RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 07:13 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by RS91
@daryll40
1. I did not check rear kick sensor with just digital key on me. I will check and update here in my response.
2. As I stated Close+Lock button does not work with only FOB on me. I also removed the digital key from the phone. I think on my end it looks a different issue than digital key with this button.
3. Yes, I will visit the dealership. I also gave a call to online support. And they pissed me off by asking 6 questions for verification. Also, when the call got disconnected they did not care to call back. So, again I had to call and had to go through 6 step verification. After giving them my phone number, name, email address, car year model make, they still wanted to know mileage on the car for verification. WTH....And after hearing the issue support tells me to go to dealership. I had much better customer service with toyota than lexus for past 6 years. I hope this was just one off incident with lexus support.
I encourage you to again try the hatch Close+Lock with just the FOB on you but no Digital Key. Just my guess, but I'm guessing it IS a Digital Key issue.

I also had a similar negative experience while trying to set up the Digital Key. Eventually it did get set up, but no thanks to the customer service at Lexus. This also
sounds like my ongoing customer service issue with one of the nation's largest Cable TV/Internet companies. Customer service stinks everywhere these days. I feel your pain!

Old 02-10-23, 07:15 AM
RS91
Rookie

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Sorry if I was not clear before. I left my phone inside home, with lexus app closed. And went to my car with fob only. Still that button did not work. But I will give one more shot at it before going to dealership.
Old 02-10-23, 07:19 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Sorry if I was not clear before. I left my phone inside home, with lexus app closed. And went to my car with fob only. Still that button did not work. But I will give one more shot at it before going to dealership.
I think I know what's going on. It works (with the FOB) (I think)! The Close+Lock has a new feature that beeps while you are under the hatch. Then when you back away, the sensor detects that it's safe to close. It's for loading groceries etc. I suspect you were close to the hatch and did not back away. Hence the beeping.
Old 02-10-23, 07:22 AM
RS91
Rookie

No, i am not standing close to the hatch. I used to press that button and just walk away. Tried same an hour back. No luck.
Old 02-10-23, 07:26 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

No, i am not standing close to the hatch. I used to press that button and just walk away. Tried same an hour back. No luck.
Oh well. 🤷🏻‍♂️🥲

Are you absolutely sure that the Digital Key is OFF and the FOB is with you? Close+Lock requires the FOB, while “just close” (the button on the left) does not require anything.
Old 02-10-23, 07:47 AM
RS91
Rookie

Yes sir! I will report back once I visit the dealership. Let's see what they find.
Old 02-10-23, 07:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Yes sir! I will report back once I visit the dealership. Let's see what they find.
Good luck 🍀
Old 02-10-23, 08:38 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Unless the connector on the switch has come loose, sadly I don't think the dealer is going to be able to fix it. I wouldn't even know how to start debugging something like this unless its a physical connector problem. Maybe they will order an entire new button assembly for you and replace that, press them on that if they report back "we don't know why it doesn't work".
Old 02-10-23, 08:42 AM
RS91
Rookie

Thank you for that tip. I will definitely push them to install new assembly if they cannot resolve the issue.
Old 02-10-23, 09:55 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

A new (positive) finding. I "lost" my car in the supermarket parking lot and immediately thought, "Ought oh, I don't have a FOB. No "panic button" to help me find the car. But I discovered that the Lexus remote app has a "horn" button that causes the horn to beep twice. Which, truthfully, is better than the old FOB method of blaring on and on until the kill signal reaches the car. This worked well and I "found" my car.
The following users liked this post:
RS91 (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 11:18 AM
ktsaiktsai
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the Digital Key relies on the cell phone connectivity to the cloud and back to the car, hence both the cell phone and car's signal strength is critical to have a reliable and responsive Digital Key control.
With the dependency on carrier networks coverage and performance, Lexus website put a NOTE in the Digital Key page as a CYA: "Please have the Smart Key/Key Fob or Key Card as a backup for vehicle access." (https://support.lexus.com/s/article/What-is-Digital-Key)

Last edited by ktsaiktsai; 02-10-23 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-10-23, 12:21 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ktsaiktsai
I believe the Digital Key relies on the cell phone connectivity to the cloud and back to the car, hence both the cell phone and car's signal strength is critical to have a reliable and responsive Digital Key control.
With the dependency on carrier networks coverage and performance, Lexus website put a NOTE in the Digital Key page as a CYA: "Please have the Smart Key/Key Fob or Key Card as a backup for vehicle access." (https://support.lexus.com/s/article/What-is-Digital-Key)
This was discussed before. If you need the FOB, Lexus should refund the cost of the Digital Key. It’s an admission of failure.
The following users liked this post:
ktsaiktsai (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 01:25 PM
RS91
Rookie

I believe this video sums up Rear hatch close and lock function very nicely. And at the end he does mention that this button sometimes just does not work.

I went to the dealership and they told me to keep the key in the hand and not in the pocket. But the manual says don’t keep key in the hand. And keeping in hand defeats the purpose. If I have key in my hand, I will press one extra button to lock anyway. I don’t mind that.

Also, kick sensor can act as close and lock. But you need to ask dealership to activate this. I wish this is given as an option to consumers on infotainment system directly.
Old 03-02-23, 06:30 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Digital Key and I phone issue

I have an I Phone 12 running IOS 16.3.1 and have not been able to down load the digital key to my phone. The Lexus person I talked to on the phone said there was 1 person she helped to get it to work but for most people it wont work. She said the Lexus engineers are working on a fix that will hopefully be ready in a future IOS update. Has anyone in the Forum had any success getting their digital key to download? It would be nice to have since I only got 1 key fob when I got my car.
Old 03-02-23, 06:43 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

It works. Look for the older threads. I believe the solution was that someone from Lexus support has to delete some stale entry from the central database, the agent you talked to didn't know what to do.

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions