RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Gas Door Not Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-23, 04:11 PM
dreamG
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius071
Sorry to hear
It’s not a big deal but just unexpected for Lexus quality control. Not sure how it could even pass exterior visual inspection. Hope it doesn’t get worse after the standard warranty is over or there will be a TSB in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreamG:
CCGS (03-01-24), Urlik (03-30-23)
Old 03-31-23, 04:25 PM
krafty81
Pit Crew

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by flexem350h
Wow, 88 posts as of now about a gas door not being flush. If I wasted more than 3 minutes worrying about such a thing I'd seriously reevaluate my life. Squeaks, rattles, crooked steering columns, hoods that flutter, doors that are hard to close, gas doors not aligned, digital keys that don't work, and round and round we go. Tons of people can't afford food, and millions of people are dead from a pandemic, but as I said in another thread, people want to complain, and they are going to "speak to the manager of Lexus" if it's the last thing they do (would it be spelled "Caren" instead of "Karen"?).

Stay strong. Persevere. It'll be tough, for sure, without that digital key, but life must go on. Stop sweating every last minuscule detail and small thing - and they are ALL small things. Drive your cars. Be happy.
Sure I think we all agree these are small issues. Part of having a forum is for people to talk about things going on with the car and compare notes with others. I enjoy this forum.
The following 5 users liked this post by krafty81:
Bo15 (03-31-23), CCGS (03-01-24), ggebhardt (04-01-23), RolfK (04-01-23), tedward155 (03-31-23)
Old 04-01-23, 04:58 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by tedward155
Oh yeah, it still has the awful gas cap. I don't know why Lexus doesn't go to a capless tank filler. And you might be right about that plastic piece that holds the gas cap on. It always seems to be in the way when I'm trying to close up.
‘The little plastic tether is not quite long enough and with the gas door wide open, it kinda restricts being able to screw the cap in. I am luck and my gas door is perfectly flush.

OT:
Also, when filling with gas, is anyone else having problems with the gas hose nozzle kicking off multiple times before the tank is full? When filling up I have to partially retract the nozzle and listen for the gas backing up so I stop the fill.

Am I the only one?
Old 04-01-23, 06:04 AM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

No Issues, maybe you can back off on flow velocity to stop premature shut off?
The following users liked this post:
ggebhardt (04-01-23)
Old 04-01-23, 06:54 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Received 388 Likes on 264 Posts

Never top off a gas tank on a modern car, the evaporative emissions system needs a little gap in the fill for the sensors et al to work properly. Overfill, and you'll destroy the evap cannister on your fuel system. Short fill, or first click stop at most, don't top off.
The following 2 users liked this post by lexusnyca:
Bo15 (04-01-23), Julius071 (04-01-23)
Old 04-01-23, 01:40 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusnyca
Never top off a gas tank on a modern car, the evaporative emissions system needs a little gap in the fill for the sensors et al to work properly. Overfill, and you'll destroy the evap cannister on your fuel system. Short fill, or first click stop at most, don't top off.
‘When my tank shows 1/2 full and the gas stops after 1-2 gallons . . . . .

‘’I will try repositioning and decreasing flow.
Old 12-30-23, 10:01 AM
uptownboi
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only is the door not flush , i also heard a lot of owners complain about the plastic string that holds the gas cap being just a little too short as well. My door is pretty bad and I just asked my local dealership about it, the advisor said the tech claims it to be "normal". To me its not because if u look at it from the back it sticks out and I can also see it protruding out in the driver side mirror. I hope Lexus would address this issue.
Old 12-30-23, 11:02 AM
Allaboard
7th Gear

I took my new 2024 RX350h in yesterday about the gas door sitting off and also to ask about the lack of heat coming off of the heated steering. I figured the gas door would need a simple adjustment to remedy the issue. They ended up saying that the door was bent and that they needed to order a new door, paint and change out from the off door next week. I was really surprised that it wasn’t something that could just be adjusted. Little bit concerned about the paint matching on the gas cap.
Old 01-01-24, 01:28 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allaboard
I took my new 2024 RX350h in yesterday about the gas door sitting off and also to ask about the lack of heat coming off of the heated steering. I figured the gas door would need a simple adjustment to remedy the issue. They ended up saying that the door was bent and that they needed to order a new door, paint and change out from the off door next week. I was really surprised that it wasn’t something that could just be adjusted. Little bit concerned about the paint matching on the gas cap.
I doubt there is an adjustment for the gas door. It likely would need to be bent or recent to get it to fit properly. Getting a skilled tech to do this, successfully, would be taking a big chance. I, also, would worry about the quality of the new paint and it’s matching over the long term.
Old 01-01-24, 08:46 PM
uptownboi
Rookie

I'm also worried about the gas door paint quality if they would replace my door. However, I must also say my heated steering isn't very warm either. Do you have the wood steering wheel?
Old 01-01-24, 11:54 PM
Allaboard
7th Gear

Originally Posted by uptownboi
I'm also worried about the gas door paint quality if they would replace my door. However, I must also say my heated steering isn't very warm either. Do you have the wood steering wheel?
Yes, I have the bamboo trimmed steering wheel. I was a bit surprised and disappointed at the lack of heat coming off the wheel.

Old 01-02-24, 12:01 AM
Allaboard
7th Gear

Originally Posted by danielwty
Got my RX 350h yesterday and found mine does not flush either. In fact it is quite noticeable.
Were you able to get this issue corrected?
Old 01-02-24, 01:20 AM
mathjak107
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

i looked yesterday ..our 500h is going on 6 months and the door is quite flush
Allaboard (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 01:30 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Were you able to get this issue corrected?
‘WOW! That door is really off!
coolbrazz (03-05-24)
Old 01-03-24, 10:26 PM
bedrock4x
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus RX built Quality

I just purchased a brand new 2024 RX350h in California. The car was assembled in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
After having it for about a month, I noticed that the gas cap door is misaligned. The left side gap is bigger than the right side gap,
3.1mm vs 1.1mm.
Do you think this can be realigned to correct the gaps evenly to the Lexus Quality Standard?

Quick Reply: Gas Door Not Flush