RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 05:37 PM
IS3Fguy
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to set up digital key today on my phone and when it asked me to put the key fob close to the start button I didn’t hear beep twice. Anyone had this issue?
Old 02-26-24, 06:34 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
I tried to set up digital key today on my phone and when it asked me to put the key fob close to the start button I didn’t hear beep twice. Anyone had this issue?
I don’t have an answer but wondered if you’re using the new version of the app that was released today.
Old 02-26-24, 06:41 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by IS3Fguy
i would lock /unlock the car and restart the phone and start all over again i typically have the lexus app opened with BT even before i go the vehicle so try that. a newer version of the app just came out today but if you havent downloaded it i would try it with the existing app.
couple of weeks back i downloaded IOS 17.3 and i lost sync between the app and te vehicle for 3-4 days
Old 02-29-24, 05:32 PM
seafoam
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital Key 2024 RX500H

I got my RX 500H about a month ago and have had constant issues using the digital key kept getting a daily message to download the digital key. Have had an ongoing message with Lexus tech support. They said the new app will fix the problem. It came out on Monday and it worked, for 3 days. Not it wants me to download the key again but now it won't even download it. Keeps giving me an error message.
anyone getting this to work ?
thanks

Old 02-29-24, 05:44 PM
Urlik
Instructor

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...questions.html

Last edited by Urlik; 02-29-24 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-01-24, 12:52 PM
alextv
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 150 Posts

Lexus is still telling dealers to tell customers to carry the fob and not to rely on the digital key. This is all about Lexus getting the subscription money after the free trial but the system at present is unreliable. Wallet key should have come with this package and even dealer thought it did in beginning. Hopefully all the bugs will work out and be reliable but you still have to be in an area with 4g signal from what I understand.
Old 03-01-24, 12:58 PM
Urlik
Instructor

Originally Posted by alextv
Lexus is still telling dealers to tell customers to carry the fob and not to rely on the digital key. This is all about Lexus getting the subscription money after the free trial but the system at present is unreliable. Wallet key should have come with this package and even dealer thought it did in beginning. Hopefully all the bugs will work out and be reliable but you still have to be in an area with 4g signal from what I understand.
Then 4g will sunset in 6 years and it won't work ever again.
Old 03-01-24, 05:33 PM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by seafoam
I got my RX 500H about a month ago and have had constant issues using the digital key kept getting a daily message to download the digital key. Have had an ongoing message with Lexus tech support. They said the new app will fix the problem. It came out on Monday and it worked, for 3 days. Not it wants me to download the key again but now it won't even download it. Keeps giving me an error message.
anyone getting this to work ?
thanks
try deleting the App.(Dont EVER delete the vehicle from the app) restart your phone, download the app and sign in , turn on BT and get closer to the vehicle and see if it will download it.

Last edited by Deeps1; 03-02-24 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-02-24, 06:50 AM
alextv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Urlik
Then 4g will sunset in 6 years and it won't work ever again.
That is very possible just like my 2001 LS430 Ul I think used 2g and when that retired the Lexus link system quit and few years later when battery for onboard Lexus link went bad Lexus paid for a mechanic to even come to house and disable that entire system.
Old 03-02-24, 12:05 PM
tolson37
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had some issues initially with getting the digital key to work on my 2024 RX. After some help from my local Lexus dealer walking me thru it over the phone - it works consistently now. Every once in a while a get the "download digital key" on my app. I just close the app and re-open and everything is good. I have an iPhone 15.

Funny story - when I took delivery of the car I wasn't even getting the "download digital key" message. I called Lexus support (not local dealer) and they said my car didn't have the "digital key" option. I got really frustrated with the corp guys - it was clear on the MSRP my car had it and I paid for it. I took my car into the local Lexus dealership and they started me on the right path to getting it working. They did something in the background and I had to wait a couple days before trying again.

I'm happy I stuck with it to get it working. My other vehicle is a 23 Ford Tremor - had a few issues initially with FordPass (Ford Digital Key) - but now it always works great.
Old 03-03-24, 06:42 AM
alextv
Instructor

Initially when I heard from manufacturers about the digital key I thought it would be great to use. My thought was that it was going to communicate directly with the car which was wrong. From what I understand it has to go to a Lexus server and then back to the car and that is where the problem is. It's all about getting the subscription money. It might also be a security nightmare if directly connected to car (don't know). What I do know is with Lexus warning to customers to not count on it working. Hopefully it can all be resolved.
For those that have the digital key and used it what is the advantage of having it over say a wallet key? Seems to me that having to take phone out of pocket opening app and hoping you have a good enough cell signal takes a lot of extra time than simply walking to car and opening.
Old 03-03-24, 07:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Reply to just above: Agreed. I was a big enthusiast about this; some of my prior posts reflect that. But the digital key never quite made it to prime time. And now that I have the second FOB, it’s just easier to grab that into my pocket than to futz with the phone/digital key. Digital Key is a Lexus failure and a stain on their relentless pursuit of perfection.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
Carbuff2 (03-04-24), LARRX350 (03-03-24)
Old 03-03-24, 08:09 AM
wrinkle
Intermediate

Received 130 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't think its a problem or a mistake to have a phone app. Its just hasn't been executed well by Lexus, at least not yet.

Most people who live in cold climates, use the app to adjust the internal conditions of the car (temperature, steering wheel heating) by starting the car before getting out of their home or office, so that its in bearable condition when they get into the car in about 10-20 minutes. Same for those who cool the car in very hot climate regions.

When I travel for extend periods without physically attending to the car, I plan to start the car remotely with the app very 10-12 days, to ensure the 12 V battery stays fully charged, and not dead, when I return back (requiring hauling to the dealer or at least having cold-start the 12 V battery - both of which are complex inconveniences)

Pretty much every modern (luxury) car has access through an app - it seems very odd to claim that Lexus shouldn't have because of one's personal preference. However, its true that Lexus hasn't executed it the best, from a software perspective.
Old 03-03-24, 08:18 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by alextv
Initially when I heard from manufacturers about the digital key I thought it would be great to use. My thought was that it was going to communicate directly with the car which was wrong. From what I understand it has to go to a Lexus server and then back to the car and that is where the problem is. It's all about getting the subscription money. It might also be a security nightmare if directly connected to car (don't know). What I do know is with Lexus warning to customers to not count on it working. Hopefully it can all be resolved.
For those that have the digital key and used it what is the advantage of having it over say a wallet key? Seems to me that having to take phone out of pocket opening app and hoping you have a good enough cell signal takes a lot of extra time than simply walking to car and opening.
Unless the app key uses bluetooth or rfid or something close range, it would always have to be routed through internet and Lexus servers.

I am also thinking the app serves a different purpose. For example, being able to remotely start and stop the car is useful for people who leave the car by itself for a long while, or those people who want to warm up (or cool) the car from somewhere far without needing to go close and inside.

In addition, the app allows me to monitor the car from anywhere in the world. I have never used it to actually open the car when I am nearby, but then again I've only had the car for a week haha. An FOB or card key is much better for that purpose as it does use close range communication without needing to open the app and fumble around with it..
Old 03-03-24, 10:55 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

The digital key is a giant flop however the digital wallet card is a nice product. I wish is were available on the RX's.

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions