RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Are Factory Orders from Lexus a thing in Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 12:37 PM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Are Factory Orders from Lexus a thing in Canada?

Are Factory Orders from Lexus a thing in Canada?

I put a deposit on a 2023 RX 350h - Ultra Luxury recently (submitted via the Lexus.ca website if that matters). The sales guy I met said they would put in our order, and let us know when it starts getting built, at which point the deposit would become non-refundable.

The dealership literally says "FACTORY ORDER" in giant bold letters on their website https://www.birchwoodlexus.ca/vehicl...uxury/BLFO071/

Details include "Factory Order - This vehicle needs to be ordered from the manufacturer and can be customized to your liking." and "Factory order may be required."

BUT I've read in a few thread on here and elsewhere, that there is no such thing as a Factory Order from Lexus/Toyota and it is allocation based and might just be luck of the draw.

Is my dealer just full of it? Is it different in Canada? Is the 6 months just guess etc.
Old 01-16-23, 03:15 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I work in sales at a Lexus dealership in Ontario. We can place sold orders in our system that goes to Lexus Canada for a specific package and color combination. There is no way we can customize the packages or get different colors than what Lexus offers on that specific model/package. Twice a month typically, Lexus will allocate a certain number of vehicles to our dealership. Some of those vehicles will be directly segmented to our sold orders and some will be stock units (mostly gas models). We can offer the stock units to guests that have similar vehicles on order. This is how we go about it at the dealership I work at.

Other dealers might not submit sold orders and instead just have a list of people who want a specific model and package. When they get allocation from Lexus, they than start going through the list and offering vehicles to those first in line. This method is in a way, easier for the dealership to manage and can make it shorter wait time for the customer (if they are flexible on color). With factory ordering, it is a complete guess on when Lexus will fulfill that order. I have some guests that have ordered an NXh back in April and still waiting, where as some who ordered in the summer months have already picked up their new NXh.

For wait times, we judge it based off how many orders we have in the system vs the typical amount of allocation/sold orders we receive per month from Lexus. But it is honestly just a complete guess. Most dealers will tell you an earlier ETA to get the sale, so just be prepared to wait longer.
The following 3 users liked this post by heffnerlex:
dklanecky1 (01-18-23), FMY421 (01-16-23), SaraLvsLxs (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 03:31 PM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
I work in sales at a Lexus dealership in Ontario. We can place sold orders in our system that goes to Lexus Canada for a specific package and color combination. There is no way we can customize the packages or get different colors than what Lexus offers on that specific model/package. Twice a month typically, Lexus will allocate a certain number of vehicles to our dealership. Some of those vehicles will be directly segmented to our sold orders and some will be stock units (mostly gas models). We can offer the stock units to guests that have similar vehicles on order. This is how we go about it at the dealership I work at.

Other dealers might not submit sold orders and instead just have a list of people who want a specific model and package. When they get allocation from Lexus, they than start going through the list and offering vehicles to those first in line. This method is in a way, easier for the dealership to manage and can make it shorter wait time for the customer (if they are flexible on color). With factory ordering, it is a complete guess on when Lexus will fulfill that order. I have some guests that have ordered an NXh back in April and still waiting, where as some who ordered in the summer months have already picked up their new NXh.

For wait times, we judge it based off how many orders we have in the system vs the typical amount of allocation/sold orders we receive per month from Lexus. But it is honestly just a complete guess. Most dealers will tell you an earlier ETA to get the sale, so just be prepared to wait longer.
Thanks this is super helpful. We weren't looking for any customization by the factory. We want, extra snow tires, the roof rails and a 2" trailer hitch but those are all dealer installed so I assume they don't impact the order going to the factory and none of them need to be there day-one.

My wife wanted a Nebula grey 350h, Palomino interior with the aforementioned Ultra Luxury trim. What kind of times have you been seeing for those? Is 6 month plausible?
Old 01-16-23, 04:56 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Wait times can vary by dealer depending on many different factors, but we are typically all around the same-ish. For the Ultra Luxury pkg, I would be telling potential customers 12 months approximately. If the dealer is doing factory orders, it is going to be a minimum 3 months wait from the time the order is submitted and that quick of a time would only be possible if the order got fulfilled (go into production) within 2-4 weeks. Most likely, the dealership has many RXh orders still pending fulfillment in their system and Lexus will try to focus on filling the older first, so while 6 months is plausible, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
The following 3 users liked this post by heffnerlex:
dklanecky1 (01-18-23), FMY421 (01-16-23), MrBiebs (01-16-23)
Old 01-16-23, 07:09 PM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
Wait times can vary by dealer depending on many different factors, but we are typically all around the same-ish. For the Ultra Luxury pkg, I would be telling potential customers 12 months approximately. If the dealer is doing factory orders, it is going to be a minimum 3 months wait from the time the order is submitted and that quick of a time would only be possible if the order got fulfilled (go into production) within 2-4 weeks. Most likely, the dealership has many RXh orders still pending fulfillment in their system and Lexus will try to focus on filling the older first, so while 6 months is plausible, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
That makes sense, thanks for the extra details, I really do appreciate it. It looks like I might be getting a 2024 lol.
Old 01-16-23, 11:49 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I was given an estimated date range between 5-8 months for an Ultra Luxury 350h for an Iridium with black interior at a local dealer here in Vancouver.

crossing our fingers hoping it comes earlier for both of us.
Old 01-17-23, 01:46 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
I was given an estimated date range between 5-8 months for an Ultra Luxury 350h for an Iridium with black interior at a local dealer here in Vancouver.

crossing our fingers hoping it comes earlier for both of us.
My new RX350h Luxury is that color combination. The interior is officially “Peppercorn”, but the average guy recognizes it as basically black. I think mine will look even better when the body side moldings arrive.

I’m curious, what does the ULTRA have that my “mere” LUXURY does not? And for the cars sold in American dollars, how much is the ultra over my $65755 almost maxed lux?
Old 01-17-23, 06:21 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
My new RX350h Luxury is that color combination. The interior is officially “Peppercorn”, but the average guy recognizes it as basically black. I think mine will look even better when the body side moldings arrive.

I’m curious, what does the ULTRA have that my “mere” LUXURY does not? And for the cars sold in American dollars, how much is the ultra over my $65755 almost maxed lux?
In Canada the RX350h is divided into 4 packages: Premium (standard), Luxury, Ultra Luxury and Executive. The packages are bundled up together here in Canada and is a little different from the American versions.

The prices don’t include Freight, PDI and extra cost for some colors.
  • RX 350h Premium $60,150
  • RX 350h Luxury $67,350
  • RX 350h Ultra Luxury $71,150
  • RX 350h Executive $75,650

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 01-17-23 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-18-23, 11:54 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 394 Likes on 268 Posts

My dealer says no factory orders - I've been on the waiting list since October. The problem he says, is that all the light colored interior cars (I want Macadamia) are being mostly sent to the west coast and sunbelt states, not to the Northeast. So its going to be a longer wait for me, and this is not even for the 350h, just the 350.
Old 01-18-23, 08:44 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
In Canada the RX350h is divided into 4 packages: Premium (standard), Luxury, Ultra Luxury and Executive. The packages are bundled up together here in Canada and is a little different from the American versions.

The prices don’t include Freight, PDI and extra cost for some colors.
  • RX 350h Premium $60,150
  • RX 350h Luxury $67,350
  • RX 350h Ultra Luxury $71,150
  • RX 350h Executive $75,650

So, if I want 4 way lumbar support, in Canada, I have to pay $15,000? I thought Mercedes nitpicked.
Old 01-18-23, 10:46 PM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
So, if I want 4 way lumbar support, in Canada, I have to pay $15,000? I thought Mercedes nitpicked.
Yeah pretty much. I would really like to have the 1500w inverter but I'm not willing to go up a trim level for it.
Old 01-19-23, 04:43 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by MrBiebs
Yeah pretty much. I would really like to have the 1500w inverter but I'm not willing to go up a trim level for it.
And I do have the 1500w inverter and probably will never, ever use it!
Old 01-19-23, 06:42 AM
MrBiebs
Rookie

Originally Posted by daryll40
And I do have the 1500w inverter and probably will never, ever use it!
We do a lot of camping, cycling trips, that sort of thing. Our current car has an inverter, we don't use it all the time but it sure comes in handy. In our current car, it needs to be running, but I assume it actually runs off the Hybrid battery in the 350h like it does on other Toyota models, that would be even better.
The following users liked this post:
daryll40 (01-19-23)
Old 01-19-23, 10:41 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 279 Likes on 199 Posts

Roof rails? You mean the cross bars I think? Roof rails are standard according to my dealer.