RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Paint Protection Film?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-23, 11:48 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film?

I'm going to get PPF (likely not from the dealer) and was wondering if anyone had done their front bumper. With the new design, it must be an absolute installer's nightmare. Do they remove the black grill to get into the tight areas? I will probably go with XPEL. Scotchcal does not seem to last as well as it used to.
Old 01-21-23, 12:49 PM
PrimeDave
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

They don't remove anything or take the bumper off the car. Many install shops actually have software and they load up the software on their computer, select your make and model, and it pre-cuts the film already for them. They simply take it and apply it on using normal PPF application processes. My place had the software, and I picked my car up a few hours later on the same day. Even if the shop you take it to doesnt have the pre cutting software, its fine. These guys will cut it to fit just as well. It just takes longer and requires more effort on their part. Go with Xpel or Suntek as both are a highly rated 10 year films and self healing.
The following 2 users liked this post by PrimeDave:
Chris442 (04-06-23), madams144 (08-11-23)
Old 01-21-23, 02:48 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Thanks. I am aware of the computer cutting, but it seems to me that you would get better coverage if all those little fingers were not sticking out. And the indentations will make for a complicated install. BTW, the dealer confirmed that they do the PPF themselves; no thanks, I'll find someone who does wrapped edges and does this full time.
Old 01-21-23, 02:53 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

I never heard of a shop that cuts the bulk film with their own template software to your model. Most installs I have seen from bulk, the installer cuts the film (carefully) on the surface of the car - which is the main reason I would only use a pre-cut kit. They also do things like remove headlight assemblies to wrap the edges. Some people are insane about having an install where they see no edges, and are willing to risk these procedures to get it. Luckily, xpel has many pre-cut kits for the 2023 RX. The pieces look pretty complicated to me, especially when you mix and match the various kits to get the coverage area you want. Based on what I see at their link below, this looks like an expensive job if you really want a lot of coverage. Hood+fenders+mirrors, bumper, grill, rear bumper, sides along the lower skirts - add it up, plus installation. They even make a kit for the infotainment screen. I did a sample cart for an install below - the film kits alone are $2700. Figure then this is an almost $5000 job with labor.

https://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio.../Lexus/RX/Base
Old 01-21-23, 02:59 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I never heard of a shop that cuts the bulk film with their own template software to your model. ... Figure then this is an almost $5000 job with labor.

Lots of shops up here use a computer-controlled cutter with patterns. Thanks for the link. I've already got a quote for about $1500 - full front (total hood and fenders, etc.) in Suntek. There is some new film called Kavaca that some shops here use. Anyone heard of it?

Thanks for the link! But I added up a full kit and came to a retail of just over $2000 (including the funky grill coverage) so wholesale would be like half of that I suspect. I am counting on under $3K

Last edited by Eagleboy99; 01-21-23 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-22-23, 07:18 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't believe that those prices (you referenced from the Xpel website) are the prices the Xpel dealers pay for the product. It's been my experience that the prices on the Xpel web site are what the installers will charge for providing the material and then installing the pieces. Now maybe we just get better deals here in the midwest, but I doubt it. I know when I got my car done in early 2019, the quotes I got from 3 different installers were all within $100 of each other and basically matched what the Xpel web site quoted as material and shipping only.

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
I never heard of a shop that cuts the bulk film with their own template software to your model. Most installs I have seen from bulk, the installer cuts the film (carefully) on the surface of the car - which is the main reason I would only use a pre-cut kit. They also do things like remove headlight assemblies to wrap the edges. Some people are insane about having an install where they see no edges, and are willing to risk these procedures to get it. Luckily, xpel has many pre-cut kits for the 2023 RX. The pieces look pretty complicated to me, especially when you mix and match the various kits to get the coverage area you want. Based on what I see at their link below, this looks like an expensive job if you really want a lot of coverage. Hood+fenders+mirrors, bumper, grill, rear bumper, sides along the lower skirts - add it up, plus installation. They even make a kit for the infotainment screen. I did a sample cart for an install below - the film kits alone are $2700. Figure then this is an almost $5000 job with labor.

