RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Tire Pressure Monitor Questions (Merged multiple threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 03:07 AM
USecar
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've also been wondering why there is no TPMS shown on the driver's screen like the RAV4 has. We need this on a upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
Doug007 (01-23-23)
Old 01-23-23, 06:10 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Indicator in Newest Lexi

Can anyone explain what this screen is for? It implies that you can input tire pressure, and some sort of compressor maintains that tire pressure. But that's unlikely because how would the pressure get into the tire if not through the value stem?
Old 01-23-23, 07:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Daryll, haven’t you asked this question in other threads already? Assume you looked up in the manual?

EDIT, it's easily found in the manual on p488 found immediately by searching 'set indicate'. You use it when you're changing things about your load or wheels/tires beyond the normal expected OEM air pressure.

In the following situations, it will be necessary to perform the tire inflation pressure setting procedure of the tire pressure warning system.
 When the specified tire inflation pressure has changed, such as due to carried load, etc.
 When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when the tire size is changed.

If the tire inflation pressure has been adjusted to the specified level, perform the tire inflation setting procedure by selecting specified inflation pressure on the center display. (P.488)
When the tire inflation pressure is to be other than specified, such as when tires other than the specified size are used, etc., set the tire inflation pressure using the current pressure. Make sure to adjust the tire inflation pressure of each tire to the appropriate level before performing tire pressure setting. The tire pressure warning system operates based on this tire inflation pressure.
(P.489)
So basically if you are regularly carrying a large load in your vehicle that impacts normal inflation levels, or if you've put on aftermarket wheels with a different tire size and inflation level, this is how you change the 'normal level' that is measured when the TPMS alert sounds

this forum is primarily for aftermarket stereo audio questions, not model specific topics which you’ve already posted

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-23-23 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 08:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

It does, however clearly explain about your air pressure question.

You use it when you're changing things about your load or wheels/tires beyond the normal expected OEM air pressure. Examples in the manual p488 found immediately by searching 'set indicate'

In the following situations, it will be necessary to perform the tire inflation pressure setting procedure of the tire pressure warning system.
 When the specified tire inflation pressure has changed, such as due to carried load, etc.
 When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when the tire size is changed.

If the tire inflation pressure has been adjusted to the specified level, perform the tire inflation setting procedure by selecting specified inflation pressure on the center display. (P.488)
When the tire inflation pressure is to be other than specified, such as when tires other than the specified size are used, etc., set the tire inflation pressure using the current pressure. Make sure to adjust the tire inflation pressure of each tire to the appropriate level before performing tire pressure setting. The tire pressure warning system operates based on this tire inflation pressure.
(P.489)
So basically if you are regularly carrying a large load in your vehicle that impacts normal inflation levels, or if you've put on aftermarket wheels with a different tire size and inflation level, this is how you change the 'normal level' that is measured when the TPMS alert sounds
Old 01-23-23, 08:37 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

It seems that Lexus has made a simple matter of individual TMPS settings more complicated. Our 2015 NX200t had the tire pressure on the screen and it was always on as a personal preference. Additionally, switching between winter tire sets and tire rotations were a breeze, with Americas Tire doing the reset. I haven't yet gone through a tire rotation but the winter tires that I previously used aren't recognized by this new system and I get to stare at the malfunction indicator tor the season. I don't want to shell out the money for new Lexus compatible TPMS sensors that worked on the previous gen NX.
Old 01-23-23, 08:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I posted this in the two other places I found (so far) you've asked this question. in the manual on p488 found immediately by searching 'set indicate'. You use it when you're changing things about your load or wheels/tires beyond the normal expected OEM air pressure.

(P.489)

No, the vehicle won't automatically inflate the tires. The only normal street vehicle I've heard of doing that is the old full size Hummer.

P110 in the manual says about displaying tire pressure

Also P485 in the hybrid manual has more details on getting the actual inflation numbers on the multi information display for cars with / without HUD

Included maintenance question, 30 second google search for "new lexus included service"
https://www.lexus.com/maintenance
Bringing your vehicle in for service shouldn’t take everything out of you. Every new Lexus comes with complimentary first and second scheduled maintenance services. These services are provided at 6 months/5,000 miles and 12 months/10,000 miles, whichever comes first.* Regular service on your vehicle will help you get the best level of performance, safety, reliability and even resale value down the road. When the complimentary service runs out, continuing service at recommended intervals at a Lexus dealership ensures the highest-quality parts and repairs along with competitive prices. And since it’s all done under one roof, we can save you time, too.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-23-23 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 09:16 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
It does, however clearly explain about your air pressure question.

