and the 4 cylinder/hybrid engine has exceeded my expectations in power. I went from 15 mpg to 30 to 45 mpg depending on the type of trip. I do a lot of short trips but highway mileage is great. So far very happy with the purchase. My only complaint is that the heavily advertised panoramic view monitor is not included in most of the early deliveries. I would have paid extra for that.
Old 01-07-23, 02:34 PM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dhill
I started researching replacing my 2010 RX 350 a couple of years ago. I really liked the NX with the better gas mileage, but not impressed that it was not that much better than the RX going from a 6 to 4 cylinder. Over that period I got to drive 2 NXs as loaner cars. Loved the new technology inside and performance, but the driver area felt really cramped. I am a 6 foot big guy, so that was a deal breaker. Then I saw the early announcements for the 2023 RX and was sold on the RX 350h. Was able to get one in early December 2022. Feels like it has more room than the 2010 and the 4 cylinder/hybrid engine has exceeded my expectations in power. I went from 15 mpg to 30 to 45 mpg depending on the type of trip. I do a lot of short trips but highway mileage is great. So far very happy with the purchase. My only complaint is that the heavily advertised panoramic view monitor is not included in most of the early deliveries. I would have paid extra for that.
Thanks for the feedback. I too was not enamoured with the previous generation NX. Like you I found it cramped. This new one is different. I've driven a couple so far and it fits me better. I'm 6', 221 and have no issues with the seating in the new generation NX. Still struggling to justify the $9K + tax difference between 2023 NX and RX, both 350H models.
Old 01-07-23, 03:38 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemu30
Agreed. The NX was tighter in both the front and rear seats - and especially in the luggage compartment. We switched from a 2013 RX to an NX and liked the smaller size for the most part. And the standard/hybrid seats are terrific. But steep mountain roads were a painful slog and the ride wasn’t as smooth or settled as the 2021 RX. We absolutely liked the NX so don’t misunderstand me, but they are very different vehicles. I’m glad we went back to the RX but my wife sometimes complains about the size and she isn’t as comfortable driving the RX. Both nice cars with perhaps a little different target audience.
Old 01-11-23, 05:15 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 495 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JasDmw
Hopefully this hasn't been discussed here yet, I did search but didn't find anything. Posted this same post in the NX forum and thought I'd post here as well.

We were the owners of a 2020 RX350 FSport, which was stolen Dec 21st while we were out of the country. Discovered it was gone when we arrived at the Park N Fly self park lot at Toronto Airport December 29th to collect the car and drive home. So we are shopping for a replacement and I'm looking for input from NX owners who switched to the RX. What's your impression, are you happy with the change, any regrets? We are changing models to the hybrid version. I don't want to pay the price for premium fuel as here in Canada it's a massive difference. We had a 2009 RX that needed premium and every time I pumped gas, I felt terrible. Since the drive trains are the same in both vehicles, I'm not sure why I'd want the RX over the NX. Dealer says they are focussed on different segments, NX sporty hot rod ish, RX luxo cruiser. Sounds like sales speak to me. So I need some assistance from those who switched, please.

We test drove both yesterday and the almost $10K difference is a bit hard to swallow. We really don't need all the space in the RX. The big issue is delivery. We are looking for the hybrid in the top Executive model here in Canada. Lead times for both are 6-9 months area right now. I will be forced to buy another car for the interim and the Toyota dealer attached to our Lexus dealer has a 2020 Rav4 Limited of interest.

On a side note, we test drove it yesterday too. It'll do, but the difference between the Rav and the NX/RX is astounding. Drove the Rav first and then the NX. Night and day difference from a NVH perspective. Unfortunately due to the lack of inventory there as well, a 2 year old is selling for essentially the same price as a brand new one!

Seems like you got it figured out, both great vehicles....Really bummer 'bout the theft of your vehicle. For a suv, I like the rx mid size vs a car......then I'd go w/ a compact size.
Old 01-12-23, 03:39 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

For what it's worth....

I've bene on the list for an NX 350h Luxury (I think that's the equivalent of your Executive) since August. And I wasn't even close to getting one. Turns out there were several RX 350h Luxury models coming in to choose from. I could have got one in 2 weeks, but it was missing just one thing I wanted to opted for one coming end of Feb. So I think on the topic of availability, the RX might give you more choices at the moment. Salesperson said the RX is the cash cow for Lexus and they are prioritizing getting them out.

I own a 16 RX 450h, and I test drove the 2023 NX 350h. Truth of the matter I'd have been very happy with the NX. My kids are grown, and I don't haul passengers or cargo that often. That said, the RX Luxury is downright comfortable and spacious both in the front and the back. The seats are better. The rear has heated and vented seats. There is a tad more cargo room too. The ride is quiet and smooth. Agreed it's a difficult $10k pill to swallow because I'm not sure I can defend every dollar in terms of added capability or luxury. MPG wise I seem to be going from 39 combined to 36. In the end, my budget allowed the step up, I get the car in a few weeks instead of unknown, I'm getting all the options I want and the color I want. The way the NX's are rolling out, I was going to be subject to whatever went to the dealer or just wait. I think there was a good probabiliy of having to make more concessions on the options.

It's really up to you of course. I don't regret a minute spent in my 16 RX, and I'm pretty sure after a few weeks in the new one any lingering memory of the NX will be gone.
Old 01-13-23, 06:20 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Louder
For what it's worth....

I've bene on the list for an NX 350h Luxury (I think that's the equivalent of your Executive) since August. And I wasn't even close to getting one. Turns out there were several RX 350h Luxury models coming in to choose from. I could have got one in 2 weeks, but it was missing just one thing I wanted to opted for one coming end of Feb. So I think on the topic of availability, the RX might give you more choices at the moment. Salesperson said the RX is the cash cow for Lexus and they are prioritizing getting them out.

