RX - 5th Gen (2023-present) Discussion topics related to the 2023 and up RX models

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-23, 02:34 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
At least the Guila is a great drive. Unlike a soccer mom vehicle. And yeah, as a general rule, extended warranties are a sucker's bet. I am counting on the Toyota/Lexus reputation for reliability to not need one. But if in 4 years it does, we can still get it from the dealer at a small upcharge, but i would probably sell it.
I have no interest in buying an extended warranty, but I wonder how much more it is if you buy it at the end of 4 years. A $3000 warranty will now cost the potential buyer $600 (5% bank CD x 4 years) if bought day one versus at the end of year 4. So if the $3000 warranty costs less than $3600 at the end, it pays to wait. You’ll also know if your car seems flawless or problematic.
The following users liked this post:
Urlik (04-10-23)
Old 04-10-23, 02:41 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
I have no interest in buying an extended warranty, but I wonder how much more it is if you buy it at the end of 4 years. A $3000 warranty will now cost the potential buyer $600 (5% bank CD x 4 years) if bought day one versus at the end of year 4. So if the $3000 warranty costs less than $3600 at the end, it pays to wait. You’ll also know if your car seems flawless or problematic.
From my earlier post: "...(~$450 US surcharge) to get it say, the day before your factory 4 year warranty expires". Worth the wait I would say.
Old 04-10-23, 02:44 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagleboy99
From my earlier post: "...(~$450 US surcharge) to get it say, the day before your factory 4 year warranty expires". Worth the wait I would say.
Agreed. Lots of things can happen in 4 years. You may not need it or want it.
Old 04-11-23, 05:11 AM
goodyrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Jerry-Midwest

Originally Posted by dklanecky1
This is the way to play this game if you want the warranty, local dealer will almost always match the better price if you show them proof of the better price. It's great fun at closing time when they try to guilt you into "don't you want tp protect your new vehicle" and you answer of course I do if you match a much better price..
I give my dealer first shot on Lexus Platinum, 0 deductible, I let them know I’m shopping. If they are higher I don’t give them a chance to match. I’ve bought 2 from Jerry. He takes the time to quote me, and it’s lower. I’m not playing games with my dealer.
Old 04-11-23, 12:05 PM
jahnjva
Intermediate

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

That's true but Lexus gives you a 4 year/50k reg and 6 year/70k power train warranty therefore an extended warr. is a waste in my opinion. My 2008 LS never had anything but basic maintenance and wearable parts replaced (eg brakes) . One of the main reasons people buy Lexus/Toyota is because they are more reliable. Maybe I should have waited a year since it's a new model but hopeful anything major will be covered in the next 6 years. If I bought a Land Rover, Jaguar, or MB I might think about ext warr but not Lexus.
ggebhardt (04-11-23)
Old 04-12-23, 05:14 AM
goodyrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
That's true but Lexus gives you a 4 year/50k reg and 6 year/70k power train warranty therefore an extended warr. is a waste in my opinion. My 2008 LS never had anything but basic maintenance and wearable parts replaced (eg brakes) . One of the main reasons people buy Lexus/Toyota is because they are more reliable. Maybe I should have waited a year since it's a new model but hopeful anything major will be covered in the next 6 years. If I bought a Land Rover, Jaguar, or MB I might think about ext warr but not Lexus.
Depends how long you’re keeping the car/SUV
Old 04-12-23, 10:10 AM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by jahnjva
I'm with you. I bought the Lexus for reliability above all else, and my 2013 (which I've kept after buying a 2023 a few weeks ago) has required absolutely zero repairs beyond brakes and routine maintenance. My own view is that you just don't need the extended warranty, even if you plan on keeping the car for a long time (as I do).
Old 04-12-23, 01:49 PM
Julius071
Intermediate

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

For sure Toyota/Lexus are very reliable and always will purchase extended warranty for that "oh s**) moment. After coming back from a three week vacation our previous owned '19 Rav4 XSE (garaged entire three weeks) radio crapped out, it goes on and off and carplay wont come on. From what our service people had told us this is a common problem (I didn't believe them because if that's the case Toyota would've issued a recall) replacing the radio unit and labor would've cost us $1,500 and the extended warranty practically paid for itself in this instance. And if you are going to tell me I should've put a battery tender on the Rav before a long power idle, im going to say sorry I wont put a battery tender ever for that reason.
Old 05-16-23, 04:30 PM
LexNYC83
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyTonio
Any Toyota / Lexus dealer can sell you a Lexus Extra Care Platinum plan which is backed directly by Lexus. If you choose to go through a Toyota dealer, just make sure they aren't in the South east region as they are not able to offer the official Toyota warranty but rather a third party warranty backed by JM Families (the company that owns Southeast Toyota). The warranty is honored at any US Lexus dealer and historically, Jerry has been among the cheapest. I surprisingly managed to snag a cheaper price than Jerry through Earnhardt Toyota. It was $200 cheaper through Earnhardt on a 10 year, 125K plan.
You got a contact?
Old 05-17-23, 07:59 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you buy an extended warranty on delivery then I believe oil changes ( not exactly sure how many) are covered and will help off set some of the cost of it
Old 05-17-23, 09:09 AM
Urlik
Instructor

Received 585 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
If you buy an extended warranty on delivery then I believe oil changes ( not exactly sure how many) are covered and will help off set some of the cost of it
There are so many companies that offer extended warranties that a blanket statement like this would probably be often incorrect.
Old 05-17-23, 04:59 PM
Eagleboy99
Instructor

Received 276 Likes on 197 Posts

IME non-OEM warranties are sub-optimal.
Jets (06-08-23)
Old 05-18-23, 10:53 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 502 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Deeps1
I think you are talking about the maintenance plan and not the extended warranty.
Old 05-18-23, 11:55 AM
Deeps1
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
I think you are talking about the maintenance plan and not the extended warranty.
i was at the dealer a month ago and IIRC he mentioned extended warranty. now my present vehicle has a ECP which i bought on delivery and it came with 4 oil changes which had to be doe within the first 2 years. if you buy the ECP after the first 3 yrs or something you would be missing out on these oil changes. This is in Canada so dont know whether its country specific.
Old 05-18-23, 12:26 PM
faisal1969
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We bought a 2008 RX350 in 2007 and not a single issue until now (16 years) at 144k miles. Purchased 2021 RX350 again two year ago. Extended warranties are totally waste of money if you buy a Toyota/Lexus. Just make sure you regularly perform maintenance (Oil change every 5k, tire rotation, brake pads, etc.). There is a very slight possibility that the car may show up some major issue, but you will find it within the regular warranty period. Instead, invest the money and use it for repairs.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty