RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

2 Inch trailer hitch questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-24, 01:54 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by vincentdjh
Hi all - thanks for the great info on this thread.
I use a hitch only for bike racks in the summer time, and my last car had a cheap rusty one - so did not want that the my new 350h

I bought the Torlkift Stainless EcoHitch Part X6062S ($525) and it arrived after about 6 weeks of placing order.

I had installed a hitch previously on my old Acura and had to remove and trim a heat shield...so I did have a tiny bit of experience - but was still nervous, and the instructions that came in box were terribly printed (there is a good PDF of them on this thread btw)

However when I (with a helper - this thing is pretty heavy/sturdy) finally got up and under it was pretty smooth sailing. It takes some wriggling to get into position (I also did not remove kick sensor) but once it is in place, it neatly bolts into existing holes in the frame.
Without receiver it is invisibly flush with bottom of bumper, and receiver easy to add/remove as needed.

I am actually not sure if my kick sensor works with the hitch in place. The kick sensor appears to be aimed directly down the tube that accepts the receiver - and when receiver is not there I am getting "beeps" with my foot, but no opening of door. (I may have inadvertanly disabled it - havent had time to look into it)

Regardless, I am extremely happy with this product, and a moderately handy person (ie. raise car a bit, get down under, hoist hitch bar into place and wrench it into position) can manage in an afternoon.

with receiver in, from back

with receiver in, from below
So your kick sensor doesn't work anymore but it beeps? This guy says his still works. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11718989
Old 06-02-24, 11:22 AM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Received 225 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I have had a hitch on my last two RX's and current 2024 RX 350h. All three have been Curt. I just had my Lexus dealership install it $180 and I bought it on line for $220. I was concerned with the looks of it. Did not want it sticking out or looking to obvious. Very pleased. Bike rack holds two bikes. Does not interfere with the kick sensor.
I tried to send you a PM regarding your Curt hitch for your 2024 RX350h but, it appears that you have disabled this in your profile. In any event, did you purchase the Curt 13579 ? I recently took delivery on one but, I am having difficulty with the installation. It seems that there is insufficient clearance between the bottom of the bumper cover and the crossbar. Mine is the RX450h+ but, the drivetrain and body configuration is the same as the RX350h model. If so, I may have to return it and go with a Draw-Tite 76635.

Last edited by StefanoS; 06-02-24 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-02-24, 01:59 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,157 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I tried to send you a PM regarding your Curt hitch for your 2024 RX350h but, it appears that you have disabled this in your profile. In any event, did you purchase the Curt 13579 ? I recently took delivery on one but, I am having difficulty with the installation. It seems that there is insufficient clearance between the bottom of the bumper cover and the crossbar. Mine is the RX450h+ but, the drivetrain and body configuration is the same as the RX350h model. If so, I may have to return it and go with a Draw-Tite 76635.
This is mine. I had the dealership install with no problems. When I looked on Curts site the 450h+ was not listed.

Old 06-02-24, 02:10 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Freds430
This is mine. I had the dealership install with no problems. When I looked on Curts site the 450h+ was not listed.
I realized that but, many of these aftermarket manufacturers do not really go thru the process of checking all the various models within in each grouping.
When I purchased one for my wife's NX450h+ there was also nothing listed but, the one for the NX350 or NX350h fit just fine. This time I found that there really is insufficient clearance at the bottom edge of the bumper cover. The bumper cover on your RX and my RX are the same so, I'm scratching my head over this one.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-02-24, 02:58 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StefanoS
I realized that but, many of these aftermarket manufacturers do not really go thru the process of checking all the various models within in each grouping.
When I purchased one for my wife's NX450h+ there was also nothing listed but, the one for the NX350 or NX350h fit just fine. This time I found that there really is insufficient clearance at the bottom edge of the bumper cover. The bumper cover on your RX and my RX are the same so, I'm scratching my head over this one.
Thanks for the reply.
Dealer and I know the shop foreman said they had no problems. Thought I lost my kick sensor ability but they turned it off while installing.
Old 06-03-24, 02:55 PM
vincentdjh
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Update - kick sensor IS working with the hitch.
I use it so infrequently I had to re-learn its function!

Last edited by vincentdjh; 06-03-24 at 04:07 PM.
Old 06-03-24, 03:37 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascho
Anyone have experience with a U-Haul hitch? They seem to be inexpensive (including installation)
They use the Curt hitch. I had it installed it on my 2024 RX and my kick sensor works with a slight adjustment of kicking angle.
The following users liked this post:
Ascho (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 04:50 PM
Ascho
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bschatzow
They use the Curt hitch. I had it installed it on my 2024 RX and my kick sensor works with a slight adjustment of kicking angle.
Did they need to make any alterations to your bumper? Were you happy with the appearance?
Old 06-03-24, 05:26 PM
bschatzow
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No mods to bumper. Looks fine to me.
I believe on the Curt site or YouTube there are pictures.
Ascho (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 05:29 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ascho
Did they need to make any alterations to your bumper? Were you happy with the appearance?
Pics of it on thread 238. Very pleased with it doesn't stick out hardly notice it. They didn't have to do any alterations.
Ascho (06-03-24)
Old 06-04-24, 01:50 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I am happy with the Curt. I installed mine about a month ago. Seemless and clean.
Old 06-28-24, 02:03 AM
Hsv
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Picked up a new 350 this week. Because I used Costco it was in a different city. went to the local dealer to discuss trailer hitches. WOW. The parts manager spent abut 15 minutes on computer figuring this part out and it can't be correct. Obviously needs the tow package. For the factory hitch he says the computers is telling him the "activity hitch" is a prereq. Wondering how Lexus expects two hitches to be on the same car. He also said it has a requirement for a shorter cable for kick sensor which makes sense. Also a new rear bumper fascia with a notch. I went to Lexus website and their pictures show a hitch with no notch. Any comments on this mess? Has anyone had the Lexus hitch installed without requiring a notch? Picture is from Lexus website

Old 06-28-24, 02:49 AM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Hsv
Picked up a new 350 this week. Because I used Costco it was in a different city. went to the local dealer to discuss trailer hitches. WOW. The parts manager spent abut 15 minutes on computer figuring this part out and it can't be correct. Obviously needs the tow package. For the factory hitch he says the computers is telling him the "activity hitch" is a prereq. Wondering how Lexus expects two hitches to be on the same car. He also said it has a requirement for a shorter cable for kick sensor which makes sense. Also a new rear bumper fascia with a notch. I went to Lexus website and their pictures show a hitch with no notch. Any comments on this mess? Has anyone had the Lexus hitch installed without requiring a notch? Picture is from Lexus website
the activity mount is not rated for towing — only a bike rack or similar light-duty accessory. Don’t buy it.

i believe the Lexus hitch does require some trimming of the fascia. The Torklift hitch is easier to install, requires no cutting, and is stainless steel. Unless you are only considering OEM, I’d recommend getting the Torklift, instead. No changes to the kick sensor or wiring are required, either.
Julius071 (06-28-24)
Old 06-28-24, 10:20 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

All hitches other than the SS Torklift rust in no time flat.
BLUKTY2 (06-29-24)
Old 06-28-24, 12:00 PM
StefanoS
Intermediate

I second the recommendation for the Torklift Ecohitch. It is comprised of four separate pieces, the largest being the crossbar. It is fairly easy to install, despite the very tight working area under the bumper cover. Very well constructed and without the final fourth piece mounted in place, the receiver, you would never know it was there. It is a truly a stealth hitch and has no interference with the kick sensor.

IMO, the Lexus dealer hitch is a bit of a PITA to install, as the rear bumper cover must be removed, along with other components. Not exactly very convenient.

Last edited by StefanoS; 06-29-24 at 11:20 AM.
BLUKTY2 (06-29-24)

Quick Reply: 2 Inch trailer hitch questions