RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-23, 06:15 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by CCTX
Since you have the pano roof as well, did you measure the cabin noise level by any chance especially at highway speeds? Thanks!!
I have no idea what meter to get or how to measure cabin noise. That being said, I've been driving Lexi since 1989 and this one is at least as quiet as all the rest, even at highway speeds. I do admit that my hearing isn't quite what it used to be, now at age 63. But this sounds similar to my 2020RX that I traded.
Old 02-02-23, 06:32 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I have no idea what meter to get or how to measure cabin noise. That being said, I've been driving Lexi since 1989 and this one is at least as quiet as all the rest, even at highway speeds. I do admit that my hearing isn't quite what it used to be, now at age 63. But this sounds similar to my 2020RX that I traded.
Got it. We are very pleased with the car but the noise thing is annoying. Can we live with it if there is no remedy? Yes, but we will try to see if we can fix it. I use the Decibel X app on my phone. It is a free app. I usually turn off the AC, close the windows, and measure at different speeds. I hope you continue to enjoy your new RX!!
Old 02-02-23, 06:35 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I too have ten years on our RX 450H without taking it to the Lexus dealer, trouble-free, but we change our vehicles every 10 years, and it's our 3rd Lexus, and we're waiting for something a little sportier.

The RX could be more quiet, so the test drive in the 500H, seems to be just that.

Old 02-02-23, 06:40 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Got it. We are very pleased with the car but the noise thing is annoying. Can we live with it if there is no remedy? Yes, but we will try to see if we can fix it. I use the Decibel X app on my phone. It is a free app. I usually turn off the AC, close the windows, and measure at different speeds. I hope you continue to enjoy your new RX!!
I didn't know that there was such a thing as a decibel meter. Maybe I'll try it and report back. On the other hand, ignorance is bliss. Maybe I'll just enjoy my car as I am and not focus on something that might irritate me! I wonder if there's any noise difference between having the sunroof "windowblind" thing open or closed? I generally leave mine closed anyway. I don't like the sun on my head, etc. What tires do you have? That could be a factor. Mine are the Goodyear touring tires.
Old 02-02-23, 06:43 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a decibel meter. Maybe I'll try it and report back. On the other hand, ignorance is bliss. Maybe I'll just enjoy my car as I am and not focus on something that might irritate me! I wonder if there's any noise difference between having the sunroof "windowblind" thing open or closed? I generally leave mine closed anyway. I don't like the sun on my head, etc. What tires do you have? That could be a factor. Mine are the Goodyear touring tires.
I tried with and without the "window blind" and it was about the same; not much difference. I have the Michelin Primacy.
Old 02-02-23, 06:44 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

I tried with and without the "window blind" and it was about the same; not much difference. I have the Michelin Primacy.
I did just get DECIBEL X. I'll play with this later and report back.
Old 02-02-23, 06:56 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

I did just get DECIBEL X. I'll play with this later and report back.
Great, thanks!!
Old 02-02-23, 08:43 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Great, thanks!!
OK, my preliminary findings are as follows:

the car interior noise decibel level is between 40 (complete stop with no external traffic or noise) and 78 (cruising at 75 MPH and accelerating). About 60-65 at 55MPH depending on external traffic and whether accelerating or not. The sunroof windowblind doesn’t change anything…open or closed.

55 to 65 around town.

Last edited by daryll40; 02-02-23 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-02-23, 09:43 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

OK, my preliminary findings are as follows:

the car interior noise decibel level is between 40 (complete stop with no external traffic or noise) and 78 (cruising at 75 MPH and accelerating). About 60-65 at 55MPH depending on external traffic and whether accelerating or not. The sunroof windowblind doesn’t change anything…open or closed.

55 to 65 around town.
Thank you very much!! This is VERY helpful. Around town, I assume it is 35-45mph or so? Is the highway mostly asphalt or concrete as in how rough it is?

Old 02-02-23, 09:51 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Thank you very much!! This is VERY helpful. Around town, I assume it is 35-45mph or so? Is the highway mostly asphalt or concrete as in how rough it is?
The highway was fairly new asphalt. And yes around town was 35-45MPH ish
Old 02-02-23, 10:46 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

The highway was fairly new asphalt. And yes around town was 35-45MPH ish
Thanks again!
Old 02-03-23, 06:01 AM
BCBrent
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks again!
Quiter in town, is to be expected without straining the four-pot; and by most reports from reviewers who say it's the quietest interior, and almost 80 db on the highway (probably getting the 4 cylinder excited is surprising to me.

I would have thought by one report that mid-fifties db was the norm.
Old 02-03-23, 06:12 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BCBrent
Quiter in town, is to be expected without straining the four-pot; and by most reports from reviewers who say it's the quietest interior, and almost 80 db on the highway (probably getting the 4 cylinder excited is surprising to me.

I would have thought by one report that mid-fifties db was the norm.
I watched many YouTube videos before picking it up and how quiet the car is was mentioned in almost every video. I was surprised with my numbers (higher than expected) and experience. This is why I started this thread to check if what I am experiencing is normal.
Old 02-03-23, 09:33 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

I watched many YouTube videos before picking it up and how quiet the car is was mentioned in almost every video. I was surprised with my numbers (higher than expected) and experience. This is why I started this thread to check if what I am experiencing is normal.
I too was surprised to see this thread given all the YouTube reviews. Have you been able to determine what it is? Is it the pano roof that causes increased noise?
Old 02-03-23, 10:15 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by anoop
I too was surprised to see this thread given all the YouTube reviews. Have you been able to determine what it is? Is it the pano roof that causes increased noise?
Not yet. Having the pano roof window blind open or closed doesn't seem to make a difference but I know this doesn't mean that there is nothing wrong with its sealing either. The nearest dealership is about 2.5 hours away so I needed to plan and do some homework before going there. Like I am also trying to see what others are experiencing. I plan to keep everyone posted with what I find out.
The following users liked this post:
PeteInGilr (02-03-23)

Quick Reply: Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?