You use it when you're changing things about your load or wheels/tires beyond the normal expected OEM air pressure. Examples in the manual p488 found immediately by searching 'set indicate'

So, put another way, I think it’s saying if you only drive with normal loads, and only use the OEM tire size, there’s no need to do anything to with this.
Old 01-23-23, 09:23 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Thank you very much! That being done, the above post still doesn't make it clear how to get the tire pressures on HUD. This sentence implies that this is doable, but there are no step by step instructions to get it done: "Also P485 in the hybrid manual has more details on getting the actual inflation numbers on the multi information display for cars with / without HUD". P485 seems to imply that these numbers will come up as a warning when a tire is low. It does explain how to let it display the 4 tire pressures in the course of normal operation, where no tire would "warn".

So again I ask: Is anyone sure that the tire pressures can be brought up to the small driver's window and/or HUD display and/or is anyone sure this cannot be done?

Last edited by daryll40; 01-23-23 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-23-23, 09:50 AM
romer
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 105 Posts

The 18" wheels say 33 psi on the door jam. The 20" wheels say 35 psi. But my dealer sets ALL tires across all model Lexus cars at 35 psi. I always set my tires at 2-3 psi above recommended levels to be sure I'm never driving with under inflated tires. But with the Run Flats I'm thinking a harsher ride to begin with will only worsen with more air pressure. I'm wondering what other NX owners are doing? I don't have my car yet--likely another 6-8 weeks.
Old 01-23-23, 10:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by daryll40
Thank you very much! That being done, the above post still doesn't make it clear how to get the tire pressures on HUD. This sentence implies that this is doable, but there are no step by step instructions to get it done: "Also P485 in the hybrid manual has more details on getting the actual inflation numbers on the multi information display for cars with / without HUD". P485 seems to imply that these numbers will come up as a warning when a tire is low. It does explain how to let it display the 4 tire pressures in the course of normal operation, where no tire would "warn".

So again I ask: Is anyone sure that the tire pressures can be brought up to the small driver's window and/or HUD display and/or is anyone sure this cannot be done?
Don’t think it does, but maybe I’m wrong. It says the information display graphic is slightly different on those vehicles with HUD (top right) vs those without HUD (bottom left) on the multi information display.
Old 01-23-23, 10:16 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Don’t think it does, but maybe I’m wrong. It says the information display graphic is slightly different on those vehicles with HUD (top right) vs those without HUD (bottom left) on the multi information display.
Maybe I don't understand what is the "multi information display", the "infotainment screen" and the thing I call the "drivers speedometer area display", which has the same info that is on the HUD.
Old 01-23-23, 10:49 AM
kg130
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I don't understand what is the "multi information display", the "infotainment screen" and the thing I call the "drivers speedometer area display", which has the same info that is on the HUD.
The "multi information display" is the same as the "drivers speedometer area display". It appears within the speedometer display with HUD equipped vehicles.

The "infotainment screen" is the center stack screen.
Old 01-23-23, 11:58 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kg130
The "multi information display" is the same as the "drivers speedometer area display". It appears within the speedometer display with HUD equipped vehicles.

The "infotainment screen" is the center stack screen.
So if the tire pressure info is not an available option on the “multi information display” and related HUD, why is it referenced in the manual, as shown in the past few comments, as having to do with it, both with and without HUD? Something STILL seems “misunderstood” here.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-23-23 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-23-23, 02:13 PM
kg130
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So if the tire pressure info is not an available option on the “multi information display” and related HUD, why is it referenced in the manual, as shown in the past few comments, as having to do with it, both with and without HUD? Something STILL seems “misunderstood” here.
I cannot find this referenced in my hybrid manual (Hard Copy or PDF). What I found is the following which states that it is only available on the center display.

Old 01-23-23, 02:27 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kg130
I cannot find this referenced in my hybrid manual (Hard Copy or PDF). What I found is the following which states that it is only available on the center display.

Now we’re getting somewhere definitive. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Questions (Merged multiple threads)