RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-23 | 02:20 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CCTX
Yes, these are not that scientific. Some YouTube videos test these apps against physical dB meters and they were generally OK. If you have one of the recent Apple Watch models (like this and last generation?), it should have the "Noise" app. You can try with that one too.
If someone was to use the iPhone app to test the 2023RX with either 4 cylinder engine (turbo vs non-turbo hybrid), and use the same app to test the noise in a Gen 4 RX with the V6, the actual accuracy of the app vs a dedicated meter wouldn’t really matter. What we want to know is if the new RX is really noisier than the old RX
The following 2 users liked this post by daryll40:
dklanecky1 (02-19-23), tedward155 (02-17-23)
Old 02-17-23 | 02:28 PM
Blade2376
2nd gear

If it helps, my Lexus dealership is in Temecula CA and it’s adjacent to the freeway.

When I sat in a model with the pano roof, I could clearly hear the freeway. I had to look to see if all the windows were up. Very surprising.

When I sat in a model with the standard sunroof, the freeway noise was considerably quieter. Much more reasonable.

The following users liked this post:
FMY421 (02-27-23)
Old 02-21-23 | 10:51 AM
alan2955
Driver

Originally Posted by tedward155
I'll check out your thread and contribute. But to quickly update, I took the car out again today and drove for about 40 miles on various interstates around Little Rock. It seems to be tire noise. The difference between concrete road and asphalt is unbelievable. On asphalt interstate the car is as quiet and smooth as advertised. On concrete, it is really loud. The car came with Goodyear. Not sure if it's tire specific or if that's just the way it is on concrete.
I had a 2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum with Goodyear tires, and they were extremely quiet on newish asphalt but they were the worst ever on cross grooved concrete. Literally made a noise like somebody was blowing in a pop bottle. Fortunately, I rarely had to drive on that section of interstate but if I did, I would’ve been replacing the tires with Michelin. Never in my life did I own tires that sounded so bad on certain types of concrete.
tedward155 (02-21-23)
Old 02-21-23 | 11:04 AM
tedward155
Intermediate

Originally Posted by alan2955
I had a 2021 Toyota Highlander Platinum with Goodyear tires, and they were extremely quiet on newish asphalt but they were the worst ever on cross grooved concrete. Literally made a noise like somebody was blowing in a pop bottle. Fortunately, I rarely had to drive on that section of interstate but if I did, I would’ve been replacing the tires with Michelin. Never in my life did I own tires that sounded so bad on certain types of concrete.
That is a great way to describe the noise. "somebody blowing in a pop bottle"
Old 02-21-23 | 01:58 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

That is a great way to describe the noise. "somebody blowing in a pop bottle"

....far away, in the distance.
tedward155 (02-21-23)
Old 02-26-23 | 07:17 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Took the car to the dealer and was given a loaner (21’ RX 350). I can definitely feel the difference in noise level. The 21’ is a bit quieter; it is worth noting it has the standard sunroof not the pano though. My car is still at the dealer and I will keep you all posted.
FMY421 (02-27-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 05:47 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

The dealer checked and stated that the noise level is within specs for a pano-roof-equipped RX.
FMY421 (03-01-23)
Old 02-28-23 | 06:45 PM
BCBrent
Driver

I'm curious how and what measurement did the salesperson get?

Did they use a meter of some sort?What was the db number?

Old 02-28-23 | 08:33 PM
misher
10th Gear

Have the pano and its incredibly quiet for me but I come from a convertible.
Old 03-01-23 | 05:01 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by BCBrent
I'm curious how and what measurement did the salesperson get?

Did they use a meter of some sort?What was the db number?
No, they didn’t. They also didn’t have any available RX with a pano on the lot for test driving either.
Old 03-01-23 | 05:04 AM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by misher
Have the pano and it’s incredibly quiet for me but I come from a convertible.
This is great to hear!

Have you measured the cabin noise level? If not, could you please do at different speeds and share when you get a chance? You can use free apps like Decibel X or an Apple Watch if you have one.
Old 03-01-23 | 11:21 AM
budwom
Advanced

Originally Posted by CCTX
The dealer checked and stated that the noise level is within specs for a pano-roof-equipped RX.
That’s an interesting and not completely clear response. Maybe the spec for the pano roof is a fair amount of noise?
Old 03-01-23 | 12:39 PM
CCTX
Pit Crew

Unfortunately, I was expecting such a conclusion so it didn't surprise me. I am planning on visiting another dealer when I get a chance.
Old 12-24-23 | 02:54 PM
MichaelD56
7th Gear

I'll check out your thread and contribute. But to quickly update, I took the car out again today and drove for about 40 miles on various interstates around Little Rock. It seems to be tire noise. The difference between concrete road and asphalt is unbelievable. On asphalt interstate the car is as quiet and smooth as advertised. On concrete, it is really loud. The car came with Goodyear. Not sure if it's tire specific or if that's just the way it is on concrete.
I totally concur. I took a test drive in an 2024 RX 350h with 21" wheels. On old worn concrete (not rough or pitted, just worn) it was remarkable how much of a louder drone from the tire I got vs a relatively newer asphalt or even a newer concrete road. One was a constant drone/whine, the other nearly silent, quite amazing. What would be nice to know is whether this phenomena could be mitigated with different tires or lower diameter rims.
Old 12-24-23 | 03:49 PM
oneround
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MichaelD56
...What would be nice to know is whether this phenomena could be mitigated with different tires or lower diameter rims.
Having bought a few different tires over my 50+ years of driving I would say the biggest driver in road noise is tread depth and the shape of the tread design. In general I have observed that tread depth and width of grooves make noise. I'm basing this mostly on several iterations of on-road and off-road tires on LX and Land Cruiser vehicles.

Maybe tread compound might be an impact factor as well, seems likely but don't know how anyone other than a tire manufacturer would know that answer.

So, IMHO, different tires would be a big factor. I don't see why different rim diameters would change the volume, but then again I never switched from one rim diameter to another while keeping the same brand/model of tire. Could use some education there.
autotech13 (12-26-23)

Quick Reply: Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?