RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-23 | 12:37 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

At the dealership, I noticed that the tires were 6 pt above the recommended psi so I asked they adjust them, they did.
Old 01-29-23 | 01:28 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

I no hypermiler, but I always inflate my tires over recommended PSI.
Old 01-29-23 | 03:17 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

So we took the RX for a drive with the family so they can check for leaks and noise source while driving.

1) I tried with and without the mirrors folded in but there was no difference.
2) The wind noise was more pronounced than the road noise.
3) We strongly believe now it is the panoramic roof. We felt some wind leaks especially around the back corners of the pano roof (i.e. the non-moving part). We still plan to take it to the dealership.

So for those with a panoramic roof, if you get a chance to test the cabin noise, please share.
Old 01-30-23 | 05:43 AM
BCBrent
Driver

If the dealer doesn't find anything, then I would check all of the door seals sticking newspaper between the door seals and the frame of the vehicle, then pull on the newspaper to make sure there's some resistance, and that the paper doesn't pull easily.

I've also watched a reviewer on youtube measure the db level and he came out with a reading of 55 db at highway speed.

Old 01-30-23 | 05:44 AM
budwom
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCTX
So we took the RX for a drive with the family so they can check for leaks and noise source while driving.

1) I tried with and without the mirrors folded in but there was no difference.
2) The wind noise was more pronounced than the road noise.
3) We strongly believe now it is the panoramic roof. We felt some wind leaks especially around the back corners of the pano roof (i.e. the non-moving part). We still plan to take it to the dealership.

So for those with a panoramic roof, if you get a chance to test the cabin noise, please share.
uh oh. Have you been to the car wash yet? No telling what that could reveal...
Old 01-30-23 | 09:12 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BCBrent
If the dealer doesn't find anything, then I would check all of the door seals sticking newspaper between the door seals and the frame of the vehicle, then pull on the newspaper to make sure there's some resistance, and that the paper doesn't pull easily.

I've also watched a reviewer on youtube measure the db level and he came out with a reading of 55 db at highway speed.
I will, thanks! I also tried to tape around the pano roof. It lowered the noise but was not really that different.

Is it this video?
. I noticed they have the regular sunroof.
Old 01-30-23 | 09:13 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by budwom
uh oh. Have you been to the car wash yet? No telling what that could reveal...
Not yet, I was thinking the same.
Old 01-30-23 | 09:39 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Originally Posted by CCTX
I will, thanks! I also tried to tape around the pano roof. It lowered the noise but was not really that different.

Is it this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDuLcrclU64. I noticed they have the regular sunroof.
Yes, it was sorry.

I've been researching the 500H, and now I think that the 500H may have more sound-proofing then some of the others.

I've ordered the RX 500H here in Canada, and forgot that you had the 350.

I presently have a 2013 RX 450H, and I don't want another cvt any time soon.
Old 01-30-23 | 09:45 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

It was a good reference point though. I believe they tested all 3 versions, 350, 350h, and 500h. It seems all were around 55-57 dB at 55mph. I hope you receive yours soon!!
Old 01-30-23 | 09:27 PM
maadfw
Rookie

I did on my RX350h and posted them in the feedback thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11419760

-maadfw
Old 01-31-23 | 05:44 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maadfw
I did on my RX350h and posted them in the feedback thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...l#post11419760

-maadfw
Thanks. Yes, I read your post earlier. It was one of the most informative, thanks! The quietness is one of the main reasons we went with the RX. Mid 50's @70+ mph is impressive. Does yours have the pano roof? Any updates on the door closing or you just get used to it? I have a similar issue with the door too.
Old 01-31-23 | 05:56 AM
maadfw
Rookie

Thanks CCTX for your kind words! Again, that mid-50s reading was taken over 3 times for a brief period of time. Who knows if that was due to the section of I-35 when I took them (even though i took them some time apart). I haven't taken the reading after that as I mostly drive in City traffic. Mine does NOT have Pano roof if that helps.

The door closing issue does not seem like a problem so far. Either the family got used to closing "properly" and/or the doors needed some break-in period too.

-maadfw
Old 01-31-23 | 06:11 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by maadfw
Thanks CCTX for your kind words! Again, that mid-50s reading was taken over 3 times for a brief period of time. Who knows if that was due to the section of I-35 when I took them (even though i took them some time apart). I haven't taken the reading after that as I mostly drive in City traffic. Mine does NOT have Pano roof if that helps.

The door closing issue does not seem like a problem so far. Either the family got used to closing "properly" and/or the doors needed some break-in period too.

-maadfw
Most welcome! Yes, I am thinking the door issue will resolve itself one way or another.
Old 01-31-23 | 07:21 AM
pashv
3rd Gear

Hello everyone,
I just picked my 2023 RX350h Premium+ with pano roof and 21” Bridgestone tires (no roof racks) on January 28th 2023 . IT IS Extremely LOUD ! For the car which cost $65k with taxes it can not be like this. First of all if you drive on highway over 55 mph and it’s little windy it’s extremely loud and that’s not because of pano roof , I think it’s bad shape of those two rails on top of the roof . Never thought that fuel engine will be that loud when it start and works on hybrid model . And the third thing which disappointed me when you drive more than 70-75 mph it’s barely make 25 MPG not even close for what manufacturer said of 34 MPG . It’s comfortable and has lots of futures but if I new upfront that it is that loud I would never buy hybrid. Overall great car but NOISE. It’s super slow on start by the way.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 01-31-23 | 07:38 AM
lexusnyca
Instructor

Some things don't line up there - the gas engine alone in the hybrid would get > 25mpg at highway cruise. Did you reset your trip computer? 0-60 times are the same in the hybrid as the gas/turbo, there have been dozens of review/tests on the car posted to youtube. Can't comment on the wind noise issue.

Quick Reply: Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?