RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2 Inch trailer hitch questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-24, 02:07 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paperthin
Coincidently I reached out to rackattack yesterday to understand pricing and lead time for the Torklift mentioned earlier in this thread and the other thread in this forum. It is a two week turnaround because they do not stock it and it is $1050 CAD plus tax (not installed). Take a look and investigate if it is what you want.
is it hidden hitch though? I don’t see it on rackattack website
Old 03-12-24, 02:09 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
is it hidden hitch though? I don’t see it on rackattack website
Torklift and HiddenHitch are two different companies.

The TorkLift EcoHitch for the 5th-gen RX does let you remove the 2" receiver, so you can have a "stealth" look when not towing.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2023-lex...-trailer-hitch
Old 03-12-24, 02:20 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
Torklift and HiddenHitch are two different companies.

The TorkLift EcoHitch for the 5th-gen RX does let you remove the 2" receiver, so you can have a "stealth" look when not towing.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2023-lex...-trailer-hitch
That’s what I want! only $500 USD on torklift website. How did it become $1050 on rackattack? Not installed for that price? Who can install this and for how much?
Old 03-12-24, 02:28 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

That’s what I want! only $500 USD on torklift website. How did it become $1050 on rackattack? Not installed for that price? Who can install this and for how much?
I installed mine myself.

If you have a local mechanic you trust then they should be able to install it for an hour or two of labor. It's not too hard. The bumper doesn't have to come off, unlike some other hitch options.
Old 03-12-24, 02:46 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts

I struggled installing Torklift ecohitch on my previous Rav4 (similar design configuration to the RX500h) I just didn't have a second set of hands to hold the hitch in place for me to bolt in the hitch. Drove five down to a Toyota/Lexus shop and they charged me $90 for labor which I'm sure took them 30minutes from putting the car on the lift, installing the hitch, and down on the lift. Quick job!
Old 03-12-24, 02:54 PM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I installed mine myself.

If you have a local mechanic you trust then they should be able to install it for an hour or two of labor. It's not too hard. The bumper doesn't have to come off, unlike some other hitch options.
Was the install on a Gen 5 RX350?
What did you use for the wiring harness?
Old 03-12-24, 02:57 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Markfm
Was the install on a Gen 5 RX350?
What did you use for the wiring harness?
I have a RX500h

I used the genuine Lexus tow converter (PT725-48232). That required removing some interior trim to install, but I like that it's "official" and everything bolts up and plugs into factory brackets and harnesses.
Old 03-12-24, 03:11 PM
Markfm
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a RX500h

I used the genuine Lexus tow converter (PT725-48232). That required removing some interior trim to install, but I like that it's "official" and everything bolts up and plugs into factory brackets and harnesses.
Thanks for the part number - makes it easier to hunt things down!
Old 03-12-24, 03:36 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

I have a RX500h

what is “tow converter”? Is it only needed if you want to install wiring harness?
Old 03-12-24, 03:37 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

I installed mine myself.

bumper stayed on? Is it that easy?
Old 03-12-24, 03:43 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

what is “tow converter”? Is it only needed if you want to install wiring harness?
Yes, it is only needed if you want a 4-pin tow harness for a trailer or accessory.

If you're just carrying a bike rack and don't want any lighting then you can skip it.

bumper stayed on? Is it that easy?
Yes, bumper can stay on during installation. The instructions recommend two people for installation, but I installed it by myself. I'm relatively strong, though, and I have experience installing hitches on other vehicles.

I've attached the installation instructions to this post so you can review them and decide if it's within your comfort zone.
Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by CommodoreAmiga:
2023RX350PP (03-12-24), IS3Fguy (03-12-24), Julius071 (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 03:48 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wasn't going to post but I saw that you were from Ontario (assuming Canada). 1050CAD is from rack attack, one of the few Canadian retailers that carry the torklift. There are other retailers by looking at the torklift website. I cannot justify the high pricing either, perhaps exchange, duties, and markup, it isn't something I can change so I don't ask. You are correct that it is not on the Rack attack website, which is why I specifically inquired about it. I didn't ask for installation because I know I would do my own, they happened to mention another $350 for installation despite me not asking. There was no electrical discussions, I didn't ask, but for my vehicle I know what I need.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-24, 01:28 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by paperthin
I wasn't going to post but I saw that you were from Ontario (assuming Canada). 1050CAD is from rack attack, one of the few Canadian retailers that carry the torklift. There are other retailers by looking at the torklift website. I cannot justify the high pricing either, perhaps exchange, duties, and markup, it isn't something I can change so I don't ask. You are correct that it is not on the Rack attack website, which is why I specifically inquired about it. I didn't ask for installation because I know I would do my own, they happened to mention another $350 for installation despite me not asking. There was no electrical discussions, I didn't ask, but for my vehicle I know what I need.

Good luck.
maybe worth it to cross border shopping and have it US dealer to install it?
Old 03-19-24, 12:07 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Anyone knows good place in Buffalo or Niagara falls, NY who can install torklift ecohitch on RX350?
Old 03-23-24, 10:39 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,133 Likes on 733 Posts
Default Curt bike rack 2 inch hitch

I had one on my 2017 Lexus RX 450h that I bought and my local Lexus dealer installed for about $200. I got one on sale for $240. My dealer Friday quoted me $600 to install. Has anyone got a Curt or other brand and what did someone charge for installing. $600 seems absurd for something that seems like less than an hour to install. No electric wiring just for two bikes.
Thanks for any help.

Quick Reply: 2 Inch trailer hitch questions