RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-24, 05:19 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My DK starts acting up a yesterday after being reasonably flawless for the last 6 months. I went in for service 1 last Thursday and also did an oil chnage and had the tech change the turn signal to beep 5 times instead of the 3 (default). dont know whether these twio events are related. Deleted the app and restarted the phone and now lock/unlock functions worked but still no remote start and others. Was hesitant to delete the vehicle from the App. called up the 1800 265 3987 and left a vmail. Called the sales guy and he knew exactly what the issue was. he told me he would call me tomorrow as lexus needed to reset the database which would basically resync the vehicle. sincehad read post 301 i knew this was the correct message. Is this the only way around it i wonder.
Old 01-30-24, 08:21 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I have issues with my Digital Key in Canada. Spend Hours and hours on hold waiting for Lexus Canada to pick up.... Nope! they are not interested. I emailed them and still no response after 1.5 weeks.......

Called Lexus USA customer service and they picked up promptly and tried to help, but they can not reset Canadian destination cars. Kind of stuck.

Too bad Lexus Canada lacks customer service.

Then went to the dealer. hopefully they can help

Old 01-30-24, 09:27 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 131 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
My DK starts acting up a yesterday after being reasonably flawless for the last 6 months. I went in for service 1 last Thursday and also did an oil chnage and had the tech change the turn signal to beep 5 times instead of the 3 (default). dont know whether these twio events are related.

Called the sales guy and he knew exactly what the issue was. he told me he would call me tomorrow as lexus needed to reset the database which would basically resync the vehicle. sincehad read post 301 i knew this was the correct message. Is this the only way around it i wonder.
Did your sales guys tell you whether the turn signal blink 5 times change, related to the digital key issue ? In terms of Lexus needing to reset database ?

I'm looking to make such turn signal change, and looking to be prepared.
The following users liked this post:
EagleMan1954 (06-10-24)
Old 01-30-24, 09:31 AM
WellsB
Advanced

Received 446 Likes on 265 Posts

I had several things changed, including the turn signal flashes, and our digital keys were not affected.

That said, I'll never trust it fully. App or phone update could break it any time.
The following users liked this post:
wrinkle (02-01-24)
Old 01-30-24, 09:57 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I tried using the digital key shortly after I got my car (early March). I got it to work but it was extremely unreliable. Since I now have my 2nd key fob, I find no use for this glitch prone white elephant.
Old 01-31-24, 12:57 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Just to follow up on my situation.
I walked into my closest dealership and spoke to a salesman. he didnt know much but gave me two suggestions. remove the car from the app or use the SOS button in the RX. he also mentioned a new version of the app is on its way . didnt want to remove the car from the app (deleted and reinstalled the app a few times). went home initiated the call. US call centre and then connected to the canadian centre. after about 30 mins they inform me that they will have senior techs take a look and call me back today.

they called back and said they only handle US calls but gave me a number. 1 888 869 6828 (save this number). called and someone picked up about 15 mins later. as i was explaining the process and going through the motion i saw the app updated the distance to empty number. told him that and he said he didnt do a thing. did a couple of remote starts and all good.

he is the kicker. I updated the IOS last weekend which i completely forgot. He had me chk the app version and the IOS versions and mentioned this could've cause it and i have no doubt this is the reason. I am on IOS 17.3. do not under any circumstance remove the vehicle from the app. This was confirmed by the tech on the phone.
Old 02-13-24, 06:32 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What’s digital key? Does it come with an actual key card? In Canada, the top package is called Executive and it comes with Digital key
Old 02-13-24, 07:44 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
What’s digital key? Does it come with an actual key card? In Canada, the top package is called Executive and it comes with Digital key
its your phone. once you download the Lexus app and add the vehicle details the phone connects to the car (on Blue tooth) and essentially becomes a key. the DK can be shared with a few folks who can lock/unlock and start and drive the car.

i am on IOS 17.3 and when i i upgraded from the previous version it stopped worked for a few days so dont be in a hurry to update quickly.
Old 02-14-24, 04:22 AM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
its your phone. once you download the Lexus app and add the vehicle details the phone connects to the car (on Blue tooth) and essentially becomes a key. the DK can be shared with a few folks who can lock/unlock and start and drive the car.

i am on IOS 17.3 and when i i upgraded from the previous version it stopped worked for a few days so dont be in a hurry to update quickly.
and what did you do to tix it? I am already on 17.3
Old 02-14-24, 02:56 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
and what did you do to tix it? I am already on 17.3
nothing just sit tight. it should start to work in about 3-4 days which is how long it took for the sync to take place. i actually called the 1800 number (see my post above) but it was just sheer timing that it started to work while i was with Lexus. the tech didnt do anything as we had just started the call and he confirmed.

now i am scared to update to 17.3.1 and no chance am i updating to 17.4 in late march/apr
Old 02-22-24, 03:49 PM
Crow1
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having issues with downloading the digital key. I keep getting an error message of enable biometrics. Message says in order to use Digital Key tap "Settings" to enable biometrics. My options are Settings or Cancel. Click on Settings and it says enable Lexus to access: Location, Bluetooth, Camera, Siri and Search, Notifications, Background App Refresh, and Cellular Data. No instructions on what to do. I have contacted Lexus Brand engagement, but we have not been able to resolve this yet.
Old 02-22-24, 06:59 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Do yourself a favor and ditch the digital key. I have had my RX for almost 1 year and have found the digital key to be the most unreliable piece of electronics of any car I have owned. You can't trust it for not leaving you stranded and it's not worth the effort to try and fix it every time it malfunctions.
Old 02-24-24, 01:55 PM
Crow1
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
Do yourself a favor and ditch the digital key. I have had my RX for almost 1 year and have found the digital key to be the most unreliable piece of electronics of any car I have owned. You can't trust it for not leaving you stranded and it's not worth the effort to try and fix it every time it malfunctions.
I was finally able to download the key. I had to first enable face id and passcode on my phone. Once that was completed, I had no problems setting it up. The only thing I have done so far is unlock the doors with the key. I haven't had the time yet to try everything, but will when I get the time.
Old 02-24-24, 02:58 PM
jbl-1985
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crow1
I was finally able to download the key. I had to first enable face id and passcode on my phone. Once that was completed, I had no problems setting it up. The only thing I have done so far is unlock the doors with the key. I haven't had the time yet to try everything, but will when I get the time.
No matter what I do to properly authenticate myself with the app, The digital key is simply not reliable. Certainly not reliable enough to take it on a medium or long distance trip. Very happy that I finally got my second key. It is convenient to get in and out of the car if you don't have your hard key with you but I wouldn't trust it.
Old 02-24-24, 03:23 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Originally Posted by jbl-1985
No matter what I do to properly authenticate myself with the app, The digital key is simply not reliable. Certainly not reliable enough to take it on a medium or long distance trip. Very happy that I finally got my second key. It is convenient to get in and out of the car if you don't have your hard key with you but I wouldn't trust it.
i got my second fob this week so incase i take the fob with me in my other car (happened atleast twice) others can drive with confidence. the two instances i took the fob with me my son was able to use the DK and drive it to pick up the Fob. I am still not 100% convinced of its reliability but i must say the few times i have used it , it works. I always open the lexus App before going near the RX and once i see the Bluetooth icons above the lock/unlock i know i am in good shape.

other than lock/unlock the other functions like remote start will only work for the primary driver

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions