RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 07:42 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Urlik
They did say one of many disappointments. I’m curious what the others are myself.
They also said first Lexus. Which might mean they are a BMW/Mercedes/Audi/Porsche driver; they probably won’t ever like Lexus. Lexus is more like the Cadillac/Lincoln of yesteryear. With less aggravation. But not a “driver’s car” like BMW etc.

Last edited by daryll40; 06-08-23 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 10:01 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Hey Daryll, I can tell from the posts you are a digital key fan. Originally I thought it would be of value since most of us only have 1 key. Even after you finally get it to work (most of the time) it still requires a lot more work than just using the fob. You have to take the phone out of your pocket, open the app, push the appropriate buttons etc. All I have to do is put my hand on the door handle, get in the car and push the start button and I don't need do pull anything out of my pocket. I think the dig key is more of a gimmick and one more way to squeeze extra $ out of us when the Remote Connect subscription expires in 3 years. (Just my 2 cents).
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 10:45 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Hey Daryll, I can tell from the posts you are a digital key fan. Originally I thought it would be of value since most of us only have 1 key. Even after you finally get it to work (most of the time) it still requires a lot more work than just using the fob. You have to take the phone out of your pocket, open the app, push the appropriate buttons etc. All I have to do is put my hand on the door handle, get in the car and push the start button and I don't need do pull anything out of my pocket. I think the dig key is more of a gimmick and one more way to squeeze extra $ out of us when the Remote Connect subscription expires in 3 years. (Just my 2 cents).

I actually agree on all points. Plus the FOB has a panic button to find my honking car that my app doesn’t have.

I guess I like having one less device in my pocket and I’m always futzing with my phone anyway. But like the self-parking thing, Digital Key is still a gimmick at this point. I agree with you despite the fact that I’m playing along with it.
Old 06-08-23, 10:50 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That was the beauty of the credit card key, bring your wallet, and forget about it!
The following 3 users liked this post by BCBrent:
Eingraham (06-08-23), ggebhardt (06-08-23), jahnjva (06-08-23)
Old 06-08-23, 11:51 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

I could not agree more. For me the digital key, if I used it, would be just in case I lost my FOB. I do not see any other useful purpose for it and would never trust it and leave my FOB home.
Old 06-08-23, 12:23 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCBrent
That was the beauty of the credit card key, bring your wallet, and forget about it!
I agree that the credit card key makes more sense.
Old 06-08-23, 02:20 PM
Bulldog50
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daryll40
I live in a condo with an underground garage. My cell phone works fine in the garage as does the Digital Key. SiriusXM does not work in the garage. Despite the info quoted in the manual stating the cell phone coverage is required, I don’t think it directly affects Digital Key operation. I think it’s for downloading and updating the software intermittently, as needed, but not for the day to day operation. I’m guessing that there was a software update today that caused your outage.

I agree that the glitchyness and lack of clarity from Lexus support really has fallen short. As has the way Lexus is handling the delay in getting out the second FOBs. But I wouldn’t throw out the baby with the bath water. Particularly as we are still coming out of a crazy post-pandemic time of supply chain issues everywhere. Lexus is still the highest rated highest value luxury vehicle. And this new RX has been pretty issue free, and amazing, for a totally new product.
I think my problem was that the app on my iPhone was off (totally closed on the phone.) I now have it running in the background and the DK seems to be working fine. One interesting not is the Close and Lock button on the tailgate only works when the physical key is available. It does NOT work with the DK.
Old 06-08-23, 02:23 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bulldog50
. One interesting not is the Close and Lock button on the tailgate only works when the physical key is available. It does NOT work with the DK.
Yes, this is a known problem that's been discussed here. Again, the lack of attention to this issue, which has been known for quite some time, is not up to Lexus "pursuit of perfection" motto.
Old 06-09-23, 06:58 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

So consider this issue - right now, I can't login to my account on lexus.com. The service just seems to be down. Try it (app, browser).

Does the digital key work if you can't login to your lexus.com account?
Old 06-09-23, 07:32 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
So consider this issue - right now, I can't login to my account on lexus.com. The service just seems to be down. Try it (app, browser).

Does the digital key work if you can't login to your lexus.com account?
Does this mean you can't open the app? It's not clear what you are saying with regard to if the app is up and running and available.
Old 06-09-23, 08:00 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

I didn't try the app, but I can't login via the lexus.com website. I assume the app is also showing the same thing.

What I am saying is, if you can't login to your lexus.com account (web or app), if their service is down (which is appears to be right now), does the digital key still work?

Quick update - the app login works, but the login doesn't work through lexus.com. No error message either.

Last edited by lexusnyca; 06-09-23 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 08:02 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I didn't try the app, but I can't login via the lexus.com website. I assume the app is also showing the same thing.

What I am saying is, if you can't login to your lexus.com account (web or app), if their service is down (which is appears to be right now), does the digital key still work?
I don’t think anyone has determined a conclusive answer to that question. My guess would be “yes”, as long as the app opens. Perhaps you can follow this up and report your finding. It’s a good question.
Old 06-09-23, 09:51 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Web login is back up. One thing I've learned, the vehicle database on the web is not shared with the app. My VIN (car still not delivered) is on the web (loaded manually by me), but not in the profile on the app. So it looks like the app is an active database for a functional car with the digital key, the web is just a cosmetic database. I could add any Lexus I wanted to on the web interface it seems - like a car sitting on the dealer lot, there is no affirmation that I am adding MY car to the lexus.com profile.
Old 06-09-23, 10:26 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Web login is back up. One thing I've learned, the vehicle database on the web is not shared with the app. My VIN (car still not delivered) is on the web (loaded manually by me), but not in the profile on the app. So it looks like the app is an active database for a functional car with the digital key, the web is just a cosmetic database. I could add any Lexus I wanted to on the web interface it seems - like a car sitting on the dealer lot, there is no affirmation that I am adding MY car to the lexus.com profile.
Not sure what all that means. So does the app work? Is there some sort of database thing that we need to worry about that will prevent the Digital Key from working?
Old 06-09-23, 10:41 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Not regarding the database.

The only observation coming out of this - if the app login service is down for some reason, does the digital key still work? The info above indicates that it only needs bluetooth to talk to the car - that's fine. But suppose the login service for the app isn't working for some period of time, can you still bring up and use the digital key functions if the app can't log you in? I have a feeling the answer is "no", and that may explain some of the time gaps in functionality people have noted here.

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions