RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 05:49 AM
SGW
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am trying to set up the digital key on an Android phone and have had similar issues in the difficulty setting it up. When using two phones do I install Lexus app on both phones and sign into the spp with the primary registered Lexus account?
Old 02-06-23, 01:05 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 417 Likes on 284 Posts

I found a new minor "glitch" with the Digital Key and would appreciate if others can check to see if it's just me. When attempting to close the rear hatch with the locking button, shown on the right (with the "lock" icon) in the photo here, it doesn't work, at all, with the Digital Key. But does work with the FOB. The non-locking hatch-close button, seen in the photo here on the right, works not matter what...even if no key or FOB is nearby. The kick open thing under the bumper, however, works fine with both the FOB or the Digital Key. But the close-and-lock neither closes nor locks unless you have a FOB. Shouldn't the digital key do this as well? So to close the hatch and lock the vehicle with the Digital Key, you have to use the basic "close" button, then go to a door and touch the lock notch in the handle. The Digital Key should work for the close-and-lock rear hatch but does not.

Last edited by daryll40; 02-06-23 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-06-23, 01:43 PM
hugsmindy
Driver

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

We have found the digital key does not work with the rear hatch door. It will unlock the regular doors and start the vehicle only.
Old 02-06-23, 01:57 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hugsmindy
We have found the digital key does not work with the rear hatch door. It will unlock the regular doors and start the vehicle only.
Can you check and see if it will OPEN the rear hatch, please? It might do that, as mine does. But we agree it won’t close-and-lock it.
Old 02-06-23, 02:15 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Default Digital Key Close & Lock Rear Hatch? (Not an nx thread, merged with existing RX)

Does the Digital Key allow you to use the “close & lock” button when the rear hatch is open? Just like it works when you have the actual FOB?
Old 02-06-23, 02:38 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Does the Digital Key allow you to use the “close & lock” button when the rear hatch is open? Just like it works when you have the actual FOB?
i don’t think so.
Old 02-06-23, 02:50 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dkaplan
i don’t think so.
Thank you for confirming what I found on my new RX. It’s odd that the Digital Key would do everything that the FOB does but this.
Old 02-06-23, 03:30 PM
Dkaplan
Intermediate

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

You’re welcome ! I tried several times but it didn’t work for me. Aside from that, I’m happy to say that I have been using my digital (no fob) for several weeks!
Old 02-08-23, 06:37 PM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

@daryll40 Omg. I have been trying to figure out why rear hatch right button (Close + Lock All Doors) stopped working. I never imagined it could be the digital key issue. I will try to use that button without the phone on me and see if that works.
Old 02-09-23, 03:00 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RS91
@daryll40 Omg. I have been trying to figure out why rear hatch right button (Close + Lock All Doors) stopped working. I never imagined it could be the digital key issue. I will try to use that button without the phone on me and see if that works.
Actually you have to try it without the phone (or with the Digital key off) AND with the FOB on you. It needs the FOB.

Please report back. Also, see if the “foot under the rear bumper” will open the rear hatch. In my case, that continues to work with the EITHER the FOB or Digital Key. And the button on the left will close the hatch (but not lock) even if you have nothing (no FOB nor Digital Key). The current NX has the same technology and there was one report of it being what we see with the RX…that the right “close and lock” button doesn’t work with the Digital Key. With enough “critical mass” of information floating around, maybe it will get the attention of Lexus to fix this. I have to believe that this is a software error or oversight, particularly because the “foot under rear bumper” thing DOES CONTINUE TO WORK with the Digital Key. If the point of the Digital Key is to “be the FOB”, then everything the FOB does should also be doable with the Digital Key.

I encourage everyone reading this who has the Digital Key to try this and to report here. And to report to your dealer.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-09-23 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Read forum rules please
Old 02-09-23, 09:44 PM
ktsaiktsai
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been a happy user of the Digital Key w/o a Key Fob for a few weeks. I loaded Digital Key in two iPhones (SE2022 and 13pro) w/ iOS16.x, and both work flawlessly.
I never tried the "rear hatch with locking" button (don't have a need) but will find out if it works with Digital Key later.
Old 02-10-23, 03:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ktsaiktsai
I have been a happy user of the Digital Key w/o a Key Fob for a few weeks. I loaded Digital Key in two iPhones (SE2022 and 13pro) w/ iOS16.x, and both work flawlessly.
I never tried the "rear hatch with locking" button (don't have a need) but will find out if it works with Digital Key later.
That would be appreciated!
Old 02-10-23, 06:23 AM
RS91
Rookie

The rear door kick sensor works flawlessly even with digital key on me.

However, the rear hatch close+lock button is not working even when I did not carry the phone. Next I got my phone and I also removed the digital key from the phone to be completely satisfied. But that button is still not responding. It gives couple of beeps and does nothing on pressing it. I will raise the ticket with Lexus and see if I need to bring the car to dealership. I am sure this is some software bug.
Old 02-10-23, 06:58 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RS91
The rear door kick sensor works flawlessly even with digital key on me.

However, the rear hatch close+lock button is not working even when I did not carry the phone. Next I got my phone and I also removed the digital key from the phone to be completely satisfied. But that button is still not responding. It gives couple of beeps and does nothing on pressing it. I will raise the ticket with Lexus and see if I need to bring the car to dealership. I am sure this is some software bug.
Thank you for that report. A few follow up questions/clarifications:

1. It's not clear if the kick sensor worked with JUST the Digital Key, as you state, or if it worked because you might have had the FOB with you also. Can you confirm that you did not have the FOB with you and the kick sensor worked with ONLY the Digital Key?

2. Does the Close+Lock button work if you have the JUST FOB with you, without the Digital Key? Mine does. Does yours? I suspect it does.

3. You SHOULD bring this to the attention of your dealer, as I will do. But you should also perhaps print this thread. Because it's unlikely that the dealer can do anything other than be a megaphone back to Lexus to get the software engineers to fix this.

Thank you for reporting on your findings here. They seem to agree with what others are reporting...that the Close+Lock button works with the FOB but not with the Digital Key on the 2023 RX. There is also one report of the same by a 2nd Gen NX owner.

Old 02-10-23, 07:06 AM
RS91
Rookie

@daryll40
1. I did not check rear kick sensor with just digital key on me. I will check and update here in my response.
2. As I stated Close+Lock button does not work with only FOB on me. I also removed the digital key from the phone. I think on my end it looks a different issue than digital key with this button.
3. Yes, I will visit the dealership. I also gave a call to online support. And they pissed me off by asking 6 questions for verification. Also, when the call got disconnected they did not care to call back. So, again I had to call and had to go through 6 step verification. After giving them my phone number, name, email address, car year model make, they still wanted to know mileage on the car for verification. WTH....And after hearing the issue support tells me to go to dealership. I had much better customer service with toyota than lexus for past 6 years. I hope this was just one off incident with lexus support.

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions