RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 11:38 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I went to the dealer to pick up my car that they had installed an integrated dash cam on and and they did just that and still couldn't get it to work. They deleted the phone app and reset the vehicle data and still no good.
The following users liked this post:
R9000 (03-31-23)
Old 03-30-23, 04:09 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I went to the dealer to pick up my car that they had installed an integrated dash cam on and and they did just that and still couldn't get it to work. They deleted the phone app and reset the vehicle data and still no good.
Sorry to hear this. I hope you get this resolved. It's particularly handy during this temporary period with just one FOB. Maybe try it with a different phone (family member?)?
Old 04-06-23, 02:47 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sdrep73
This is starting to get ridiculous,. They told me it would be April and here we are. They should at least be trying to mitigate it by giving us digital key set up or something but they tell me it's not an option for my premium. Lord help us if we lose our key...
It’s not clear if that means you have the Digital Key option and it’s still not working, or if you don’t have it at all.

I had trouble with Digital Key when I got the car in January. But about a month in, I deleted everything Digital Key and started over. And it worked and does work! I have the latest iPhone 14 Pro Max with the latest iOS 16.4 software update. Truthfully with this, I don’t care about only having 1 FOB. I encourage those still having Digital Key trouble to keep working it.
Old 04-06-23, 03:47 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Daryl, mine works, but only after I play around with the software for a while. It should recognize the phone/car immediately and unlock when I walk up to it. But that doesn't happen. I have a 13 pro max and running 16.3.2. I will update the phone software, delete the digital key app, and start over. I have heard you sing its praises before, so I'm going to give it a try.
Old 04-06-23, 04:05 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tedward155
Daryl, mine works, but only after I play around with the software for a while. It should recognize the phone/car immediately and unlock when I walk up to it. But that doesn't happen. I have a 13 pro max and running 16.3.2. I will update the phone software, delete the digital key app, and start over. I have heard you sing its praises before, so I'm going to give it a try.
Good luck! I hope the re-install gives you better results.
Old 04-06-23, 07:22 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Success! I updated the software to OES 16.4, deleted the digital key, and downloaded and set it up again. I went through the directed process of setting the key up and pairing it with my RX. I brought my phone and key fob back into the house. Put the key fob in a Faraday box and waited 2 hours. Finally, I took my phone out to the garage and tried to unlock the car. It did not work until I opened the Lexus app, but then it did. I think it's supposed to work without opening the app, and it may next time. But opening the app is a small price to pay to have the extra key.
Old 04-07-23, 03:05 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tedward155
Success! I updated the software to OES 16.4, deleted the digital key, and downloaded and set it up again. I went through the directed process of setting the key up and pairing it with my RX. I brought my phone and key fob back into the house. Put the key fob in a Faraday box and waited 2 hours. Finally, I took my phone out to the garage and tried to unlock the car. It did not work until I opened the Lexus app, but then it did. I think it's supposed to work without opening the app, and it may next time. But opening the app is a small price to pay to have the extra key.
Congrats! A few points:

1. The app has to be open. I’ve gotten used to this. Just one more thing that I do with my iPhone. It does take getting used to, but if you keep working it, it will become automatic. If you go to 55 seconds in on this video, you'll see that the app must be open, either in the background or foreground.

2. The close & lock button of the rear hatch still doesn't work with the Digital Key. Hopefully Lexus will fix this via a software update, but so far no fix. A minor thing, but annoying.

3. You don’t need a Faraday box to deactivate the FOB. It can be turned off easily. Go to 1:22 on the YouTube link below. Before I knew this, I experimented and found that the FOB signals can effectively be blocked by wrapping it in aluminum foil. But this is an easier, cleaner way to temporarily disable the FOB (at 1:22):

Last edited by daryll40; 04-07-23 at 04:32 AM.
tedward155 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 07:01 AM
Bo15
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

1 FOB and 2 iphones with digital key working on both now. The dealer set up the digital key on my wife's iphone (primary driver) when we picked it up. On her phone I deleted it and set it up again. Make sure iphone has good charge and decent cell signal. I needed to plug her's into the usb port to get it set up since her battery was low.

Once I had hers set up and working. I needed to delete and reinstall the Lexus app on my iphone. Once installed and logged in, I sent a key invite from her iphone to mine. I selected the invite and set it up as a guest (don't transfer master key). Now my iphone will lock, unlock, and start, etc. without needing the FOB. Pretty slick. Will hold us over until the 2nd FOB shows up.

A little nervous using the iphone key only; don't want to get stuck somewhere if it dumps itself.
Old 04-08-23, 07:06 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bo15
1 FOB and 2 iphones with digital key working on both now. The dealer set up the digital key on my wife's iphone (primary driver) when we picked it up. On her phone I deleted it and set it up again. Make sure iphone has good charge and decent cell signal. I needed to plug her's into the usb port to get it set up since her battery was low.

Once I had hers set up and working. I needed to delete and reinstall the Lexus app on my iphone. Once installed and logged in, I sent a key invite from her iphone to mine. I selected the invite and set it up as a guest (don't transfer master key). Now my iphone will lock, unlock, and start, etc. without needing the FOB. Pretty slick. Will hold us over until the 2nd FOB shows up.

A little nervous using the iphone key only; don't want to get stuck somewhere if it dumps itself.
My suggestion is to have your wife carry the FOB, in OFF mode, for a while, until you are sure. I would not travel out of town without the FOB. But I've been FOBless now for over 2 months and Digital Key has never failed. (I still wouldn't go out of town without the FOB, but for around town my level of confidence is very high). Congrats on getting yours set up and working.
Bo15 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 07:33 AM
Bo15
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
My suggestion is to have your wife carry the FOB, in OFF mode, for a while, until you are sure. I would not travel out of town without the FOB. But I've been FOBless now for over 2 months and Digital Key has never failed. (I still wouldn't go out of town without the FOB, but for around town my level of confidence is very high). Congrats on getting yours set up and working.
Thanks! Agree completely.
daryll40 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 08:24 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Good stuff. Especially the key video. Thanks!
daryll40 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 01:00 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I finally got the dig key to work after many tries even with dealer and on iOS 16.4 I now have iOS 16.4.1 I deleted the dig key, downloaded pair it and success. Not sure if I just got lucky, or maybe Lexus finally fixed it on their end and 16.4.1 had an update? Anyway thanks for all the tips esp. daryll40
The following 2 users liked this post by jahnjva:
daryll40 (04-08-23), tedward155 (04-08-23)
Old 04-08-23, 01:15 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I finally got the dig key to work after many tries even with dealer and on iOS 16.4 I now have iOS 16.4.1 I deleted the dig key, downloaded pair it and success. Not sure if I just got lucky, or maybe Lexus finally fixed it on their end and 16.4.1 had an update? Anyway thanks for all the tips esp. daryll40
Happy Motoring!
Old 04-09-23, 11:27 AM
oregonkat
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

2 questions: What would stop anyone who might steal your phone from having access to your car and driving it away?

Also, I live in an area with intermittent cell phone coverage. If my phone loses network connection, will car not recognize its function?

I'm having trouble with the Lexus app working at home due to lack of coverage.
Old 04-09-23, 11:56 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oregonkat
2 questions: What would stop anyone who might steal your phone from having access to your car and driving it away?

Also, I live in an area with intermittent cell phone coverage. If my phone loses network connection, will car not recognize its function?

I'm having trouble with the Lexus app working at home due to lack of coverage.
1. Well, if the app is open and in the background, the phone thief could, indeed, become a car thief. That being said, it’s harder for that to happen than if a thief gets your FOB.

2. My understanding is that the Digital Key is dependent on Bluetooth to open the car. It may require a cellular subscription for the app to work in general, but it should still work if the cell signal is temporarily not available. I think the app will work thru your home’s WiFi, assuming you have WiFi.

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions