RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-23, 03:06 PM
ndg
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had trouble getting my digital key to work. My mistake/problem was my son I and trying to download a "key" at the same time. Lexus had to clear something in their backend database to make it work for me. Once I successfully downloaded a digital key following the process in the app, which included having the original key and phone in the car at the same time, I was good. Now I launch the app, put my phone in my pocket, and start the car with regular start button. Just to be clear, I am not using the start button on the phone screen.
Old 07-24-23, 06:53 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry havent had time to read the entire thread and i do have a Q.
I should be getting my RX next weekend and it will only have one key fob for the time being. Can the digital key be programmed as i would like to have 3 done. anything to look out for with creating profiles with one key. TIA
Old 08-02-23, 03:27 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by ktsaiktsai
I have been a happy user of the Digital Key w/o a Key Fob for a few weeks. I loaded Digital Key in two iPhones (SE2022 and 13pro) w/ iOS16.x, and both work flawlessly.
I never tried the "rear hatch with locking" button (don't have a need) but will find out if it works with Digital Key later.
I shared my digital key with my wife but her app doesnt have remote start or other functions. just lock/unlock. am i doing something wrong. mine has all the options.
Old 08-03-23, 08:15 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
sorry havent had time to read the entire thread and i do have a Q.
I should be getting my RX next weekend and it will only have one key fob for the time being. Can the digital key be programmed as i would like to have 3 done. anything to look out for with creating profiles with one key. TIA
You have to have digital key as a factory option on your RX. If you do, you can have the key on your phone and share the key with multiple users on other phones.
Old 08-03-23, 03:04 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I shared my digital key with my wife but her app doesn't have remote start or other functions. just lock/unlock. am i doing something wrong. mine has all the options.
Just got my digital key working today and then set it up on my wife's phone. When you open the Lexus App on HER phone, you only see the Lock & Unlock buttons. Approaching the car with her phone and the app open or in the background, she can open the locked car, get in and start it by stepping on the brake and pushing the start button on the dash.
I was a little paranoid with just the digital key so we had the key fob with us but it was turned off.
Have you tried using the door handle to unlock & open the door and starting the car?

Old 08-04-23, 06:30 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by LARRX350
Just got my digital key working today and then set it up on my wife's phone. When you open the Lexus App on HER phone, you only see the Lock & Unlock buttons. Approaching the car with her phone and the app open or in the background, she can open the locked car, get in and start it by stepping on the brake and pushing the start button on the dash.
I was a little paranoid with just the digital key so we had the key fob with us but it was turned off.
Have you tried using the door handle to unlock & open the door and starting the car?
thanks Larry.

her digital Key works to lock/unlock the car Mine as a primary driver can do a lot more like remote start, vehicle status (which provides info as to whether the windows are up etc) . would it be correct to assume only the Primary driver gets all these options and the others only get to lock/unlock the car and then get in and start it.
Old 08-04-23, 06:39 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Are you logging in her app same as yours? If so contact the tech dept and ask them. Maybe Lexus tied primary to one phone only which means you couldn't have 2 primary phones.
The following users liked this post:
Deeps1 (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 06:40 AM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks Larry.

her digital Key works to lock/unlock the car Mine as a primary driver can do a lot more like remote start, vehicle status (which provides info as to whether the windows are up etc) . would it be correct to assume only the Primary driver gets all these options and the others only get to lock/unlock the car and then get in and start it.
That is correct (or I guess I should say that's the way ours work). As the primary driver my app has a lot more remote features than my wife's.
Deeps1 (08-04-23)
Old 08-04-23, 07:39 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by alextv
Are you logging in her app same as yours? If so contact the tech dept and ask them. Maybe Lexus tied primary to one phone only which means you couldn't have 2 primary phones.
best to walk into a dealership which isnt very far. I did leave a vmail.
Originally Posted by LARRX350
That is correct (or I guess I should say that's the way ours work). As the primary driver my app has a lot more remote features than my wife's.
good to have company. will see if i can get a definite answer.

key fob was inside the vehicle and my wife was able to lock it. thats very strange

Old 08-04-23, 12:02 PM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

got my rx500h last monday with digital key.

i tried it today and it opened the doors and started car and i drove with no problem

old iphone second the latest ios operating system 16.6.

no fob any where near me
Old 08-04-23, 12:16 PM
alextv
Instructor

The idea of having a digital key is great so long as it works. Few weeks ago dealer told me that Lexus sent out a directive to advise customers to not rely on it as they have had ones use it and be stranded. You can start off being able to use it fine and your destination has a poor signal not allowing you to use it or their are problems with the app or on Lexus's end. I was told you should always have the key with you.
Deeps1 (08-05-23)
Old 08-04-23, 12:18 PM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

i would never be comfortable with the phone as a key but with only one fob now it’s the only back up we have
jahnjva (08-04-23)
Old 08-05-23, 06:51 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by alextv
The idea of having a digital key is great so long as it works. Few weeks ago dealer told me that Lexus sent out a directive to advise customers to not rely on it as they have had ones use it and be stranded. You can start off being able to use it fine and your destination has a poor signal not allowing you to use it or their are problems with the app or on Lexus's end. I was told you should always have the key with you.
this is similar to what my dealer told me when i picked it up last weekend. we have 1 (primary) +2 digital keys setup and it doesnt work 100% of the time. yesterday my wife stood close to the vehicle for nearly a min or two with turning BT off/on as well before it connected. still a lot of kinks to be worked out for sure.
Old 08-05-23, 07:35 AM
alextv
Instructor

I am sure the technology could be done for the digital key to communicate directly with the car which would solve a lot of the problems but for Lexus to get subscription money it has to go to them first. Once the car is started either key or digital I guess everything will work till car is cut off even if looses communication or key no longer in car and problem doesn't happen till try to restart. When I bring my car out for my wife I always turn it off and let her start it just to make sure she has her key.
Old 08-11-23, 12:21 PM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi my digital key worked for several months but now it stopped working for several weeks. Does anybody have any instructions on how to reprogram the digital key?

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions