RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-23, 12:01 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

If your phone is pass word protected and it's stolen, the thief can't access anything. My phone uses facial recognition or a pass word and is useless without the code.
Old 04-09-23, 12:11 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
If your phone is pass word protected and it's stolen, the thief can't access anything. My phone uses facial recognition or a pass word and is useless without the code.
Right. But if the app is already running in the background, the car will open and start even if the phone will not. Again, it’s more likely that a thief would have more success with a stolen or accidentally lost FOB, but still possible that a lost or stolen phone could enable a phone thief to become a car thief. If one is that worried about this slim possibility, then that person might want to get used to opening and closing the app as applicable.
Old 04-09-23, 06:49 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

True but I always close the app after I use it. I found it drains my battery twice as fast when leave the Lexus app open.
Old 04-10-23, 11:20 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ktsaiktsai
I have been a happy user of the Digital Key w/o a Key Fob for a few weeks. I loaded Digital Key in two iPhones (SE2022 and 13pro) w/ iOS16.x, and both work flawlessly.
I never tried the "rear hatch with locking" button (don't have a need) but will find out if it works with Digital Key later.
How do you use the second digital key, do you have a second different profile or do you log on to the same profile on both phones
Old 04-11-23, 04:47 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After several attempts I was able to download a shared key on my wife’s phone. I had both phones and the key fob in the car. It doesn’t appear that all features are available so more research to do. Currently she can only lock and unlock there is no Start button.

Last edited by 002; 04-11-23 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Update
Old 04-11-23, 10:24 AM
Bo15
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bdspilot
How do you use the second digital key, do you have a second different profile or do you log on to the same profile on both phones
We use the same Lexus account on both iphones. My wife has the master digital key set up and sent a key to my iphone. Set it up as a guest key and it works good.
Old 04-11-23, 10:47 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

The Lexus app runs in the background with no security? That is insane.
Old 04-11-23, 10:49 AM
Klamalama
Pit Crew

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't see the point in establishing another way that my new car can be stolen. Any phone can be hacked. The more ways you can access your phone (fingerprint, face, password, voice, whatever) just means more possible entry points for hackers. The high value of the RX gives thieves a greater incentive.

Digital Key? Not for me.

Last edited by Klamalama; 04-12-23 at 12:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Klamalama:
ggebhardt (04-22-23), Hefty (04-12-23)
Old 04-11-23, 11:41 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

No, if you close the app after you exit the vehicle the digital key won't start it. Sometimes I get a messages on my phone that the doors are unlocked even when the app is closed. It tells you to check the app but if the app is closed the car won't start. If the app is closed and you try to start, your screen will tell you that no key is detected.
Old 04-12-23, 05:17 AM
CAPTBob
Rookie

Received 60 Likes on 26 Posts

Last night my iPhone 14 Pro (iOS 16.4.1) listed the Lexus App as one of the Apps that was going to be updated. The App was updated overnight . When I opened the App this AM it required me to re-download the Digital Key, proceed to the vicinity and reconnect the digital key to the vehicle. It did connect and everything seems fine now. I would guess that every time the Lexus App is updated we'll have to through this download and reconnect process.
Old 04-12-23, 05:31 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CAPTBob
Last night my iPhone 14 Pro (iOS 16.4.1) listed the Lexus App as one of the Apps that was going to be updated. The App was updated overnight . When I opened the App this AM it required me to re-download the Digital Key, proceed to the vicinity and reconnect the digital key to the vehicle. It did connect and everything seems fine now. I would guess that every time the Lexus App is updated we'll have to through this download and reconnect process.
Thanks for this heads up. I just did the update as you laid out. The good news is that perhaps the software update will improve the Digital Key. I’ll check later to see if the “close and lock” of the rear hatch now works. I forgot to check. The bad news is that this update completely disabled the prior software without any warning. It requires that you use your FOB to reinstall the update. It reinforces my concern to not go out of town without the FOB and that the Digital Key could “go away” on a whim, at any time. It went away, on a whim!!

Last edited by daryll40; 04-12-23 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-12-23, 06:01 AM
Bo15
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I just checked both our phone. I updated both to 16.4.1 yesterday. With mine (guest key) I had to re-download the digital and re-pair. Pairing took many attempts but it did. My wife's (master key) still had the digital key and no re-download required.

On a side note, I drove it with my phone only and it worked great. I laid it on the charger and drove off. The screen eventually went blank during the drive with no affect. I made a quick stop at the neighbors, shut car off, and left phone on charger. Came back out. Tried to start. "No key detected". Open phone to Lexus app and it started ok. It seems to work securely as long as you keep the phone secure. Still won't travel far away from the FOB!
Old 04-12-23, 06:56 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Indeed, I wouldn't leave the app open all the time, especially if it has proximity to the car from your house to the driveway/garage. Many people now even store their key fob, in their house, inside a faraday bag to prevent it constantly pinging the car outside.
Old 04-12-23, 11:04 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

The latest software update did NOT fix the inability to “close and lock”. 🥲🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 04-12-23, 12:42 PM
Stu007
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that you have the exact vehicle (same color combo also) I am picking up in two weeks. Any thoughts that I should be aware of prior to pick up? Have you used the "digital key"?

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions