RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Is navigation (turn by turn) info displayed on HUD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-23, 03:32 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 299 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that CarPlay is an Apple product. Maybe Google Maps and WAZE (also owned by Google) will update to show turn by turn.
Well Google Maps works on Android Auto which Lexus supports. So maybe that works only on an Android phone and not, say, Google Maps on Apple?
Old 02-04-23, 03:39 PM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I’m having second thoughts about the heads up
display (HUD). It doesn’t seem to display anything more than the driver’s speedometer area screen displays. It doesn’t work with polarized sunglasses and, most important to me, it doesn’t display the current audio setting (known as “radio station” in Boomerspeak). So what the big deal? I may turn it off.
Doesn't it also show all the advanced cruise control settings, distance to car in front, etc? And on the Luxury trim, doesn't the HUD show the context of the softpad steering wheel buttons?
Old 02-04-23, 03:41 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 427 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
Well Google Maps works on Android Auto which Lexus supports. So maybe that works only on an Android phone and not, say, Google Maps on Apple?
Perhaps. As more RX’s are sold hopefully more people will chime in with more findings/data points.
Old 02-04-23, 03:42 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Doesn't it also show all the advanced cruise control settings, distance to car in front, etc? And on the Luxury trim, doesn't the HUD show the context of the softpad steering wheel buttons?
Yes. But not the current audio choice (“radio station”).
Old 02-06-23, 03:25 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Update finding: If you touch, but not push, the left steering wheel control, the “nub” at either the 9 o’clock or 3 o’clock position, it will display the current radio channel. But only for as long as you keep your finger or thumb on the “nub”. And it doesn’t show the expanded song information, as it does in the speedometer area display. But this is really good news for me and maybe others reading this. I like to scroll the sound system presets and it’s nice to see that in the HUD.
Old 05-23-24, 12:38 PM
redmondm0
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HUD Display Android Auto Not working

I have a 2023 Lexus RX 350H, and Android Auto works well enough on it, except that Android Auto navigation directions do not appear on the HUD. The dealer told me that Apple Car play directions will appeara, but didn't think the HUD would work with Android Auto. Does anyone know for sure, and if it does, how to get it to work with the HUD. I have a Pixel 8 phone with the latest version of Android Auto.

Any help would be appreciater!

Michael
Old 05-24-24, 06:21 AM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by redmondm0
I have a 2023 Lexus RX 350H, and Android Auto works well enough on it, except that Android Auto navigation directions do not appear on the HUD. The dealer told me that Apple Car play directions will appeara, but didn't think the HUD would work with Android Auto. Does anyone know for sure, and if it does, how to get it to work with the HUD. I have a Pixel 8 phone with the latest version of Android Auto.

Michael
It is my understanding that the phone device needs to support 3 data output/interface streams to the vehicle. One stream for the CarPlay/Android auto interface to display on the vehicles main nav display. One stream to support the vehicles MID display on the dash and a 3rd stream to support HUD. Apple updated iPhone to 3 streams a few years ago in which Lexus supports on newer vehicles. There are some Android devices that support the 3rd stream for HUD in other vehicles such as Mazda, but I am not sure if the issue you are experiencing is due to a lack of functionality with Lexus or Android phone issue. Perhaps some folks with Androids can chime in to confirm.

Last edited by chuckNX; 05-24-24 at 06:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redmondm0 (05-24-24)
Old 05-24-24, 07:47 AM
Deeps1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Michael
i have Apple Car play and only Apple maps are displayed in the HUD as well as the front instrument cluster. Google maps and Waze wont display
ColoradoDavid (05-24-24)
Old 05-24-24, 08:19 AM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Apple Maps Nav for sure shows up on my '24 RX350 Luxury, and it is a good integration. I also thought Lexus OEM map showed up in HUD, but not sure. New ride, have not used the Lexus OEM Nav much.
Old 05-24-24, 10:25 AM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
Apple Maps Nav for sure shows up on my '24 RX350 Luxury, and it is a good integration. I also thought Lexus OEM map showed up in HUD, but not sure. New ride, have not used the Lexus OEM Nav much.
Lexus OEM Nav shows turn by turn info in the HUD.
ColoradoDavid (05-24-24)
Old 05-25-24, 08:33 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you minimize your hud? So much more info shows. Set speeds for cruise, backup screens for adjusting HUD, warning arrows for side traffic, etc. I love it.
ColoradoDavid (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24, 08:34 AM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Michael
Just read all the prior posts on the thread. Android Auto Google Maps turn by turn does not appear on the HUD.
Old 05-25-24, 09:24 AM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

I have a lot of info displayed on my HUD. I recall seeing a realtime graphic of a car passing on the left and moving in front of me. Must have changed a setting as it is not there now. First car for me with a HUD and I really like it
Old 05-25-24, 01:44 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoradoDavid
I have a lot of info displayed on my HUD. I recall seeing a realtime graphic of a car passing on the left and moving in front of me. Must have changed a setting as it is not there now. First car for me with a HUD and I really like it
The car passing graphic on HUD occurs when adaptive cruise is on. Part of lane change assist I guess.
ColoradoDavid (05-25-24)
Old 05-25-24, 06:27 PM
ColoradoDavid
Driver

Originally Posted by chuckNX
The car passing graphic on HUD occurs when adaptive cruise is on. Part of lane change assist I guess.
I use cruise all the time. I need to pay more attention and I wonder if there is a setting I need to enable. Only recall seeing the passing car notice once or twice in the couple months I've owned.

Quick Reply: Is navigation (turn by turn) info displayed on HUD?