RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-23 | 11:14 AM
MichaelD56
7th Gear

Originally Posted by oneround
Having bought a few different tires over my 50+ years of driving I would say the biggest driver in road noise is tread depth and the shape of the tread design. In general I have observed that tread depth and width of grooves make noise. I'm basing this mostly on several iterations of on-road and off-road tires on LX and Land Cruiser vehicles.

Maybe tread compound might be an impact factor as well, seems likely but don't know how anyone other than a tire manufacturer would know that answer.

So, IMHO, different tires would be a big factor. I don't see why different rim diameters would change the volume, but then again I never switched from one rim diameter to another while keeping the same brand/model of tire. Could use some education there.
Thanks for response! All the research I've done also suggests tread design, rubber composition and the newer acoustic foam some manufacturers put in the tires theses days can make a significant difference. The Tire Rack website actually does some reviews and ranking on tire "comfort", i.e. noise and ride. It seems to be a universal agreement that a taller sidewall makes for a softer ride, at the expense of handling/cornering. I too have tried multiple tire brands on both Lexus and other cars. The conclusion I've come to is that different top tier "quiet" tires made by Pirelli, Michelin, continental, bridgestone, etc. have acoustic resonance at different frequencies. Any well sound insulated car like lexus, mercedes, audi, genesis, etc will dampen that sound, but depending on what that frequency is, different cars will do better or worse with a specific tire. That said, it makes it almost impossible to say specifically which is the quietest tire because it changes with any given car maufacturer and model. The only definitive test comes from trying a specific tire on a specific model car on all the various road surfaces, e.g. new/old asphalt, new/old/grooved concrete at varous speeds. A frustrating dilemma because my experience has shown that if you DO happen upon that right combination, it can indeed turn that annoying drone into a blissfully quiet ride. I think you simply have to spend the time and do the research, read the reviews, look for anecdotal comments, talk to dealers and then hope for the best.

The following users liked this post:
E3PO (02-11-24)
Old 12-26-23 | 11:27 AM
dklanecky1
Intermediate

This is where I personally find Tire Racks research to be very informative and useful, especially the tires that get actual Tire Rack reviews .

Originally Posted by MichaelD56
Thanks for response! All the research I've done also suggests tread design, rubber composition and the newer acoustic foam some manufacturers put in the tires theses days can make a significant difference. The Tire Rack website actually does some reviews and ranking on tire "comfort", i.e. noise and ride. It seems to be a universal agreement that a taller sidewall makes for a softer ride, at the expense of handling/cornering. I too have tried multiple tire brands on both Lexus and other cars. The conclusion I've come to is that different top tier "quiet" tires made by Pirelli, Michelin, continental, bridgestone, etc. have acoustic resonance at different frequencies. Any well sound insulated car like lexus, mercedes, audi, genesis, etc will dampen that sound, but depending on what that frequency is, different cars will do better or worse with a specific tire. That said, it makes it almost impossible to say specifically which is the quietest tire because it changes with any given car maufacturer and model. The only definitive test comes from trying a specific tire on a specific model car on all the various road surfaces, e.g. new/old asphalt, new/old/grooved concrete at varous speeds. A frustrating dilemma because my experience has shown that if you DO happen upon that right combination, it can indeed turn that annoying drone into a blissfully quiet ride. I think you simply have to spend the time and do the research, read the reviews, look for anecdotal comments, talk to dealers and then hope for the best.
Old 12-26-23 | 01:38 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Alex on Autos did and full review on the 2023 NX 350h and gave the noise level an A-. We have that vehicle and have driven a 2023 RX 350h twice as a loaner for four days. It is considerably quieter than the NX which is quiet.
Old 01-22-24 | 03:23 PM
ShadowGS4
Rookie

Just a quick note on the decibel apps...Decibel X seems to run high. I did some research into these sound level apps and supposedly the NIOSH SLM is supposed to be the most accurate one (for iPhone). I've found that it reads about 10-20 db lower than Decibel X in some situations. For instance, my 2014 4Runner (on BFG K02 tires) at 70+ MPH is in the low-to-mid 70's db on NIOSH, but pushing 85-90 db on DecibelX. I'm not sure which one to trust at this point, though. So, just know that unless we get someone with a profession sound pressure level measuing device, it's going to be a toss up as to what the actual level is when using these apps. I do have an Apple Watch and the decibels on it more closely aligned with the NIOSH SLM app. I am sorta **** retentive about the noise as I have tinnitus and I do my best to protect my hearing to make sure the ringing doesn't get worse.
Old 01-22-24 | 03:46 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ShadowGS4
I'm not sure which one to trust at this point.
I think you can use any device, just measure the baseline in the quiest sedan you can get your hands on -- a W222 Mercedes S-Class (or a Rolls-Royce if you can swing that )
Then measure all other cars.