I own a 16 RX 450h, and I test drove the 2023 NX 350h. Truth of the matter I'd have been very happy with the NX. My kids are grown, and I don't haul passengers or cargo that often. That said, the RX Luxury is downright comfortable and spacious both in the front and the back. The seats are better. The rear has heated and vented seats. There is a tad more cargo room too. The ride is quiet and smooth. Agreed it's a difficult $10k pill to swallow because I'm not sure I can defend every dollar in terms of added capability or luxury. MPG wise I seem to be going from 39 combined to 36. In the end, my budget allowed the step up, I get the car in a few weeks instead of unknown, I'm getting all the options I want and the color I want. The way the NX's are rolling out, I was going to be subject to whatever went to the dealer or just wait. I think there was a good probabiliy of having to make more concessions on the options.

It's really up to you of course. I don't regret a minute spent in my 16 RX, and I'm pretty sure after a few weeks in the new one any lingering memory of the NX will be gone.
Thanks much for the thoughtful rely.

In Canada we have a whole different setup in terms of models. We don't get the same choices you folks do. The Executive package is the top line (like the FSport 3). It includes heated and cooled rear seats, ML sound and other such goodies. It's the same between both NX and RX. So there is very little difference here between the 2 models. Gen 4 RX had the V6 which made the most difference. Now that the power trains are the same, the only major difference is the size. Like you we are empty nesters, never had kids, so the size is really moot. Wife never really liked driving the RX, thought it was too long, even though she did drive our Gen 3 a lot and there really wasn't much difference. So I'm leaning on the NX.

Having said that, in a conversation with the dealer yesterday, any Executive package (RX or NX) could be 8-10 months out! That's a problem. I'll be hearing from the insurance folks next week and will have to make a decision. Am looking at second hand Rav 4's for the interim. Not many of those around and the prices are insane. First world problem I realize, but getting your car stolen is a regal PITA. I suggest strongly anyone reading this should get better protection for their car. I hear there are some improvements in security for the 2023 models but they aren't spoken of too loudly to keep the thieves from developing work arounds. Buy a club, maybe an aftermarket immobilizer. The hassle and headaches are very well worth the price.

In that conversation with my insurance company yesterday (CAA here in Canada, the AAA equivalent), which isn't one of the biggest, they work on 16-18 stolen cars daily. That's insane and indicative of the problem. Manufacturers need to step up big time.
Old 01-13-23, 08:26 AM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In Canada we have a whole different setup in terms of models. We don't get the same choices you folks do. The Executive package is the top line (like the FSport 3). It includes heated and cooled rear seats, ML sound and other such goodies. It's the same between both NX and RX. So there is very little difference here between the 2 models. Gen 4 RX had the V6 which made the most difference. Now that the power trains are the same, the only major difference is the size. Like you we are empty nesters, never had kids, so the size is really moot. Wife never really liked driving the RX, thought it was too long, even though she did drive our Gen 3 a lot and there really wasn't much difference. So I'm leaning on the NX.

Having said that, in a conversation with the dealer yesterday, any Executive package (RX or NX) could be 8-10 months out! That's a problem. I'll be hearing from the insurance folks next week and will have to make a decision. Am looking at second hand Rav 4's for the interim. Not many of those around and the prices are insane. First world problem I realize, but getting your car stolen is a regal PITA. I suggest strongly anyone reading this should get better protection for their car. I hear there are some improvements in security for the 2023 models but they aren't spoken of too loudly to keep the thieves from developing work arounds. Buy a club, maybe an aftermarket immobilizer. The hassle and headaches are very well worth the price.

In that conversation with my insurance company yesterday (CAA here in Canada, the AAA equivalent), which isn't one of the biggest, they work on 16-18 stolen cars daily. That's insane and indicative of the problem. Manufacturers need to step up big time.
When we put our order in at the dealer last weekend, he said anything that has the ML speakers is going to be a longer wait and even more unpredictable. We were told 6 months for a 350h Ultra Luxury.

Last edited by MrBiebs; 01-13-23 at 08:26 AM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (01-13-23)
Old 01-13-23, 10:36 AM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe one thing to consider....

At the dealership I'm working with, the salesman also described people who are in your situation - need something now and 8-9 months isn't going to work. He said they were offering them flexible lease deals - lease a car for 12 months while you wait for the one to come in. I think they were offering good deals - a way to keep a customer. Maybe that might be an option for you rather than having to buy something just to trade it soon.
Old 01-13-23, 10:42 AM
JasDmw
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1Louder
Maybe one thing to consider....

At the dealership I'm working with, the salesman also described people who are in your situation - need something now and 8-9 months isn't going to work. He said they were offering them flexible lease deals - lease a car for 12 months while you wait for the one to come in. I think they were offering good deals - a way to keep a customer. Maybe that might be an option for you rather than having to buy something just to trade it soon.
I was hoping they might offer to do that, but they didn't offer anything when I asked. Issue might be availability of anything! Cost wise it's likely a wash. If I buy the right Rav4 and the market continues as it is, I may not loose much. With a lease, I would likely loose more. Just a guess though and a moot point as they aren't offering anything. Considered another dealership, but these folks have been going through hoops for me and I'd feel awkward bailing on them then having to look them in the eye when I bring a car purchased elsewhere in for service. Their help has been worth $$ to me.
Old 01-13-23, 11:41 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

"Manufacturers need to step up big time."

Or maybe, the police and the courts.