RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-23, 06:47 PM
Bulldog50
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually it IS only Bluetooth that is required. See this Lexus factory video
HOWEVER the Lexus App must be running, and mine probably wasn't so that may have been my problem.
Old 06-07-23, 06:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldog50
Well, if that is the case, and I'm assuming you got that off Lexus documentation, then the damn thing is virtually useless. I won't use it again. I was in the mall's garage so that is why it probably did not work. GPS probably does not work in a covered multi level concrete garage. Too many conditions for this to be considered remotely reliable. Having said this, why GPS should be required to start or unlock the damn car I am sure I don't know. It should work like the remote for my TV. Not be dependant on the entire technology of the western world. Jeesh!

I live in a condo with an underground garage. My cell phone works fine in the garage as does the Digital Key. SiriusXM does not work in the garage. Despite the info quoted in the manual stating the cell phone coverage is required, I don’t think it directly affects Digital Key operation. I think it’s for downloading and updating the software intermittently, as needed, but not for the day to day operation. I’m guessing that there was a software update today that caused your outage.

I agree that the glitchyness and lack of clarity from Lexus support really has fallen short. As has the way Lexus is handling the delay in getting out the second FOBs. But I wouldn’t throw out the baby with the bath water. Particularly as we are still coming out of a crazy post-pandemic time of supply chain issues everywhere. Lexus is still the highest rated highest value luxury vehicle. And this new RX has been pretty issue free, and amazing, for a totally new product.

Last edited by daryll40; 06-07-23 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 07:03 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

HOWEVER the Lexus App must be running, and mine probably wasn't so that may have been my problem.
BINGO. It was definitely that. And here’s a heads up: sometimes it works with the app running in the background and sometimes I have to bring the app to the forefront. And sometimes it doesn’t catch the signal if the phone isn’t near the door (such as when in my back pocket). And there’s a setting in the app to increase or decrease sensitivity of the signal. But the setting adjustment doesn’t work. And some owners have a “beep horn” option (when you “lose” your car in a parking lot) in the app and some don’t and all of the posts here have failed to tease out why some do and some don’t. And these issues are months old with Lexus not listening. Digital Key and the app are glitchy and don’t work passively, like the 1999 vintage FOB technology. Oh and the “close and lock” rear hatch button doesn’t work with the Digital Key.

I still like not carrying an extra device, but Lexus should probably refund the $350 option cost and keep working on it. I’m told that they pay attention to this forum, but it seems they are deaf on these issues that are just software issues that should be easily fixable.

Last edited by daryll40; 06-07-23 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 07:07 PM
Bulldog50
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the option was like $350 and you are correct. I know for a fact the app has not been opened many times and the DK has worked. But tonight, my wife told me she opened tha app when we were stuck, and then all of a sudden the DK worked. BTW, the dealer was only able to give me one key FOB at purchase. They said I would get the second one in about a month. They said it was because of the chip shortage, so we only have 1 physical key.
Old 06-07-23, 07:11 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yeah, the option was like $350 and you are correct. I know for a fact the app has not been opened many times and the DK has worked. But tonight, my wife told me she opened tha app when we were stuck, and then all of a sudden the DK worked. BTW, the dealer was only able to give me one key FOB at purchase. They said I would get the second one in about a month. They said it was because of the chip shortage, so we only have 1 physical key.
Everyone only has one FOB. This has been that way since the launch last November. It’s an ongoing annoyance to all, some more than others. Reread my last post. I edited and updated it as you were posting this. There are a number of glitches that I outlined that you should be aware of.

Last edited by daryll40; 06-07-23 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-23, 07:23 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

One more thing: a friend just bought a new BMW M2 coupe. They can’t get his Digital Key (or whatever BMW calls it) to work either. And BMW has basically washed their hands of it. At least for now.

We are living through a period of disruption. Hopefully things will improve and these new vehicle glitches will eventually get the attention that we owners deserve.
Old 06-07-23, 07:40 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 257 Likes on 168 Posts

It took me over a month to get the digital key to work. Because of all the glitches and forum complains I refuse to use it. I agree, Lexus should refund everyone who got charged for this option since it will probably never become a reliable tool.
Old 06-07-23, 07:47 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jahnjva
It took me over a month to get the digital key to work. Because of all the glitches and forum complains I refuse to use it. I agree, Lexus should refund everyone who got charged for this option since it will probably never become a reliable tool.
You might be cutting your nose to spite your face. It basically works. Agreed, I wouldn’t go out of town without the FOB. But if you train yourself to use it, the glitches are minor and the Digital Key becomes automatic. I suggest you commit to using it for a week and see.
Old 06-07-23, 07:56 PM
Bulldog50
Driver School Candidate

I have been using it for about a week. Now that I know the Lexusapp must be running, either in the foreground or the background, I feel a little bit better about relying on it. My app was definitely closed, and that was PROBABLY the issue. Thanks for replying.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 01:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 500 Likes on 379 Posts

I would never depend on the digital key to give me access to my vehicle. App has to be open and you still have to pull out your phone. I can use the FOB without even pulling it out of my pocket. The only purpose I can see for the digital key is if you lost your FOB.
Old 06-08-23, 06:01 AM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

My Digital Key works great!
Old 06-08-23, 06:36 AM
Eingraham
4th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default digital key a waste of time

I spent at least six weeks wrestling with the DK. Basically, it simply did not communicate consistently with the car. The most common issues were failure to lock/unlock doors as well as the car not recognizing me as the driver. (Car is set up with my wife as primary driver and she uses the fob only.) There were also s few times when the car would not start immediately with my DK - although I think it always started after a few tries. The most irritating thing to me was that it drained my phone battery. I first noticed it one night when we were out - with the DK only - and I looked at my phone and it was 17%. Then, half hour later, it was 12%! We left our engagement with me holding my breath that the phone wouldn't go dead before we got home. (had 6% when arrived!) App open, app closed, using the key, not using the key, my phone was draining much faster than normal.
After all the frustration, we simply use my wife's FOB only. Kind of like the old days when you share a physical key. This is my first Lexus and the DK is just one of a number of disappointments I have experienced. We have had the car 4 months and I plan to get ride of it in the near future.
Old 06-08-23, 06:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Eingraham
This is my first Lexus and the DK is just one of a number of disappointments I have experienced. We have had the car 4 months and I plan to get ride of it in the near future.
Just because of the Digital Key?
Old 06-08-23, 07:26 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Just because of the Digital Key?
They did say one of many disappointments. I’m curious what the others are myself.
Old 06-08-23, 07:28 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 384 Likes on 262 Posts

I can't see how an app that isn't running, can drain a phone battery.
The following users liked this post:
daryll40 (06-08-23)

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions