RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-23, 01:32 PM
xford66
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My digital key worked when purchased vehicle in February, but it left me stranded once and has never worked since.
The digital key disappeared from Lexus App when I went to return home with it and now it will not download digital key, tries and then gives error to try again later.
Will check with dealer at next oil change appointment.

Using Iphone 14 Pro, on IOS 16.6, with latest version of Lexus App. Have heard some think(on FB group) it's related to Lexus App not fully compatible with IOS updates, any one else heard this?

2023 RX350h Premium Plus
Old 08-16-23, 01:38 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by xford66
My digital key worked when purchased vehicle in February, but it left me stranded once and has never worked since.
The digital key disappeared from Lexus App when I went to return home with it and now it will not download digital key, tries and then gives error to try again later.

Using Iphone 14 Pro, on IOS 16.6, with latest version of Lexus App. Have heard some think(on FB group) it's related to Lexus App not fully compatible with IOS updates, any one else heard this?

2023 RX350h Premium Plus
Same phone, same software, same car. Sometimes glitchy, but no major problems once I got it working a few weeks after Jan 13th purchase.
The following users liked this post:
xford66 (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 02:13 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

2023 RX350h Premium Plus
I will never leave home without the fob. dont have confidence. I am on a Iphone 13 with the same IOS. try deleting the app, Shut down and turn on the phone and download the app again.
xford66 (08-16-23)
Old 08-16-23, 02:23 PM
LARRX350
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2023 RX350h Premium Plus
Mine is working with IOS 16.6,
I originally shared the digital key with my wife and they were both working fine. Last week her key disappeared from the app, I tried to share it with her again and it wouldn't load on her phone (same phone as mine). I then tried using mine and it no longer worked, a few minutes later my Lexus App updated!
I called support and this is what fixed it:
1. Delete / Remove the key from my phone
2. Close and log out of the app
3. Restart the app and log in
4. Then where it says "Digital Key" in the app, I had the option to either Get or Load the digital key (I forget the exact wording).
5. I Then with the car on I had to hold the key fob up to the start button in the car to pair the phone / key to Bluetooth. This solved my problem and digital key was working again.
I do not trust the digital key so we always take THE key fob just in case!

Old 08-16-23, 02:35 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

The digital key might be good for emergencies but I would NEVER depend on it.
Old 08-16-23, 02:46 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
The digital key might be good for emergencies but I would NEVER depend on it.
I turn that around: I depend on the Digital Key for day to day local driving, but not when failure would be an emergency.
Old 08-22-23, 01:46 PM
villagerlexus
1st Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Lexus does not have a reliable digital key

Originally Posted by daryll40
I turn that around: I depend on the Digital Key for day to day local driving, but not when failure would be an emergency.
I'm sorry Lexus. You sold me a new car and told me that you would only provide one key fob...BUT you said. We have this really cool digital key so that you can put on your phone that works just like a key fob. So, I drank the kool aid and purchased the car a month ago. Ever since I drove the car home I have been unable to rely on the digital key to operate as advertised. Instead, I have to pull my phone out, open up the app, try several times to get the phone to link to the car and then and only then can I get into my locked car. Then when I get into the car I get the dreaded "Key Not Detected" message. Again, I have to go through the pushing of the "Unlock" button, then trying to start the car, if I get the KND message, I have to repeat the sequence again...many times three to five times before the car will start. When I get to my destination, locking the car requires that I push the "Lock" button on the app and then bring my hand near the handle to lock the car. I often have to repeat this sequence several times too. And, if I have to carry things, I have to lay the items on the ground while I fiddle with my phone and the door lock.

I have been to the dealer twice (100 mile round trip) to try to get this fixed. The last time the Lexus Technical Systems guy had my car for five hours trying to get it to work. It worked when I left the dealer, but didn't work the next morning. I also spent an hour on the phone with the online technical support folks. No joy there either. I have an easier time linking my phone to my front door lock, my home security system and other devices that cost less than 1/2% of the price I paid for the car!!

I've read through the thread and this problem seems to have been going on since last year. Lexus where are you? I know this is a car owner forum, but you should be all over this, jumping in to let us all know what Lexus is doing to solve this problem.

Jerry
The Villages, Florida
The following 2 users liked this post by villagerlexus:
Eagleboy99 (08-22-23), tedward155 (08-22-23)
Old 08-22-23, 03:25 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

My dealer told me over 2 months ago that they got a directive from Lexus to tell customers not to rely on the digital key. What I don't understand is why a wallet key is not available. Lexus was banking on this digital key which is a subscription money maker to actually work. I don't see how this would be a viable option anyway if you are in an area with no cell reception and turn the car off.
Old 08-22-23, 04:23 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
I don't see how this would be a viable option anyway if you are in an area with no cell reception and turn the car off.
Once the digital key is provisioned and downloaded to the phone you don’t need cell coverage. The phone communicates with the vehicle over Bluetooth.
Old 08-22-23, 04:28 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
My dealer told me over 2 months ago that they got a directive from Lexus to tell customers not to rely on the digital key. What I don't understand is why a wallet key is not available. Lexus was banking on this digital key which is a subscription money maker to actually work. I don't see how this would be a viable option anyway if you are in an area with no cell reception and turn the car off.
Because a little over two years ago as they were finalizing gen 5 RX production, an engineer or bean counter(most likely) decided that a phone based digital key would be as good as a key card. They were wrong.
Old 08-22-23, 05:15 PM
CommodoreAmiga
Pit Crew

Received 85 Likes on 52 Posts

Does anyone know why I have to constantly redownload the phone key? It works after I do that, but it seems every day or so it’s removed and won’t work until I tap “download” in the Lexus app.

I don’t kill my apps, so I’m not sure why it doesn’t just keep the key? It defeats the purpose if I have to keep pulling my phone out to open the app and download something every time I want to drive.
Old 08-22-23, 06:49 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
Does anyone know why I have to constantly redownload the phone key? It works after I do that, but it seems every day or so it’s removed and won’t work until I tap “download” in the Lexus app.

I don’t kill my apps, so I’m not sure why it doesn’t just keep the key? It defeats the purpose if I have to keep pulling my phone out to open the app and download something every time I want to drive.
Because it's C.R.A.P.
ggebhardt (08-23-23)
Old 08-23-23, 05:11 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Seems like yet another example of too much (unreliable) technology...I've spoken with a lot of friends with new cars, this seems to be a common refrain.
Old 08-23-23, 05:16 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 586 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
Seems like yet another example of too much (unreliable) technology...I've spoken with a lot of friends with new cars, this seems to be a common refrain.
Depending on a constantly changing platform and many different hardware configurations really makes a cell phone difficult if not impossible for the 100% reliability a key needs to have.
Old 08-23-23, 06:29 AM
alextv
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CommodoreAmiga
Once the digital key is provisioned and downloaded to the phone you don’t need cell coverage. The phone communicates with the vehicle over Bluetooth.
I hope this is the way it works as my dealer told me it has to have data connectivity also and looking at what Lexus requirements are for it to work seem to require data also and being within 10 meters of car for bluetooth. It makes sense for it to not require data but heck this is about Lexus making money. Dealer was even surprised when I told him wallet key not available and he checked with parts dept and confirmed. Real test here is to turn off wifi and mobile data and see if it works if someone here can confirm. This is what Lexus says: The following conditions are needed for Digital Key to function:
  • Smartphone with Bluetooth and data connectivity
  • Smartphone within 10 meters of vehicle with a clear path
  • Lexus app open or running in the background

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions