RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

New RX owners - some questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-23, 11:41 PM
Bpans
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RX owners - some questions and concerns

I recently had a loaner 2023 NX450h for few days. I think the all new RX shares a lot of interior bits (including infotainment system) with the NX. I found some issues that I am afraid it may also be in RX. Can the new RX owners verify these?

1) Infotainment system is pointing in a direction that most of the screen was simply reflecting the rear windshield. This looks like a very poor design.
2) The phone charging cradle was super annoying. It doesn't charge the phone continuously. As I was driving my iPhone was moving a little and it kept disconnecting and connecting the charging continuously, making the "ding" sound often.
3) I was listening to Spotify and I got an incoming call and I accepted it. The spotify audio didn't get disconnected automatically. I was hearing the caller and the song from Spotify at the same time. This doesn't make sense.
4) The GPS was showing "I need to have subscription to use it". Is that the case? Do I have to pay subscription to use GPS?
5) Do I need to connect my phone via USB to get apple CarPlay? Looks like there is no wireless CarPlay.

Can someone review this and share your experience in RX?

Thanks
Old 01-08-23, 01:43 AM
JacobsDad
Pit Crew

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

First World Problems

Yes, NX and RX........... same instrumentation layout.....same seats, same steering wheel, same foot pedals, cup holders, transmission gear selector. Same center armrest/storage cubby. Ah...and alas, same infotainment system/location/position.

I often find myself hovering my hand in front of the infotainment screen to block the rear window reflection so I can more-easily view the content on the screen.

You're correct in your observation....poor design.

The phone cradle.......yep, same thing. I was having to place a finger on my phone to keep it from moving in the cradle. I bought a sticky phone case and leave the back half of the case in the cradle to keep the phone from moving around. Problem solved.

The Spotify issue. Same. Mine is setup to mute audio when a call is accepted/initiated, but sometimes the audio keeps playing. You can't just turn down the music audio because doing this also turns down the phone call audio.......frustrating. I think the audio issue has something to do with surrounding terrain and/or tall buildings. Sometimes inside parking structures. It's not just Spotify, it's any audio source you're listening to. It's kinda embarrassing when a client calls inquiring about their diaper supplies and we're both listening to Suicidal Tendencies for a bit. 😅 Now, I manually mute the audio before accepting any calls.

I use GPS every day and I'm not paying a subscription to use the feature.........atleast, I don't think I am. Maybe the dealership initiated the subscription. Maybe it's like any other app where you gotta subscribe to it to enable it.

You don't need USB to connect apple carplay......the infotainment system has wifi and Bluetooth. Takes some time to properly set it up because there's so many functions, but once it's setup, connectivity is automated...... If you choose. The wifi is a paid subscription.

Last edited by JacobsDad; 01-08-23 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-08-23, 05:26 AM
Dhill
Pit Crew

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the 2023 RX 350h. Here is what I can tell you:

1) I have not had a problem with the rear window reflection on the 14 inch screen in the RX. Hope others with the 2023 RX will chime in on their experience.
2) I do not use the wireless charger much, but when I have used it the phone seems to stay in place. I think it was redesigned for the 2023 RX and it now at an angle. See the screenshots below and let me know if this is a different design.
3) I don't use Spotify, so no input on that issue.
4) The 2023 RX with the 14 inch screen comes with a 3 year trial for Drive Connect with Cloud Navigation. After that it is priced at $16 per month. The maps are continuously updated. Think of the cost of the yearly updates that Lexus charges for the older navigation system.
5) CarPlay is wireless. Once you set up the Lexus Infotainment system, you should be able to set up wireless CarPlay. It works in my RX.

The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (01-08-23)
Old 01-08-23, 06:25 AM
DenBar
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

, I have had the same experience as you with my RX350. I think an Apple video was made regarding the NX350 Apple CarPlay app and it worked flawlessly. They also mentioned the problem with the iPhone moving on the wireless charger and they reported it to Lexus at that time. Supposedly, Lexus said the problem had to do with the new 3 lenses camera on the phone and that they could easily correct the issue. I use a IPhone 13 Pro and it does not move and stays connected.
Old 01-08-23, 04:43 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,132 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Dhill
I have the 2023 RX 350h. Here is what I can tell you:

1) I have not had a problem with the rear window reflection on the 14 inch screen in the RX. Hope others with the 2023 RX will chime in on their experience.
2) I do not use the wireless charger much, but when I have used it the phone seems to stay in place. I think it was redesigned for the 2023 RX and it now at an angle. See the screenshots below and let me know if this is a different design.
3) I don't use Spotify, so no input on that issue.
4) The 2023 RX with the 14 inch screen comes with a 3 year trial for Drive Connect with Cloud Navigation. After that it is priced at $16 per month. The maps are continuously updated. Think of the cost of the yearly updates that Lexus charges for the older navigation system.
5) CarPlay is wireless. Once you set up the Lexus Infotainment system, you should be able to set up wireless CarPlay. It works in my RX.

Three weeks with 2023 NX 350h. Never had any issues with our two Samsung phones moving on wireless charger. We have silicone cases which probably helps. Neither of us have had any problems with reflection in the 14 inch screen.
Old 01-09-23, 08:59 AM
Bpans
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. From the pictures above, I do see that Lexus changed the orientation of the phone placement in the charger. Not sure that may have improved it a little better. I also understand the phone movement could also depend on the phone case and size. I do have a smooth phone case and I don't have iPhone max.

Old 01-19-23, 11:03 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

I never noticed any rear window reflection on the 14" screen in the 350h we demoed. Not sure if it will be an issue on the smaller screen.
Old 01-19-23, 02:19 PM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

RX 350h owner and here are my observations:

1) Yes, but I increased the brightness to counter it. Not the best solution but it does the job for me.
2) My phone stays stuck on the qi charging pad and I have not had dinging issues. Although, too many dings from eye tracking device and safety features. But topic for a different day I suppose.
3) This has not happened to me yet.
4) 2023 RX (14" screen) comes with 3 year subscription and after that I believe it is $16 per month.
5) 2023 RX has wireless carplay.
Old 01-21-23, 02:44 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Just ordered my RX350h Prem Plus. Question about the HUD. Wearing my Maui Jim sunglasses in bright sunlight, I could barely see the HUD. Without my sunglasses could see it fine. HUD set to full bright. Are there sunglasses that allow you to see the HUD? Thanks.
Old 01-21-23, 02:47 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

If your glasses are polarized, you will have an issue with any projected HUD. Go with a tinted non-polarized sunglass.
krafty81 (01-28-23)
Old 01-21-23, 04:11 PM
HeyThere
Rookie

Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have an iPhone with Apple Navigation and CarPlay, why would you need to pay Lexus for a subscription?
Old 01-21-23, 04:17 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeyThere
If you have an iPhone with Apple Navigation and CarPlay, why would you need to pay Lexus for a subscription?
I read on a few sites you can mirror your phone. Miracast?
Old 01-25-23, 07:26 AM
Den49
Rookie

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw the 2023 Lexus RX 500h at the Washington, DC Auto Show yesterday. There were some things about it that were disappointing to me, such as: the F Sport seats were not as comfortable to me as the seats in the Venza and Highlander at the show. Maybe the non-F Sport seats are better, but there was only the F Sport at the show. The roof mount sunglass holder seemed small and cheap. The cargo area is small and when the second row seats are folded down the cargo floor is not flat and at enough of an angle that it reduces utility. Overall, I was not as comfortable in the RX as the Venza or Highlander. I still plan to test drive a 350h Premium+, but my enthusiasm has lessened, and I am in more of a buyer beware posture.
Klamalama (01-27-23)
Old 01-25-23, 07:58 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Den49
I saw the 2023 Lexus RX 500h at the Washington, DC Auto Show yesterday. There were some things about it that were disappointing to me, such as: the F Sport seats were not as comfortable to me as the seats in the Venza and Highlander at the show. Maybe the non-F Sport seats are better, but there was only the F Sport at the show. The roof mount sunglass holder seemed small and cheap. The cargo area is small and when the second row seats are folded down the cargo floor is not flat and at enough of an angle that it reduces utility. Overall, I was not as comfortable in the RX as the Venza or Highlander. I still plan to test drive a 350h Premium+, but my enthusiasm has lessened, and I am in more of a buyer beware posture.
I am sorry to hear. We love our 500h! Our F Sport seats hugs our bodies just right. I hope you find your next vehicle will suit most of your needs.
Old 01-25-23, 08:26 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by Den49
If it's cargo room you desire, the RX is probably not the vehicle for you. FSport seats - subjective to a degree but they are certainly bolstered way tighter than the regular seats. I love them in my ES but the RX ones at least in the prior gen were unbearable.

Quick Reply: New RX owners - some questions and concerns