RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Digital Key questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23 | 09:14 AM
bdspilot
Driver

I'v been using the digital key for a couple weeks now and really like it. It comes in handy a lot more often that I thought, but it does seem fragile. In the 2 weeks since I got it to work, Iv had to redownload the key 5 times. One of those times was due to an update. One time the key would not redownload until the next day the other times the key downloaded and worked immediately. I'v used it when running errands around town but I wouldn't leave home without the Key.
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (04-24-23)
Old 04-22-23 | 09:50 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bdspilot
I'v been using the digital key for a couple weeks now and really like it. It comes in handy a lot more often that I thought, but it does seem fragile. In the 2 weeks since I got it to work, Iv had to redownload the key 5 times. One of those times was due to an update. One time the key would not redownload until the next day the other times the key downloaded and worked immediately. I'v used it when running errands around town but I wouldn't leave home without the Key.
If you carry the fob with you, how do you know you're using the digital key?
Old 04-22-23 | 10:09 AM
bdspilot
Driver

The real question is, if you have the digital key how are you sure you have the key fob with you? My wife carries the fob so when I'm by myself its digital key only. It also says new key every time you use the digital key, so the answer to the first question is that if I'm leaving town and it says new key when starting I need to go find the fob before I leave.
Old 04-23-23 | 06:35 AM
Eingraham
4th Gear

Default Digital key socks up phone battery

Originally Posted by tedward155
Does anyone know if the digital key is causing the Lexus app to eat up my phone battery charge so fast? I charged my 13 iPhone yesterday, and this evening it has only 9% charge left. 71% of that usage was the Lexus app.
yes! I have an android, Samsung Galaxy s21, a year old. Every time I use the digital key my battery goes straight down. Twice, it hit zero - fortunately I was home and it wasn't a crisis. But the first time I noticed the issue, my wife and were out for the evening and I noticed my battery ay 17%. Looked 20 minutes later and it was 10%! We went home early and I held my breath the entire time. Made it home with 6% battery.
My wife uses the single fob as it is her car, I use the phone key, but even if I only use the RX briefly in the am, my phone will drain rapidly all day. Going in and shutting down the Lexus app seems to help, but it seems like this is one more fix the lexus engineers should correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eingraham:
FMY421 (04-24-23), tedward155 (04-23-23)
Old 04-23-23 | 09:01 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I would hope that the app can be turned off and does not run 24/7 in the background.
Old 04-23-23 | 09:22 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

If you close the Lexus app when you are not needing it, your battery will last a lot longer. As soon as you leave the car and its locked, close the app. You may still get messages if you forget to lock it or leave a window open but as long as the app is closed you battery won't drain.
Old 04-28-23 | 01:16 PM
jrock2004
10th Gear

Default Phone Key Reliablity

I am waiting for me new Lexus as was a little sad that I cannot get the card key since the hardware or something is not installed. I know this is minor but I hate the key fob feeling in my pocket and when I sit it hits buttons and stuff. So my hope is that I can just use my phone and leave my key fob at home. What scares me a little is what happens if the car does not pick up my phone key or something. Has this happened to people? Or should I be safe just leaving my key fob at home?
Old 04-28-23 | 02:56 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I keep my FOB in my right jeans front pocket with the buttons facing my leg and can use all the functions without removing from my pocket. Had the keycard on previous LX 570’s but nothing replaces the FOB for me. It is like carrying my phone, never leave home without it.
Old 04-28-23 | 03:26 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

The short answer is that the Digital Key (what you call "phone key") works for most, but not all of us, but it's not reliable enough to leave town without the FOB. Read this thread (below) for the longer answer. I do not carry a FOB and depend on the Digital Key, and so far it's always worked. But as I said, I wouldn't go too far away from home on just the Digital Key:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...questions.html
Old 04-29-23 | 08:54 PM
jrock2004
10th Gear

Interesting that you need to have the app opened or in background for digital key to work. That might just be a feature killer for me.
ggebhardt (04-30-23)
Old 04-30-23 | 04:32 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jrock2004
Interesting that you need to have the app opened or in background for digital key to work. That might just be a feature killer for me.
I do so much else with my phone, that I’ve gotten used to it. But I’ll admit that it’s not quite as automatic as the FOB in the pocket.
Old 05-01-23 | 04:50 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Default Nothing beats the credit card key in my books. Our RX 450H uses it. Just leave it in

I am waiting for me new Lexus as was a little sad that I cannot get the card key since the hardware or something is not installed. I know this is minor but I hate the key fob feeling in my pocket and when I sit it hits buttons and stuff. So my hope is that I can just use my phone and leave my key fob at home. What scares me a little is what happens if the car does not pick up my phone key or something. Has this happened to people? Or should I be safe just leaving my key fob at home?
Nothing beats the credit card key in my books. Our RX 450H uses it.

Leave it in your wallet/purse, and forget about it.

Come on Lexus bring that back!
​​​​​​​
ggebhardt (05-01-23)
Old 05-01-23 | 05:06 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Are you sure you have the digital key if you don't have a credit card style key?
Old 05-01-23 | 05:37 AM
hugsmindy
Driver

Originally Posted by bdspilot
The real question is, if you have the digital key how are you sure you have the key fob with you? My wife carries the fob so when I'm by myself its digital key only. It also says new key every time you use the digital key, so the answer to the first question is that if I'm leaving town and it says new key when starting I need to go find the fob before I leave.
This happened to me once. I had my physical key in my pocket during my work day as I didn't want to take my purse. Left work and drove 35 minutes home. When I went to get my purse out of the back of the car, the kick sensor wasn't responding. Quickly realized it wasn't responding because I didn't have my physical key with me. Drove home with my digital key and didn't know it. After a panicked (because we only have the one key) drive back to my office, I found the physical key under my desk.
Old 05-01-23 | 11:27 AM
jrock2004
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BCBrent
Nothing beats the credit card key in my books. Our RX 450H uses it.

Leave it in your wallet/purse, and forget about it.

Come on Lexus bring that back!
Well the dealer just called me and they have an RX that has the digital key, I am so happy I will not have to deal with app being open or not

Quick Reply: Digital Key questions