Old 01-23-23, 04:15 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 560 Likes on 398 Posts

I wrapped the hood, fenders, headlight, mirrors, door handle cups and part of rear bumper edge on my ES and RX. The installer just used a software that cut the material to the exact shape and size and he just applied it.

I am very happy with the work. Even after 7 years on the RX, it is still like the day it was installed (almost invisible). and prevented ,many, many stone chips.

For me next car I probably also add the front bumper to the list since I drive lots of highway and we get lots of road salt that causes chips on the cars.

I would never allow an installer to remove components on a new car. The parts are all plastic with unique attachment points and lots of electrical wire harness connections and very, very expensive if they screw something up. Even dealers mess things up and these people have access to repair manuals and work on Lexus vehicles everyday.....
Old 01-28-23, 04:01 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

A couple of film installers have told me they will not apply PPF (Xpel) to anything other than painted surfaces (ie. the black plastic grille parts) Anyone ever run across this?
Old 01-29-23, 02:17 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

I dunno. It’s a car, not a museum. This reminds me of the old ladies of my grandmother’s era putting plastic on their couches.
The following 4 users liked this post by daryll40:
cwpearre (01-29-23), Flonie18 (11-25-23), madmax24 (09-06-23), RolfK (04-05-23)
Old 01-29-23, 05:43 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Well I for one like my new stuff staying looking new, just 'cause. And for resale. So I guess you never wash or wax your car then?
Old 01-29-23, 06:03 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Well I for one like my new stuff staying looking new, just 'cause. And for resale. So I guess you never wash or wax your car then?
I keep my car clean. But the cost of protective film will be way more than the increase in resale value.

I get it. Just seems overkill to me for a daily driver.
Old 01-29-23, 06:16 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I dunno. It’s a car, not a museum. This reminds me of the old ladies of my grandmother’s era putting plastic on their couches.
yep, I don't want to have a stroke the first time a shopping cart dings me at the grocery store. There are limits to car care.
The following users liked this post:
daryll40 (01-29-23)
Old 01-29-23, 08:26 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

You would think I am suggesting seat covers over seat covers. I actually know a guy who does that. But he is OCD. As for PPF, I often see PPF mentioned in car ads and let's face it, if a car's front end is not covered in rock chips there is more value at sale time. It may or may pay off, but it'll cost me about 1200 US to do the entire front end. My car will be white so the wax will fill and pits, but our current dark Pathfinder looks like it is covered in zits.
Old 01-29-23, 08:53 AM
R9000
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Lexus Dealer Paint Protection Film

If you add the paint protection film after the dealer takes delivery the vehicle, does the dealer apply this film themselves or do they typically send out the vehicle to a specialty shop and have this done?

Any advantage of having the dealer do it instead of taking it to a place myself? I would guess cost is going to be an obvious deciding factor, but since I have not done this before curious to see your thoughts.

The previous person who posted about a ppf company that said they would not do the grill is an interesting issue, since that grill is so large and I could see it getting nicked by a rock on the road.

Other than looking at online reviews, any ideas on how to go about selecting the right store to get a ppf job done on a vehicle.
Old 01-29-23, 09:57 AM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

According to my dealer they do it themselves. Charge over a $1000 premium to do so. The only "advantage" I see is that the car is done when you pick it up. But for a grand, I will drive the 15 minutes to a good PPF shop.

I was the person who posted about the grill. Although I have second thoughts about PPF for at least the black part. My Pathfinder's black grill is fine. What I wonder about is the white part above the black vents. Look at the Xpel cut.
https://www.xpel.com/Grille-Kit-ULTIMATE-PLUS_490

As for a good shop, I've used a couple before and they have been good. Both will give a 10% repeat customer discount.
The following users liked this post:
R9000 (01-29-23)

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film?