RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Gas Door Not Flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-23, 09:56 PM
estim8tr
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess you can say that…the problem I see is there is a gap and some play between the door and the plastic backer plate for the hinge assembly and this is what is causing the alignment issue and protrusion. The ones that I inspected where the door was flush had no gap and no play…agree, not expected on a luxury brand in this $$ range
Old 02-10-23, 04:22 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by estim8tr
I guess you can say that…the problem I see is there is a gap and some play between the door and the plastic backer plate for the hinge assembly and this is what is causing the alignment issue and protrusion. The ones that I inspected where the door was flush had no gap and no play…agree, not expected on a luxury brand in this $$ range
Agreed! My gas door sits very similar to yours; not flush but not that bad as others. It seems your car and mine share some of these issues; the shadowed headlight and gas door. Another concern I have is cabin noise; it is not terrible but not as quite as it seems it is the case with others. Mine is a 350h Prem+. When was your car built?
Old 02-10-23, 04:44 AM
estim8tr
Rookie

Originally Posted by CCTX
Agreed! My gas door sits very similar to yours; not flush but not that bad as others. It seems your car and mine share some of these issues; the shadowed headlight and gas door. Another concern I have is cabin noise; it is not terrible but not as quite as it seems it is the case with others. Mine is a 350h Prem+. When was your car built?
12/22, F Sport, although I don’t have any issue with cabin noise. In fact I find mine very quiet compared to my previous 4th gen
The following users liked this post:
CCTX (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 04:50 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Mine was built Jan ‘23. I am going to note the gas door issue with the dealership in case Lexus comes up with a solution.
Old 02-10-23, 04:58 AM
estim8tr
Rookie

Maybe upload some pics of your fuel door when you get a chance and besides reporting to your dealer; contact Lexus Corp and report the issue to them as well “squeaky wheel gets the grease”…the more reports they receive about this will increase the likelihood of the issuing a fix or TSB
Old 02-10-23, 05:21 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Maybe upload some pics of your fuel door when you get a chance and besides reporting to your dealer; contact Lexus Corp and report the issue to them as well “squeaky wheel gets the grease”…the more reports they receive about this will increase the likelihood of the issuing a fix or TSB
UPDATED:

The bottom part is not completely flush. The upper seems ok.

Last edited by CCTX; 02-11-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-10-23, 06:03 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Here is mine. Not too bad really, but noticeable.

The following users liked this post:
Julius071 (02-25-23)
Old 02-25-23, 06:41 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

After fussing around with it and left it alone for a couple of weeks it settled in placed. Filled up today (23.8mpg) and I noticed that the gas door is looking better and very flush!

Old 02-25-23, 06:49 PM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have experienced the same thing! My gas door is perfect now without doing anything to it.
Old 02-25-23, 07:11 PM
tedward155
Intermediate

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. If it's not exactly flush with the body, it's not enough to worry about. But clearly yours is not seating correctly.

Old 02-26-23, 05:40 AM
estim8tr
Rookie

Originally Posted by Julius071
After fussing around with it and left it alone for a couple of weeks it settled in placed. Filled up today (23.8mpg) and I noticed that the gas door is looking better and very flush!

Originally Posted by SaraLvsLxs
I have experienced the same thing! My gas door is perfect now without doing anything to it.
That’s great news! I hope this happens to mine. So am I understanding this correctly, both your gas doors have self corrected and are now perfectly flush without making any adjustments or repairs? This just doesn’t seem to make any sense at all to me. Have you been experiencing different temperatures in your area recently? Expansion/ contraction is the only logical explanation I could think of for the door to self correct itself, but this would be temporary. Or perhaps, by pressing on a certain area of the door while closing after refuelling puts it back into alignment.

@Julius071 you said in a prior post after messing with it on several occasions you made it worse and now in your pictures your fuel door looks perfectly flush?

I’m just trying to grasp how this is possible without making some sort of adjustment or part replacement because mine looks the same since I got mine and we have had temperatures between -10 deg and +10 deg Celsius.
Old 02-26-23, 07:48 AM
SaraLvsLxs
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, I did NOT do any type of adjustment or repair to my gas door and it now sits perfectly flush.

I'm not going to micro analyze how I’ve shut it or anything - my time is too valuable for that, but I’ve used it like normal and I fill up about once a week. No drastic changes in temperature.
Old 02-26-23, 08:51 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

That’s great news! I hope this happens to mine. So am I understanding this correctly, both your gas doors have self corrected and are now perfectly flush without making any adjustments or repairs? This just doesn’t seem to make any sense at all to me. Have you been experiencing different temperatures in your area recently? Expansion/ contraction is the only logical explanation I could think of for the door to self correct itself, but this would be temporary. Or perhaps, by pressing on a certain area of the door while closing after refuelling puts it back into alignment.

@Julius071 you said in a prior post after messing with it on several occasions you made it worse and now in your pictures your fuel door looks perfectly flush?

I’m just trying to grasp how this is possible without making some sort of adjustment or part replacement because mine looks the same since I got mine and we have had temperatures between -10 deg and +10 deg Celsius.
@estim8tr Yes I did make some adjustments with no new parts needed. How? With the gas door open, I simply pushed (very little pulling) in some direction except towards the driver of the RX but mainly up towards the RX and down towards the RX. How hard or soft? Just enough pressure to create some change in the gas door position. Soon after I closed the gas door I inspected the gas door and it look alot better than before but not really flush and just said f*k it and walked away. Then I left the gas door alone for about two weeks but of course drove the RX around during that two weeks till my next gas fill up. In terms of temperature, in the North Seattle area, we had temperature ranging from low 30 deg to mid 40 deg fahrenheit during the two weeks. The car has been kept in the garage or a parking structure and has not been parked under the sun. I hope I added in every detail that I could think of but please let m know if you have any questions!
Old 02-26-23, 08:57 AM
Julius071
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SaraLvsLxs
Correct, I did NOT do any type of adjustment or repair to my gas door and it now sits perfectly flush.

I'm not going to micro analyze how I’ve shut it or anything - my time is too valuable for that, but I’ve used it like normal and I fill up about once a week. No drastic changes in temperature.
@SaraLvsLxs My main problem to the gas door not being flushed was not being able to open the gas door (I couldn't open the gas door). My wife occasionally drives the RX alone and I don't want her calling me saying she can't open the gas door to fill up and I have to drive to her and try to pry the gas door open at the gas station. Or worse case tow the RX to the dealership if I can't open the gas door. I am forever dramatized
Old 02-26-23, 12:34 PM
RDLGX
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius071
@SaraLvsLxs My main problem to the gas door not being flushed was not being able to open the gas door (I couldn't open the gas door). My wife occasionally drives the RX alone and I don't want her calling me saying she can't open the gas door to fill up and I have to drive to her and try to pry the gas door open at the gas station. Or worse case tow the RX to the dealership if I can't open the gas door. I am forever dramatized
Wow...this is too bad. I'm starting to question quality control with Lexus. This just shouldn't be. My 2020 RX has been perfect, and really starting to wonder about trading. I was reading on another forum where a person pushed the memory seat button in, and the whole piece fell out back in the dash. I know with new models things come up, but I surely hope they catch all of these issues right away. Good luck getting your gas door fixed, and hope you will enjoy your new ride !

Quick Reply: Gas Door Not Flush