RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Paint Protection Film?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23, 09:58 AM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I would find a place that specializes and takes their time who installs the ppf correctly. I’m looking around in my area who installs ppf but it’s expensive.
Old 01-29-23, 10:10 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

With all the exotics in the Lower Mainland there should be no problems finding a great installer. I expect prices will not be cheap though.
The following users liked this post:
R9000 (01-29-23)
Old 01-29-23, 10:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

There’s no way a 5-6 year old car is gonna be worth $1200 more because it had front end paint protection film than if equally cared for without. Buy a $15 tube of touch up paint, dap the dings as they occur, and drive on.
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
DaveLissa (09-30-23), madams144 (08-11-23)
Old 01-29-23, 10:31 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by daryll40
There’s no way a 5-6 year old car is gonna be worth $1200 more because it had front end paint protection film than if equally cared for without. Buy a $15 tube of touch up paint, dap the dings as they occur, and drive on.
Clearly, you have never driven on a Western Canadian road in winter. Up here, they do not use salt (some cities use pickle juice); they use 3/4 minus. Not sand - it blows off the roads. 3/4 inch and smaller rocks. Our Pathfinder looks like someone attacked the front end with a rapid-fire pellet gun. Even some of the PPF (ScotchCal) has holes in it.

In addition, PPF helps with tree sap and insect stains which can damage lighter colour paints.

You are certainly welcome to apply car zit cream, but for a piddling amount compared to the cost of the car, I'll go for PPF 7 days a week and twice on Sunday. And at the end of 6 years, I guarantee you my RX will look better than yours. And the cost of the PPF I'll recover by fewer brake jobs since the hybrid's regen braking will save me that money in a year or so.
Old 01-29-23, 04:33 PM
R9000
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Wondering if those who have had an RX wrapped with PPF would mind sharing a few thoughts about what they had wrapped with PPF and if they would have the same parts wrapped again. When I looked at the PPF website that @Eagleboy99 shared above for the 23 RX by Xpel they make several options, and wondering which options I should start calling around and getting prices for...

Here are a few questions to ask
  1. When you order a new RX, one of the options is PPF which seems like it comes from the factory, however, someone told me this is actually done at the dealer? Any confirmation on this, and how much does the Lexus PPF fi;m cover, as they are charging $450 see photo.
  2. PPF film is offered in different coverages for the hood, with just a small section in the front of the hood (called a bikini cut) to halfway up the hood, to coverage of the entire hood. Some friends of mine who had PPF applied on other vehicle hoods said that you can see the film line when you only do partial coverage, especially when dirt gets in the line. This could be an issue since I've ordered is Eminent White Pearl and my guess is you would see the dirt line. Your thoughts?
  3. Has anyone had the grill done in PPF on the 23, or version 4 RX? It seems it's a lot of work to apply the PPF in all the areas, hence I would think the installers would charge accordingly for that "extra" work. Do prior grills chip? Would you recommend it?
  4. Is is worth covering
    1. A Pillars and top of roof?
    2. Rear bumper areas
    3. Wear and Tear Areas (??? Im having a problem figuring out where those areas are)
As you can see in the photo, different installers will ask what coverage do you want (and each installed may offer more or less). As I start to call around and get prices, my guess is they will ask me which areas I wanted to be covered so having a rough idea would help if any of your could share a few thoughts..

Thanks

Last edited by R9000; 01-29-23 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-29-23, 08:00 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

1. Ask the dealer. My dealer offers levels like those in your picture, but with a significant premium. I am not using the dealer.
  2. I also ordered Eminent White Pearl and IME you won't see much (had a pearl white Mits with the half hood PPF)
  3. I looked at our black glossy plastic grill on the Pathfinder and it seems fine. So I am not sure about the cost to do it or if it is even worth it. But the new grille has an area above the black plastic that can be covered. You can see it in the Xpel grille kit.
  4. I am doing A pillars and roof line. Plus mirrors. And fog lamps! Unless you get the Lexus hatch piece, a piece of PPF would prevent scratches from loading stuff into the back. The wear and tear areas in the pictures are the handle cups, and the door thresholds. Not sure what the other little bits are.
One other thing I am considering is PPF in front of the rear wheel wells.
R9000 (01-30-23)
Old 01-29-23, 08:17 PM
Edison_Chen
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Its expensive here in Canada.

i'm thinking of going here https://www.rdidetailing.ca/paint-protection-film in my area for ppf and ceramic coating whenever our RX arrives. I need to modification/accessories account for this stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Paint Protection Film?-screenshot-2023-01-29-201301.png  
R9000 (01-30-23)
Old 01-29-23, 09:01 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen
Its expensive here in Canada.

i'm thinking of going here https://www.rdidetailing.ca/paint-protection-film in my area for ppf and ceramic coating whenever our RX arrives. I need to modification/accessories account for this stuff.
I'm getting that Deluxe package PLUS A-pillars, roof leading edge and fogs for $1431. That includes a 10% returning customer credit. Xpel Ultimate.
I would shop around some more if I were you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eagleboy99:
dklanecky1 (01-30-23), R9000 (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 08:24 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

after we go through a car wash, our 2013 RX looks brand new, which doesn't make me want to look for any expensive films or coatings. Not a spot of rust after 10 Vermont winters...
Old 01-30-23, 08:41 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by budwom
after we go through a car wash, our 2013 RX looks brand new, which doesn't make me want to look for any expensive films or coatings. Not a spot of rust after 10 Vermont winters...
Exactly. That’s why you buy a Lexus. There are a bunch of 8+ year old Lexi in my Pittsburgh condo garage. All look like new. Granted, they are owned by “financially comfortable” owners and are garage kept. And many sit all winter as the owners snowbird. But still, they are old daily driver cards looking new.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-30-23 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-30-23, 09:54 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by budwom
Yeah, sure , but like I said, it is the gravel they use that destroys paint.
Old 01-30-23, 10:02 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Yeah, sure , but like I said, it is the gravel they use that destroys paint.
I hear you, but we live on dirt roads in an area that primarily has dirt roads, and we have gravel and sand flung at us on a regular basis...
Old 01-30-23, 02:23 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Next time I was the Pathfinder I'll snap a picture of the damage and post it. I sure hope Lexus paint is better!
R9000 (02-01-23)
Old 01-31-23, 01:17 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I usually put on PPF on the whole front including the full hood, side mirrors and fender areas as well as the truck deck (if there isn't a metal cover there). Lately, I have been questioning the value of it on the front bumper and front fender. I say this because the front bumper, in its 10 years warranty period (Xpel) could be in an accident or get a dent severe enough to cause material damage deep enough to go through the film. And, when you have to repaint the bumper the paint needs to blend which means they have to remove the front fender wrap also.

I went through a scenario exactly like what I stated above. The insurance company balked at paying additional XXX$ for the PPF for the bumper saying that they only need to pay for the car itself. We settled and they ended up paying 50% of the cost of the new PPF. Even then, the paint job wasn't great because they were not able blend the paint color as I already had a fender PPF, which I didn't want to remove and reinstall.

Had I not put on the PPF on the front bumper it would have saved me about $700 (now it's more like $900) on the initial cost. Of course, I had to fork out another $400 or so for the 50% portion of the new PPF. A bumper repair and a paint job was going to be about $1300. So that means I would have come out ahead by not putting one on in the first place. Of course, the paint would have matched better too (after accident).

these are comments pertaining to front bumper and fender only. I still strongly believe the hood and mirrors need to be protected.
The following 2 users liked this post by MellonC00:
CCGS (09-09-23), R9000 (02-01-23)
Old 01-31-23, 01:27 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Interesting. Last crash that damaged the front end, the insurance company would pay to remove and reinstall new PPF.
R9000 (02-01-23)

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film?