RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Unlocking all doors

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-23, 04:25 PM
ishh
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Unlocking all doors

I’m wondering if there’s a way to unlock all doors without the remote? My old Acura tlx had the ability to double pull the door handle to unlock all 4 doors.
The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (01-25-23)
Old 01-25-23, 04:28 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by ishh
I’m wondering if there’s a way to unlock all doors without the remote? My old Acura tlx had the ability to double pull the door handle to unlock all 4 doors.
Touch the inside of one of the exterior handles EXCEPT the driver’s door. So when you approach the driver’s door, first do that to the rear driver’s side door and both you and any passengers can get into a fully unlocked car. Same for the other two non-driver’s doors. You do need a remote in your pocket. Obviously you know that doing this to the driver’s door only unlocks the driver’s door. I do this, first touch the inside of the rear door unlocking handle, all the time, when I have a passenger or passengers.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-25-23 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-23, 04:32 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Prior gen and most other models you just program it through the menu.
Old 01-25-23, 06:27 PM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
Touch the inside of one of the exterior handles EXCEPT the driver’s door. So when you approach the driver’s door, first do that to the rear driver’s side door and both you and any passengers can get into a fully unlocked car. Same for the other two non-driver’s doors. You do need a remote in your pocket. Obviously you know that doing this to the driver’s door only unlocks the driver’s door. I do this, first touch the inside of the rear door unlocking handle, all the time, when I have a passenger or passengers.
Same with my Acura. The 3 passenger doors unlock all doors.
Old 01-25-23, 06:33 PM
kg130
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ishh
You can change this in the settings menu. I believe it's under Vehicle Customize, Door Control. You can set this to "driver door only" or "all doors unlock" when you press the driver's door handle.
Julius071 (01-25-23)
Old 01-26-23, 02:54 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kg130
You can change this in the settings menu. I believe it's under Vehicle Customize, Door Control. You can set this to "driver door only" or "all doors unlock" when you press the driver's door handle.
I think my way is safer. If it’s just the driver, then there’s no need for the passenger doors to unlock. And when you do have 1 or more passengers, a quick, easy swipe of the rear passenger driver’s door unlock, on the way to getting into the driver’s door, lets them in. It keeps the choice to “optional, on the fly”.
Old 01-26-23, 06:36 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

I think my way is safer. If it’s just the driver, then there’s no need for the passenger doors to unlock. And when you do have 1 or more passengers, a quick, easy swipe of the rear passenger driver’s door unlock, on the way to getting into the driver’s door, lets them in. It keeps the choice to “optional, on the fly”.
I have our cars set up that way. Driver’s door only. Especially on my wife’s car. Then as you say, a swipe of the rear handle for passengers.
However, I have a 2 door. That means any passenger has to endure the indignity of waiting while I open my door and hit the switch.
daryll40 (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 06:44 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Elvisfan
I have our cars set up that way. Driver’s door only. Especially on my wife’s car. Then as you say, a swipe of the rear handle for passengers.
However, I have a 2 door. That means any passenger has to endure the indignity of waiting while I open my door and hit the switch.
Our '21 Subaru Crosstrek is like that, sort of. It's a four door, but the rear doors don't have the unlock sensors. In all other ways, the tech is the same as Lexus. Anyway, when there is a passenger I generally "become a gentleman" and open the door for that person. I can only think of one time in two years of ownership where there was more than 1 passenger and I think I did the heavy lifting of reaching into my pocket to push the unlock FOB button, twice, to fully unlock the car.
Old 01-26-23, 07:12 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 866 Likes on 653 Posts

Latest Lexi have added a feature to unlock all doors from the driver's door handle -
The initial response when you reach through the handle unlocks just the drivers door as before,
leave your hand inside the driver's door handle for a couple of seconds and the guest doors will unlock.

Related feature for all years & models - when you first touch the outside "dimple" to lock all doors
you can confirm the action by immediately reaching into the handle and give it a tug. For the first 5 seconds
after locking it will not unlock. This is handy if your are in a noisy environment and don't hear the locking chirp.
daryll40 (01-26-23)
Old 01-26-23, 07:37 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mcomer
Latest Lexi have added a feature to unlock all doors from the driver's door handle -
The initial response when you reach through the handle unlocks just the drivers door as before,
leave your hand inside the driver's door handle for a couple of seconds and the guest doors will unlock.

Related feature for all years & models - when you first touch the outside "dimple" to lock all doors
you can confirm the action by immediately reaching into the handle and give it a tug. For the first 5 seconds
after locking it will not unlock. This is handy if your are in a noisy environment and don't hear the locking chirp.
Son of a gun! Now THIS is why this forum is great. No one would have found that in the 500+ page manual! I tested this and you are right! I wonder if this works the same way in our Subaru? EDIT:NOPE! I wonder if I had this in my 2020RX and never knew it.

The "five second rule" that you mentioned I DID know about.

Last edited by daryll40; 01-26-23 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-26-23, 08:38 AM
Elvisfan
Pit Crew

Son of a gun! Now THIS is why this forum is great. No one would have found that in the 500+ page manual! I tested this and you are right! I wonder if this works the same way in our Subaru (which is being driven now by a family member. I'll test later)? I wonder if I had this in my 2020RX and never knew it.

The "five second rule" that you mentioned I DID know about.
Neither of those tricks work on my Merc. I confirm by the mirrors folded in.
Old 01-26-23, 11:28 AM
SonOfABisc
Driver

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

"Neither of those tricks work on my Merc."

There's just something about a Mercury.