Old 02-08-24 | 10:17 AM
emreergen
3rd Gear

I'm here to complain about the engine noise in the cabin for my 2024 RX350Hybrid. for a Lexus north of $67k, it is very loud.
I'm not too much worried about wind or road noise. The engine noise is unacceptable. I'm seriously thinking maybe something wrong with mine. The vibration on the gas pedal does not help either.
I had a 2016 RX350 gas version and it was the smoothest thing and I bought that one 4 year old used.
I test drove the 2024 RX350 turbo version and remember it being loud as well.
anoop (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24 | 10:29 AM
anoop
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ShadowGS4
Just a quick note on the decibel apps...Decibel X seems to run high. I did some research into these sound level apps and supposedly the NIOSH SLM is supposed to be the most accurate one (for iPhone). I've found that it reads about 10-20 db lower than Decibel X in some situations. For instance, my 2014 4Runner (on BFG K02 tires) at 70+ MPH is in the low-to-mid 70's db on NIOSH, but pushing 85-90 db on DecibelX. I'm not sure which one to trust at this point, though. So, just know that unless we get someone with a profession sound pressure level measuing device, it's going to be a toss up as to what the actual level is when using these apps. I do have an Apple Watch and the decibels on it more closely aligned with the NIOSH SLM app. I am sorta **** retentive about the noise as I have tinnitus and I do my best to protect my hearing to make sure the ringing doesn't get worse.
What do professional reviewers use? If you care about it that much, then you may have to invest in something like that. I have used DecibelX and I found it to be very high and very variable and thus essentially useless other than maybe for relative comparison.
Old 02-08-24 | 11:28 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by emreergen
I'm here to complain about the engine noise in the cabin for my 2024 RX350Hybrid. for a Lexus north of $67k, it is very loud.
I'm not too much worried about wind or road noise. The engine noise is unacceptable. I'm seriously thinking maybe something wrong with mine. The vibration on the gas pedal does not help either.
I had a 2016 RX350 gas version and it was the smoothest thing and I bought that one 4 year old used.
I test drove the 2024 RX350 turbo version and remember it being loud as well.
I test drove F-Sport it's even louder. I could feel and hear every little bump and pothole on our terrible Los Angeles roads.
Come to think of it, all F-Sports were loud like that, regardless of model year or RX generation.

The other day I drove a 2014 LS460L. The thing was silky smooth, floating down the road in complete silence like a cloud, or (RR) ghost. I am seriously considering going back to a sedan.

New Lexus products have lost their smooth luxury plush ride in their Relentless Pursuit of Sport.

Last edited by WolfyLS460; 02-09-24 at 08:04 AM.
autotech13 (02-08-24)
Old 02-08-24 | 01:10 PM
emreergen
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
I test drove F-Sport it's even louder. I could feel and hear every little bump and pothole on our terrible Los Angeles roads.
Come to think of it, all F-Sports were loud like that, regardless of model year or RX generation.

The other day I drove a 2014 LS460L. The thing was silky smooth, floating down the road in complete silence like a cloud, or (RR) ghost. I am seriously considering going back to a sedan.

New Lexus products have lost their smooth luxury ride in their Relentless Pursuit of Sport.
Last thing I'd call the sound/engine noise of the 350H 4banger is Sporty! I really think something is wrong with mine. I've ordered it without a test drive. Felt obligated to complete the purchase when it arrived.
Would not spend that much on it today. Thank god resale values are still very good.
autotech13 (02-09-24)
Old 02-09-24 | 06:44 AM
Urlik
Instructor

F Sport Handling or F Sport Performance? Did you check what the shock settings were set on? They are adjustable on both.
Old 02-09-24 | 08:01 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Urlik
F Sport Handling or F Sport Performance? Did you check what the shock settings were set on? They are adjustable on both.
Yes F-Sport in "Comfort" mode. Not so much!

I recall in old days non-luxury cars like the Avalon had a luxury and plush ride. Today's SUV's -- only the most expensive ones with air suspension like the GLS.
Again -- "plush" is not the same as merely smooth and quiet, it's a completely different sensation of soft, comfort and luxury.

Old 02-09-24 | 08:07 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Yes F-Sport in "Comfort" mode. Not so much!

I recall in old days non-luxury cars like the Avalon had a luxury and plush ride. Today's SUV's -- only the most expensive ones with air suspension like the GLS.
Again -- "plush" is not the same as merely smooth and quiet, it's a completely different sensation of soft, comfort and luxury.
Again, F Sport Handling or F Sport Performance? This goes to your noise complaint.
Old 02-09-24 | 08:18 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Again, F Sport Handling or F Sport Performance? This goes to your noise complaint.
Don't know, but didn't matter. I am complaining about the noise and the non-plush, non-luxury ride on a so-called luxury SUV.

Old 02-09-24 | 08:49 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Don't know, but didn't matter. .
It does since the F Sport Performance pumps fake engine noises into the cabin but whatever.
Old 02-09-24 | 09:05 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

It does since the F Sport Performance pumps fake engine noises into the cabin but whatever.
I see you're still stuck on the noise. That does not address the rest of my complaint.

Last edited by WolfyLS460; 02-09-24 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Did anyone measure the cabin noise level?